Golgo 13 (1973) with Ken Takakura

ben

The Japanese film industry does not cater at all to the English speaking market. And of course you'd need a mortage just to cover the cost of a single DVD.

Just received the G13 movie from yesasia.com and it was worth every penny.

Much, much better than the disappointing Kowloon Assignment with Chiba. Solid action, Takakura's portrayal of G13 is dead-on, and the helicopter & desert scenes at the end pretty much made the whole thing for me. On top of that, you have an assignment worthy of Golgo's abilities (as a lot of stories in the manga/TV series are often so easy for Duke to pull off, there's no tension whatsoever).

By the way Takuma, when you say Ken Takakura throws in some French in the movie, are you referring to when he exchanges "merci" with the guy at the hotel? That's actually Persian... the word for "thank you" sounds the same as French.

In fact, all the actors besides Takakura are Iranian I believe - their voices are overdubbed in Japanese and it looks like the whole movie was shot in the Persian language.

Anyway, despite there being no subtitles, the story is pretty easy to follow onscreen, and the action as well as Duke's characteristic "...." expression doesn't need any translating. If you're a fan of G13, I second everyone who says to pick this up.

By the way Takuma, when you say Ken Takakura throws in some French in the movie, are you referring to when he exchanges "merci" with the guy at the hotel? That's actually Persian... the word for "thank you" sounds the same as French.

hah, that explains :tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Corey over at Kurotokagi Gumi just released a subtitled version of the Takakura's Golgo 13. Definitely picking it up, assuming it's from the remastered release.

Not sure. I grabbed this from a torrent a few months ago. Good subs. Only thing is... I thought it was totally boring! :ooh: All these years I've been searching for it, I kept hearing about how great it was. It nearly bored me to tears. Am I alone in this opinion? Has anyone else seen this and felt the same way?

Not sure. I grabbed this from a torrent a few months ago. Good subs. Only thing is... I thought it was totally boring! :ooh: All these years I've been searching for it, I kept hearing about how great it was. It nearly bored me to tears. Am I alone in this opinion? Has anyone else seen this and felt the same way?

Say it ain't so!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Say it ain't so!

Wish I could. :crossedlips:

I'm a fan of Takakura-san, and he looked very cool... but the film just dragged on and on. There was only one moment that amused me. The rest I was bored stiff. And I watched it under optimum conditions too. I had a rare night home alone. I watched it on the big screen at a "manly" volume, totally comfortable with my feet propped up and my phone on silent. Honestly, I was so bored I turned the movie off... with only ten minutes left! :squigglemouth: I just didn't care at all. I can't recall the last time I didn't finish a film I'd never seen before. This one was a huge disappointment for me.

I sincerely hope that you feel differently, and that you enjoy it bro. Maybe it was just me.

I have to agree with Bob. I also came into the movie optimistically, but really, it turned out just be an hour and a half excuse for Ken Takakura to look cool. To his credit, he made a hell of a career off of just being able to do that, but that was also with the help of great directors like Yoji Yamada and Yasuo Furuhata. This is what happens when those caliber of guys aren't at the helm, and there exists the pre-notion that simply having Ken Takakura in a suit and killing people would be good enough. For a better example of that formula, watch An Outlaw instead (also available at Kurotokagi.)

The original Golgo 13 also had crazy, excessive amounts of action, like one instance where one of Golgo's targets is going to die anyway because he's jumped off a skyscraper, yet Golgo still shoots him in the forehead with a sniper rifle mid-way through the fall. His brain and guts then proceed to splatter on the concrete floor. Okay, so expecting that kind of action might be a bit much, but Golgo 13 was also notable for the way it integrated its character into real life events (like the falling of the Berlin Wall or the assassinations of famous political figures). It's a running joke among Golgo 13 fans that he was responsible for every important political event of the 20th century.

There's none of that here. Just a boring subplot about an underground crime figure trafficking women, along with a group of cronies that are more laughable than fear-inducing. And I guess the action highlight is supposed to be a car chase at the end of the film that just goes on and on? The film is also an awkward Iranian-Japanese co-production where all the Iranian actors are dubbed over in Japanese and all the action scenes conveniently take place in the most desolate, and out of reach places (I guess back then Iran had some kind of restriction against filming action scenes in public areas).