Golgo 13 (1973) with Ken Takakura

ben

hello, I was wondering if there are any circulating copies of the first "Golgo 13" live action film starring Ken Takakura, hopefully with subtitles, whether fan subbed, or otherwise without.. i know there was a DVD release in Japan in recent years, but it is expensive. thanks.

You're right, bro, it came out in Japan last year without any subs.

I've yet to come across anyone who has a copy, subbed or not - sadly!!

I've badly wanted to see this for years. I'm a big fan of Golgo 13 and have enjoyed much of Ken Takakura's work in Yakuza films and the like. We need to get a copy and get if fansubbed somehow.

I might be a little biased and even though I haven't seen Ken as Golgo 13 yet, to me, Sonny Chiba as Golgo 13 was perfect. He had the look, the attitude, and the total bad ass that goes with playing such a prolific character. Assignment Kowloon is one of my favorite Sonny Chiba flicks...

I've badly wanted to see this for years. I'm a big fan of Golgo 13 and have enjoyed much of Ken Takakura's work in Yakuza films and the like. We need to get a copy and get if fansubbed somehow.

I might be a little biased and even though I haven't seen Ken as Golgo 13 yet, to me, Sonny Chiba as Golgo 13 was perfect. He had the look, the attitude, and the total bad ass that goes with playing such a prolific character. Assignment Kowloon is one of my favorite Sonny Chiba flicks...

regarding Ken Takakura, yes i've enjoyed his work, i'd classify him as one of my favourite actors even though my collection is limited due to language barrier.. Mr Chiba's film is great as you said, and one of my favourites also

about the DVD, a user on youtube commented stating that he had a version of the film with Mr Takakura, i contacted him and he is offering copies with 'cover art' and 'printed dvds' for $30, but i am hesitant unless he provides a clip; ultimately though, if i get a new job, i might end up ordering the Japanese DVD at some point, and then look into getting fan subs produced.

Used copies of a region 2 DVD will show up on Amazon here and there, but they are almost always in the UK and the info is usually sketchy. Even though they claim to be the Ken Takakura version, I have never been confident enough to pull the trigger on it! Half the time they have cover art from one of the anime releases attached, so that makes me instantly suspicious.

I'd rank the Takakura film slightly above the Chiba version. Neither really lives up to their potential, but Takakura's film benefits from the unusual setting. The film was shot in Iran (which was in good terms with Japan in the 70's due to active oil trade) giving the story a very original and interesting background. There's quite a bit of spaghetti western style visuals in the film.

In terms of storyline it's a standard affair. Most of the cast are local actors, but they all speak fluent Japanese... Takakura throws in a few words of French for a reason that goes beyond me.

The action is ok, featuring some nice bits towards the end. Golgo's M16 is a bit under-used in action but still gets a pretty decent amount of love. Golgo vs. Helicopter is a scene to remember.

Oh, and the other reason why this film beats Chiba's film. Takakura's is the bigger badass of the two, obviously. The God of yakuza films, and a pretty damn cool guy in other genres too.

And guys, you're not seriously thinking about paying $30 for some stinking home bootleg without subs when you can support Toei by buying their official Japanese release, are you??

gorugo1.jpg

gorugo2.jpg

gorugo3.jpg

gorugo4.jpg

Oh, and the other reason why this film beats Chiba's film. Takakura's is the bigger badass of the two, obviously.

WHAT?!! :ooh:

Somebody, hold me back!!! :tongue:

Seriously, thanks for the screenshots, bro and the review - sounds a lean, mean flick.

I've still got 30 eps of the TV show to watch yet - looks good!

WHAT?!! :ooh:

Somebody, hold me back!!! :tongue:

haha. Chiba's a mean mofo, too. The second or third coolest guy on the planet actually (beaten only by Takakura, and maybe Yusaku Matsuda... it's a shame Matsuda didn't do a Golgo 13 film...).

odioustrident
haha. Chiba's a mean mofo, too. The second or third coolest guy on the planet actually (beaten only by Takakura, and maybe Yusaku Matsuda... it's a shame Matsuda didn't do a Golgo 13 film...).

Good to have another serious Japanese film fan on the forum, not that I qualify in the slightest.

Welcome! :xd:

I think a lot of people here need some introduction to Sukeban Deka, myself included.

Good to have another serious Japanese film fan on the forum, not that I qualify in the slightest.

Welcome! :xd:

I think a lot of people here need some introduction to Sukeban Deka, myself included.

Thanks. And yeah, Sukeban Deka is a life changing experience. You'll find yourself bankrupt after you've acquired all the dvds :tongue:

But seriously, the first series is beyond awesome. The second is even much better, one of the coolest things to come out of Japan since school girls, and it has plenty of them, too. The third series would be my favorite of them all if it didn't go too much into remaking Star Wars as a teenage ninja epic towards the end. But the first 30 episodes are just amazing. See Yuka Onishi beat ninjas with Mantis style kung fu!

And in the second series Nanno goes all John Woo with her yoyo's... using two yoyo's at the same time. Plus all the movie references, Casablanca remake episode etc etc.

The movies don't even compare. Plus they're essentially non-sensical if you haven't seen the series. Re-union epic doesn't feel very epic if you don't know the characters in the first place... :tongue: But I do quite like the second film.

Sorry, got a bit too excited.... :angel:

Unfortunately no subbed release of Sukeban Deka's except that fan subs should be available for the first series. Although, the series should be quite easy to follow even for those who don’t know any Japanese (or just basics). You can find episode plot summaries on the net, and the series is quite action packed. Maybe a bit less so in the beginning, but the second and third series usually pack two action scenes into each 25 minute episode. Plus increasingly great soundtracks. The third series has not one, not two, but five theme songs....

btw, Yukari Oshima does a cameo in the first episode of the second series. It’s a brief nunchaku fight scene. And Masashi Ishibashi (the villain in every Sonny Chiba film ever made) is in the third series. That being being said, you should keep in mind these are 80's idol shows, so don't go in expecting HK-level fights from regular cast. The action scenes are awesome, but that's because they feature a great mix of cheesiness, cute girls, and beyond awesome concepts. Yuki Saito taking down an entire motorcycle gang with her iron yoyo that could make a hole in your forehead... far from believable, but totally entertaning. The action scenes improve in each series, with the ninja fights in the thirds series being the obvious highlight.

There's another high school action series called Rebellion League of Girls in Sailor Uniform. While still an idol show, this one was choreographed by Sonny Chiba's Japan Action Club. Sometimes you feel sorry for what those JAC fellas made these kawaii idols go through... backflips, roundhouse kicks, running on people's shoulders... and the classic scene where an entire football team attacks out poor heroines...

Then there was the Japanese release of Schwarzenegger classic film Commando, which resulted in Shoujo Commando Izumi. Now, this has the greatest opening ever, with seifuku dressed Izumi escaping from a military base... with the help of a bazooka. The series suffers from overuse of jerky slow motion and underuse of commando stuff, but it's still a fun series.

... one of the coolest things to come out of Japan since school girls, and it has plenty of them, too. :

Yes..Yes ..But IT DOESN'T BEAT THE SCHOOL GIRLS ..!!

106041_3.jpg

Just ask Darth Wader:tongue::bigsmile::xd: !!

Nice to have you here Takuma !

Athena ..♥

Yes..Yes ..But IT DOESN'T BEAT THE SCHOOL GIRLS ..!!

That goes without saying :wink:

koukousei.jpg

But you could perhaps find something even better... say, nekomimi maid with megane :nerd:

ok, since the topic title is still Golgo 13, I better post something related. A still shot from the dvd shall do the job for now

ublog6.jpg

This looks really cool, and I wasn't aware that there was a dvd release either. I almost picked up a 2 x vhs pack from Yahoo a while back - This version and the Chiba version, but I decided that it was a bit too pricey, especially as I already had the Chiba version on DVD. Will keep my eyes peeled for the Takakura version :bigsmile:

stephenmiller

Any tips-info for getting a good DVD copy of the Takakura version of Golgo 13? I am still interested in finding one (apart from the Chiba one I already have).

Takuma, nice to see you here and thanks for your review.

I have no interest in the bootleg mentioned, I just wanted to inform others.

When finances allow, I'll get the Japanese DVD from Yesasia.

How is this movie The Drifting Avenger,

Uhm, well, cause it's called The Drifting Avenger.

actually, I get it. But for a moment I was really confused :tongue:

As for how is the film, I haven't seen it. But I'm really looking forward to the dvd release.

Here's a review in English

http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-driftingavenger.html

It's a bit negative but that ok. I certainly wouldn't let anyone's personal opinions affect on my expections. Besides, this reviewer bashes most yakuza films, Sonny Chiba movies, and pinky violence masterpieces as unwatchable trash.

Here's some info and pics in Japanese

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~kazu60/wwase1/toseigun.htm

And more:

http://artoflife.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/07/post-b48d.html

Where did you see this being released, I cannot find it anywhere.

It was just announced by Toei a few days ago

- http://www.allcinema.net/prog/show_dvd.php?num_sid=769046

- http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%8D%92%E9%87%8E%E3%81%AE%E6%B8%A1%E4%B8%96%E4%BA%BA-DVD-%E9%82%A6%E7%94%BB/dp/B004EUP97Q%3FSubscriptionId%3D1PGV4GGGAXZ1AMXAKKG2%26tag%3Da_si-22%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB004EUP97Q

- http://www.yesasia.com/global/kouyanotoseinin/1023809902-0-0-0-en/info.html

CDJapan will surely have it also, but they don't update their release calendar so early. But once they do, it will be on this page:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DSTD-3347

No subs on the dvd, of course.