Scott Adkins/Jean Claude Van Damme in "Weapon"

Drunken Monk

The only film I've seen him in is The Shepherd and I'd imagine that goes for most of the mainstream audience. Van Damme's name still has recognition factor - Scott Adkins' doesn't.

JCVD is still a highly well-known name, but really outside of forums like this who really watches his films any more? if Scott Adkins does his thing in his own movies people will gradually discover him, whether they are renting a DVD, watching a late-night action movie like Undisputed 3. I mean you're hardly going to recommend some third rate straight to DVD Van Damme movie just to see Scott Adkins. Personally I think he's better off making his own films along with Florentine, or whoever.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

No one is going to get famous making those DTV movies without an established star.

At least with a Van Damme movie he has a chance of reaching a wider audience than before.

ShaOW!linDude

Both your points have merit.

JCVD's name recognition will draw a larger audience but that also means Adkins' action screen time will be more limited in scope. Larger egos may also throw their weight around thus limiting what he'd be allowed to do. Not saying that's the case but it is a possibility.

DTV movies will allow Adkins more action screen time. They probably take less bank to make, too. He did come to most everyone's attention in Undisputed 2, which was DTV. This generated lots of interest in his following films: Ninja and Undisputed 3 both of which were also DTV. I think he need to hang with that a little bit longer to get more followers built up.

No one is going to get famous making those DTV movies without an established star.

At least with a Van Damme movie he has a chance of reaching a wider audience than before.

let's be honest Van Damme is a direct to video movies star, has been releasing direct to video movies for a long time. Okay his star is rising again but for how long? It remains to be seen if any martial arts star can reach the heady heights that Van Damme and Steven Seagal had at the height of their career, in this day and age.but with every movie Scott Adkins makes he can slowly build a reputation.you need to be making movies that action fans talk about, recommend to their friends… Or just strangers.

If Van Damme was going to make a seriously kick ass action film with a big budget and proper theatrical release, not just some Mickey Mouse release in a couple of theatres in a few cities in America. I would think you would probably have a point mark. As it is those Van Damme fans aren't seeing that special something from Adkins and going "Woah who is this guy?" . He's instantly forgotten with the movie along with probably 99% of all people watching. Whereas in his own films he's getting the opportunity to showcase his abilities. There is probably far less people watching but more of those that do are thinking "who the fuck is this guy he kicks arse!" then look out for more of his movies. Once you've got a fan you need more movies and that Van Damme shit doesn't cut the mustard

I think he needs to make a movie with Tony Jaa. Tony Jaa wasn't known until he made Ong Bak which everybody thought "wow, that guys amazing, his stunts are better than Jackie Chan," and stuff. I think word of mouth really helped that film. Working with JCVD isn't going to help Scott because he constantly has to hold back to make JCVD look good, taking away from him. Thats one thing I always liked about Jackie Chan, he always made his opponents look really good, almost better than him. Thats very respectable. I think if Scott Adkins keeps cranking out these amazing DTV movies like Undisputed 3 someone will eventually take notice and he'll get his big shot.

Problem is Tony Jaa is pretty much a DTV star as well. The last two ONG BAKs got very limited theatrical showings in the US, as in midnight screenings 2 weeks before the dvds were released.

Cast Scott in a Remo Williams reboot and you'll have something.

I think he needs to make a movie with Tony Jaa. Tony Jaa wasn't known until he made Ong Bak which everybody thought "wow, that guys amazing, his stunts are better than Jackie Chan," and stuff. I think word of mouth really helped that film. Working with JCVD isn't going to help Scott because he constantly has to hold back to make JCVD look good, taking away from him. Thats one thing I always liked about Jackie Chan, he always made his opponents look really good, almost better than him. Thats very respectable. I think if Scott Adkins keeps cranking out these amazing DTV movies like Undisputed 3 someone will eventually take notice and he'll get his big shot.

ShaOW!linDude

Cast Scott in a Remo Williams reboot and you'll have something.

DUDE!!!!!!..........That's genius! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Remo Wiiliams: The Adventure Begins is a fun movie if not a bit cheesy. If anything ought to get a remake/reboot, this is it. And Adkins would be great!

DUDE!!!!!!..........That's genius! Why hadn't I thought of that?

Remo Wiiliams: The Adventure Begins is a fun movie if not a bit cheesy. If anything ought to get a remake/reboot, this is it. And Adkins would be great!

I couldn't agree more!! Oh man this needs to happen!!!! I think Adkins has the chops to pull it off for sure!!

I posted the Adkins subway fight from NINJA on Remo Williams co-creator Warren Murphy's Facebook page, and suggested if Scott learned a New Jersey accent, he'd make a great Remo. This was his response:

"great scene. would you believe that the geniuses behind the remo movie intentionally avoided martial arts because "nobody likes chop-saki." sheesh."

ShaOW!linDude
I posted the Adkins subway fight from NINJA on Remo Williams co-creator Warren Murphy's Facebook page, and suggested if Scott learned a New Jersey accent, he'd make a great Remo. This was his response:

"great scene. would you believe that the geniuses behind the remo movie intentionally avoided martial arts because "nobody likes chop-saki." sheesh."

Figures!:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Well, it's still a cult classic (to me anyway) but can you imagine the cult classic it would be if they had incorporated MA like they should've? What a bunch of goobers!

Archived