Scott Adkins/Jean Claude Van Damme in "Weapon"

Drunken Monk

blue_skies
AlbertV: That is a very big statemnet and IMO you are way off with that! Chow Yun-Fat and John Woo made some great movies together what have Scott Adkins and Isaac Florentine made that you consider great?

I have to agree with this even as much as I like Scott Adkins he hasn't been in a single great movie yet. Undisputed 3 is his best of what I have seen him star in , which I would say was very good but they would have to go a long way to catch up with John Woo and Chow yun Fat IMHO.

and also scott adkins has been signed to star in Universal soldier 4

don't you mean Universal soldier 7?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
blue_skies
blue skies there is 6 total including the new one in production, 2 without Van Damme. Out of all the films so far part 1 and Regeneration have been my favorite.

Universal Soldier is a 1992 science fiction film, directed by Roland Emmerich. The film stars Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren as soldiers who kill each other in Vietnam but are reanimated in a secret Army project along with a large group of other previously dead soldiers.

Universal Soldier: The Return, released in 1999, was the second theatrical film in the Universal Soldier series.

Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms is a 1998 direct-to-video science fiction film and a sequel to the 1992 film Universal Soldier. Despite featuring the same characters as the original, the film features none of the original cast or crew. It was followed the same year with another sequel titled Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business. In 1999, a theatrical sequel, once again starring Van Damme, Universal Soldier: The Return was produced, which essentially ignored the plotline of the direct-to-video sequels entirely.

Universal Soldier: Regeneration is the third film in the Universal Soldier series. The film is directed by John Hyams, the screenplay is by Victor Ostrovsky, and it stars Dolph Lundgren and Jean-Claude Van Damme, both reprising their roles from previous films in the series.

In May 2010, it was announced that Van Damme and Lundgren would return for another official installment. Universal Soldier: A New Dimension will be the first in the series to be filmed in 3-D. Hyams will also return as director (and writer).

I stand corrected. :bigsmile:I honestly could have sworn I have seen three straight to video sequels without Van Damme.

One Armed Boxer
That is a very big statemnet and IMO you are way off with that! Chow Yun-Fat and John Woo made some great movies together what have Scott Adkins and Isaac Florentine made that you consider great?

I'll have to third daisho2004....Florentine has made 5 movies with Adkins either starring or in a supporting role - 'Special Forces', 'Undisputed 2', 'The Shepherd', 'Ninja', & 'Undisputed 3'.

While they're all great as no frills action movies, comparing them to the collaborations of John Woo & Chow Yun Fat is just a no brainer - 'A Better Tomorrow', 'A Better Tomorrow 2', 'The Killer', 'Once a Thief', & 'Hard Boiled'...these are classics of HK cinema, and will be forever. I don't think Florentine & Adkins have made a movie that could be labeled in such a way as yet.

Of course I hope 'Weapon' turns out to be great, but I have my suspicions after sitting through Florentine's last movie with Van Damme & Adkins, 'The Shepherd'. It was a pretty poor movie in my opinion, not even redeemed by the final Van Damme vs Adkins fight, which if anyone is interested in checking out I've linked the video below -

bHwyKhajTOw

blue_skies

Of course I hope 'Weapon' turns out to be great, but I have my suspicions after sitting through Florentine's last movie with Van Damme & Adkins, 'The Shepherd'. It was a pretty poor movie in my opinion, not even redeemed by the final Van Damme vs Adkins fight, which if anyone is interested in checking out I've linked the video below -

bHwyKhajTOw

In my opinion Van Damme is past it and my expectations for this movie are low. If it wasn't for Adkins I probably wouldn't bother reading this thread, but will still only be checking out the film when it appeared on TV. It's been a long time since I've considered spending any money on a new Van Damme movie and I doubt that will ever change now.

After watching the Van Damme reality TV show I did get the impression that he has an enormous ego, so certainly wouldn't want to be upstaged by Scott Adkins. Adkins should really be starring not playing second fiddle to JCVD in my honest opinion.

ShaOW!linDude

I was under the impression that Adkins and JCVD were supposed to be teammates in this rather than adversaries until I saw the clips. Don't know where I came up with that assumption.

Yeah, I don't think JCVD wants to be upstaged by Adkins either. Can't blame Adkins for wanting to work with him though as he considered VD a role model.

Adkins definitely needs more headlining material in his repertoire. I'd love another installment with the anti-hero Boyka character. He's the most complete fighter in the world, you know.:tongue:

Yeah, I don't think JCVD wants to be upstaged by Adkins either. Can't blame Adkins for wanting to work with him though as he considered VD a role model.

Adkins definitely needs more headlining material in his repertoire. I'd love another installment with the anti-hero Boyka character. He's the most complete fighter in the world, you know.:tongue:

i agree with you.

it`s painful to watch adkins play it down for van damme tho.

i don`t think jcvd at his best could have kept up with adkins.

One Armed Boxer
Adkins definitely needs more headlining material in his repertoire. I'd love another installment with the anti-hero Boyka character.

ShaOWlin!Dude.....I couldn't agree more! We need an 'Undisputed 4', but instead of it being an MMA underground tournament movie as the previous installments have been, it's time to take advantage of the ending that was given to us in 'Undisputed 3' and make the fourth one a modern day actioner.

Adkins fully unleashed in a starring role in a modern environment would be great to see, imagine how great he'd be in a movie similar to one like in the other thread you've posted recently, 'Life is a Bet'! 'Ninja' gave us brief glimpses, but the overall feeling was too much comic book like in it's tone, the 'Undisputed' series pretty much demands gritty action!

ShaOW!linDude
We need an 'Undisputed 4', but instead of it being an MMA underground tournament movie as the previous installments have been, it's time to take advantage of the ending that was given to us in 'Undisputed 3' and make the fourth one a modern day actioner.

Amen and pass the gravy!

The underground tournament theme has been done twice with the character now. Should they do an "Undisputed 4" I'd like to know how Boyka landed in prison to begin with. While he'd no saint, maybe it could be that he went up the river for something he didn't do and now seeks revenge on those who put him there. Or maybe people seek him out for revenge now that he's out of prison. Or combine the 2 premises: Maybe they're out to get him before he comes to get them. I'd love to see him on the run fighting to survive. There's a lot of ways the character could be played out. Dadgummit! Maybe I should write a treatment myself.:tongue:

ShaOW!linDude

it`s painful to watch adkins play it down for van damme tho.

i don`t think jcvd at his best could have kept up with adkins.

Ain't it though? You'd think it would make JCVD step up his game to some degree.

You know, when JCVD hit the scene, it was something else. He was a breath of fresh air. But there is now doubt IMO that if you were to compare Adkin's initial films and his that Adkins wins hands down. But that's me.

blue_skies
ShaOWlin!Dude.....I couldn't agree more! We need an 'Undisputed 4', but instead of it being an MMA underground tournament movie as the previous installments have been, it's time to take advantage of the ending that was given to us in 'Undisputed 3' and make the fourth one a modern day actioner.

Adkins fully unleashed in a starring role in a modern environment would be great to see, imagine how great he'd be in a movie similar to one like in the other thread you've posted recently, 'Life is a Bet'! 'Ninja' gave us brief glimpses, but the overall feeling was too much comic book like in it's tone, the 'Undisputed' series pretty much demands gritty action!

Amen and pass the gravy!

The underground tournament theme has been done twice with the character now. Should they do an "Undisputed 4" I'd like to know how Boyka landed in prison to begin with. While he'd no saint, maybe it could be that he went up the river for something he didn't do and now seeks revenge on those who put him there. Or maybe people seek him out for revenge now that he's out of prison. Or combine the 2 premises: Maybe they're out to get him before he comes to get them. I'd love to see him on the run fighting to survive. There's a lot of ways the character could be played out. Dadgummit! Maybe I should write a treatment myself.:tongue:

Oh yeah absolutely! And instead of calling it undisputed 4 why not call it Boyka ? :bigsmile:

Trailer:

xCys2P3mV10

I kinda like the re-title, ASSASSINATION GAMES...is this a US trailer or elsewhere?

Guest Markgway

Trailer says July release date; IMDB has Sept 1st.

Looks like it's headed for US theatrical release anyhow.

Trailer says July release date; IMDB has Sept 1st.

Looks like it's headed for US theatrical release anyhow.

Yeah I read it's getting a limited theatrical release.

I'm looking forward to it...I'll give anything Adkins is in a try.

Guest Markgway

If it hits Scotland I'll go see it. Haven't seen a Van Damme film at the flicks since Universal Soldier: The Return in 1999.

If it hits Scotland I'll go see it. Haven't seen a Van Damme film at the flicks since Universal Soldier: The Return in 1999.

Ditto (minus the Scotland part).

I'm impressed with the trailer. I hope it's a good flick, especially since that Ernie guy is directing Van Damme's next movie, Six Bullets.

I kinda like the old WEAPON title. Simplicity is king.

Tigerstyles

Another great review for this one eh!!! WHAT A FUCKIN WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t:

http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/assassination-games/5656

For anyone hoping that Jean-Claude Van Damme's self-reflexive turn in Mabrouk El Mechri's postmodern JCVD heralded a new career direction for "The Muscles from Brussels," Assassination Games puts those dreams firmly to rest. A direct-to-video-quality actioner distinguished primarily by its star's blatantly deteriorated martial-arts prowess, Ernie Barbarash's third-rate killer thriller concerns the absurdly named Brazil (Van Damme), a hitman introduced surreptitiously slicing the neck of a crime boss at a wedding. Brazil is a laughable cliché, a cold, emotionless assassin dressed in dark shirts, overcoats, and a beret who, when not methodically carrying out contracts, lives in a secret ultra-chic Romanian apartment filled with modern art, a collection of violins (which he plays), and stylishly minimalist décor. His is a dreadfully familiar solitary life, and one that's predictably interrupted by two been-here, done-that developments: a new abusive pimp neighbor (Attila Árpa) whose bruised and battered whore October (Marija Karan) takes a fancy to him, and a job to kill crime boss Polo (Ivan Kaye) that puts him into direct conflict with another assassin, Flint (a personality-free Scott Adkins), who seeks revenge against Polo for sadistically raping and beating his wife into a coma years earlier.

Polo's release is a ploy by sleazy Interpol agents to get Flint to emerge from hiding, since they want to off him before he exposes their corruption, adding a further layer of cat-and-mouse complication to an already threadbare story. Brazil and Flint get in each other's way before teaming up to take out Polo, but far more than the dismally perfunctory plotting, it's the utter dearth of interesting action that's most depressing about Assassination Games. Dousing everything in sickly sepia tones, Barbarash stages his centerpieces with minimal grace and even less cleverness, and despite having leads whose main calling cards are their biceps, the director's focus is—mind-bogglingly—less on ass-kicking than on cloak-and-dagger intrigue. This is an obviously fatal mistake, though given his star's performance, there's reason to believe that such an emphasis was by necessity. Delivering a stoic routine that comes off more like dim lethargy, Van Damme seems physically limited throughout this sluggish saga, with his few bouts of fisticuffs clumsily edited in a way that seems designed to mask his dwindling punch-and-kick abilities. That the finale involves not amazing beat-'em-up feats but, instead, the canny use of a remote-controlled machine gun merely confirms that, like his '90s competitor Steven Segal, Van Damme has now fully transitioned into being a parodic shell of his former cartoon-badass self.

Yikes. That's, um, not good.

I second that. This is a shame. All I wanna see is Scott Adkins move up and get what he deserves like Donnie Yen did. Van Damme is like done. His only recent movies I liked was Wake of Death and Universal Soilder Regeneration. Hopefully the 4th is good as well.

Van Damme was done before He began. Dear God let Scott shine in something worthy of his skill, before it's too late.

I second that. This is a shame. All I wanna see is Scott Adkins move up and get what he deserves like Donnie Yen did. Van Damme is like done. His only recent movies I liked was Wake of Death and Universal Soilder Regeneration. Hopefully the 4th is good as well.

Scott Adkins is the only reason I'll be watching this, or any other Van Damme films he features in the future. I think that review describes Van Damme's movies of recent years. Either he doesn't have what it takes any more or he just can't be bothered to put the effort in. I'm inclined to think it's a bit of both. Incidentally I watched universal soldier regeneration yesterday, complete mediocrity. It wasn't what I would call terrible but there wasn't anything in it that I hadn't seen before and better even by Van Damme's standards. having said that I will give props for using proper practical blood effectsrather than crappy postproduction CGI blood. I'm pretty much done with Jean Claudeand Steven Seagal now. I'd rather watch one of their old films and be entertained than watching these old has-been's tarnish their name further.

ShaOW!linDude

This makes 2 unfavorable reviews so far. Yeowch!

I don't know what's up with JCVD. I actually thought US:R was really good and maybe that's 'cause most of the MA is handled by someone else. It was certainly waaaaaaay better than WOD which was an okay movie but a totally wasted effort that could've been soooooo much better with some decent MA tossed in.

I know Adkins whose idol is JCVD is working with him again on US 4. But I think at this point he needs to distance himself. While these films will help get him more recognition, I wonder if they'll give his skills the showcase they deserve. He and Isaac Florentine need to crank out some more stuff and fast!!!

I know Adkins whose idol is JCVD is working with him again on US 4. But I think at this point he needs to distance himself. While these films will help get him more recognition, I wonder if they'll give his skills the showcase they deserve. He and Isaac Florentine need to crank out some more stuff and fast!!!

according to Atkins undisputed 3 didn't make a lot of money, lots of illegal downloads he said in a recent web chat. Kind of makes it hard for Adkins and Florentineto get investors when they aren't making money or not that much.

I'm honestly not sure if working with JCVD is helping him get more recognition. As you say he can't really show what he can do because otherwise he's going to literally steal the show. Van Damme's ego couldn't take that. It's a shame Hong Kong isn't what it used to be as they would have given him a chance to shine, as it makes the star look better. I think Adkins just needs to keep making as many of his own films as he can. As time goes by more and more people will eventually see his films as they appear on TV or renting them. Plus of course word-of-mouth is going to help.

Guest Markgway
I'm honestly not sure if working with JCVD is helping him get more recognition.

The only film I've seen him in is The Shepherd and I'd imagine that goes for most of the mainstream audience. Van Damme's name still has recognition factor - Scott Adkins' doesn't.

Archived