Eastern Star Films

chen lung

I noticed the website for Eastern Star Films is back up under a new URL, and they appear to have a YouTube page as well!

Anyway, as a refresher, they were preparing restored versions of films - firstly beginning with 'The Bloody Fists', 'Two Assassins Of The Darkness' and 'The Eighteen Jade Arhats'. Let's hope a distributor will pick them up and get them released!

Linn had been acting as a consultant for them (had it been otherwise, we'd have probably ended up with cropped Mandarin versions only). The last Eastern Star Films had been discussed was around 2006 I think.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was a multi-page thread over at FLK on Eastern Star.

Hopefully Pete Jr. will give us an update shortly.

Thanks T.

My topic's a bit old news now:tongue:.

Did these ever get released? And if so was Eighteen Jade Arhats an upgraded copy (ie remastered, widescreen or subtitled)?

The whole eastern star thing seems to be FLK by another name. Apparently these were meant to be remastered bluray releases, but no sign that they will ever be released.

So more hype... more disappointment.

We should be used to it by now.

Yup, never seems to end. We're masochists. :cry:

Actually, I don't think there were plans for a Blu-ray.

Wrong. Read the post by Pete in this thread:

http://www.flkcinema.com/posts.php?forumId=6&roomId=5875

To save you time, I'll quote it:

"Well I dare not show you the EASTERN STAR future releases for 7 Steps Kung Fu and Shaolin Kung Fu Master at this point......The fans need to get there hands on your bits first mate.....ES is on hold until 2012.

EASTERN STAR Will all be BLU-RAY "

Wrong. Read the post by Pete in this thread:

http://www.flkcinema.com/posts.php?forumId=6&roomId=5875

To save you time, I'll quote it:

"Well I dare not show you the EASTERN STAR future releases for 7 Steps Kung Fu and Shaolin Kung Fu Master at this point......The fans need to get there hands on your bits first mate.....ES is on hold until 2012.

EASTERN STAR Will all be BLU-RAY "

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.

Years ago I asked, but was told there were no plans.

Thanks!

No worries mate, no need to be sorry. I honestly think that they don't really know what to do with these releases; I think they're scared of putting them out and having them pirated in some way. I'd be surprised to see a release any time soon.

No worries mate, no need to be sorry. I honestly think that they don't really know what to do with these releases; I think they're scared of putting them out and having them pirated in some way. I'd be surprised to see a release any time soon.

Getting these to retailers would help attain a better form of authority, but even that appears to be difficult now.

The problem is a mentality where content is downloaded without any regard.

I seldom download and I wouldn't mind (in certain circumstances) if it was something that's otherwise hard to obtain/rent, really expensive or bad quality, but generally, I prefer that people who are in a business, or have a passion receive their due.

People should just spare a thought...

Guest Markgway

If that were true then no distributor would ever release anything. Piracy exists and always will. You have to accept the hit and move on. Best way to combat dodgy boots is to get your legit product in stores (and on Amazon, etc) promptly and at a competitive price. Fans want to buy originals and support dedicated companies... so don't make it difficult for them to do so.

you would sell about 100 per movie if you release this unknown stuff on Bluray - and that would be a good number... plus: cut Versions, bad Prints, etc etc. good luck to anyone trying to do this ;)

Guest Markgway

I don't think cynicism helps matters.

If you keep the product under wraps you make nothing.

Right now if I really wanted Two Assassins of the Darkness would I wait for a possible Blu Ray release some time down the line that may wind up as a fan project... or do I download a bootleg from what's available?

No one is going to make big money with this genre so if that's your game forget it.

But if these fans care about the product they claim to own it does no one good to have it gather dust.

Unless silly money was paid for these reels in the first place I see no real reason that with some business skill and ingenuity Eastern Star couldn't break even.

you cant break even if you remaster a Kung Fu Movie in HD ;) a German Company recently released a beautiful HD-Remaster of REDRESS and RED PHOENIX on DVD - for super cheap prices of 4.99Euros. they never even tried to release a Blu-ray for it because it would be a money grave. you can't sell such movies anymore anywhere in the world. Nobody buys them.

there won't be any Releases for old Kung Fu Movies anytime soon. the Market is competely dead. there's a bunch coming on TV though. i guess WANG YU - KING OF BOXER will be aired soon too.(tele5 Germany)

thedirtytiger

Sorry to hear that Spannick, you ( and others ) were doing such good work a couple of years ago, shame it's alll gone to shit :(

Archived