Miami Vice

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guest Chinatown Kid

Well this opens here in America tommorrow, how do you guys think it will do? Used to be quite a fan of the original tv show way back in the day. Director Michael Mann says this is a darker, grittier version than the original show because he was not restricted by the censors like he was on tv. Looks like it could be quite interesting, Jamie Fox was great in Ray and Colin Farrell seems to be quite a decent actor too, I liked the film he was in called Phone Booth but wasn't to crazy over SWATT. Mann can usually be counted on for great movies, one of my favorites is Heat starring the great Pacino and DeNiro.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Soda drink

Michael Mann is the...man, lol. He has yet to disappoint me with his movies. I'm watching this movie first thing tomorrow.

I liked this show when I was younger to, the first couple seasons where the best when the story was centered around Don Johnson character, it lost it after that. I've seen the reruns of this, it's still not a bad show, even with all the 80's cheese.

The movie? I don't know, but man is Gong Li fine or what!!

Guest sevenhooks

Saw this over the weekend.

Gotta say, BIG disappointment, and not at all what I was expecting from Mann - particularly after Collateral.

>D

Guest GwaiLoMoFo
Gotta say, BIG disappointment, and not at all what I was expecting from Mann - particularly after Collateral.

Thanks, I was considering checking this out but expected it to stink. Ill just take my kids to see "Monster House" In 3-D instead!

Guest TheManInWhite

Saw it over the weekend. Very talky but when there was action, it was very good. Mann played the film straighter than the series. No comedic bits whatsoever. Just as stylish as the series was back in the day. Colin played a very good Crockett. You can tell he studied the character. Jamie plays a smoother version of Tubbs IMO. And to agree with the panel, Gong Li is very hot in this. :P

Overall, I enjoyed it and recommend those interested to check it out.

Guest jirpy100

I think for the first time in my movie renting history I stopped watching it after 18m52s. My goodness... terrible! Not as bad as Pearl Harbour or Mission Impossible 2, but it was played so straight-faced yet flashy without any flash... Maybe I'll watching it again tomorrow morning.

Okay, I watched it from the beginning again. The script is really bad, very cliched and with dialogue sounding a lot like first-draft filler. The cinematography leads one to believe that the director was very serious about the story, yet the fast cars, tough-guy attitude and the speed boats are completely out of place in this serious tone. And the Chinese actress spoke terrible English - cringe-worthy. Possibly Michael Mann's worst film yet.

it`s garbage...tv-series were great though and those are worth getting.Some complained quality dropped in seasons 4&5 but I dun think so.instead of repeting all the same drugs,prostitution and smuggling items storylines entered to area of snuff films&serial killers.however maybe it was time to end,over 100 episodes of poor detectives who drive ferrari and wear latest fashion to make them credible in eyes of other criminals was enough:cool:

doug maverick

i liked this movie. i liked the story but the dialogue just didn;t work not all, its movie worth watching with the sound off

Archived