Jonathan of the Bears

Guest jirpy100

Guest jirpy100

Finally found a copy of Jonathan of the Bears online. Go look at Xploitedcinema. The film is a thematic follow-up to Keoma, with the same lead actor & director.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest jirpy100

I most definitely will. I must just not raise my expectations too high, because I really wanna enjoy this!

Guest jirpy100

Jonathan of the Bears (1993)

Following in the footsteps of Keoma, Enzo G. Castellari delivers another tale of racism, hatred and greed. The film is more refined than Keoma, and features very little dialogue. Most ideas are expressed through visuals. In fact, the first 30 minutes seems like a quiet poetic nature-documentary. As a little boy Jonathan befriends a bear who becomes his friend and his connection to nature and the earth.

And the local Indian chief raises him as his own, teaching him the ways of the natives. When he is older he seeks out the men who killed his parents, and spends the rest of the time meditating on man’s violence toward each other. Ultimately his own people become threatened by the white man, and he, a white man, but also an Indian, defends the ones who have protected him all his life.

The film takes place in the American west, but in very green pastures, there is no desert in sight. The film is not as experimental as Keoma, but retains the Greek chorus-device used for the music. He is also crucified once more, although the subject is not explored. Not a great film, but a very unique one. I wish more directors would risk their necks by making what they want, not what studios want.

Rating: 7.5/10

Image/Sound: 7.5/10

Widescreen (1.85) image, pretty sharp and constant, and an English dubbed track.

Guest pressureworld

Thanks jirpy100 it seems that this is one of the rare spaghetti westerns that fell under the radar I loved Keoma so im going to have to at least check this out.

Archived