Watched Funimation's Life Gamble last night..

Sandpalm79

So i only had seen this once before which was the IVL version. There seems to be something special about this movie. I am a huge Venoms fan. They are my shaw's obsession. But certain movies like ode to gallantry. i cant even get through the whole movie. Life Gamble's first act sure isnt action packed. But something about the english dub.. Crystal crisp transfer,and the "vibe", if you will, of the 1979 period at shaw brothers makes me enjoy every minute of it. Anyone notice this about LG or any other shaws. I used to feel this way about two champions of shaolin that i love just watching even the downtime parts of the movie as the sets and interior and even the dialogue strike as me as really interesting and i thoroughly loved this movie!

sorry for any rambling here just seeing if anyone else experience this ( even less action packed shaws, still keeping you fully interested even by the sets and the little things)?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has the audio for the English dub improved or is it the same one where you could hear a bit of static in there?

Um not too staticy. i found the invincible shaloin one to sound strange. this if anything is a lil low in volume but didnt catch any static

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Invincible Shaolin's english dub transfer is absolutely terrible. I think it is overly compressed, as stated by another member, without being proofed with volume equalizing. Life Gamble's english dub is fine in comparison. I love this film too. The whole feel to the film is wonderful. Flag Of Iron, Shaolin Rescuers, Magnificant Ruffians, Kid With The Golden Arm, and Two Champions Of Shaolin all have those endearing sets. On another note Shaolin Abbot, although the fighting could've been improved a bit, the sets and the dialogue are quaint (spelling?). David Chiang is great in that film. He plays the part of shaolin monk perectly, IMO. The Duel and Vengeance have these beautiful sets as well.

Thanks for posting your thoughts about Life Gamble. Is this ( the Funamation) the release that has the Ku Feng and Robert Tai interviews?

. But certain movies like ode to gallantry. i cant even get through the whole movie

I would like to notify even as movie is not venoms finest it has very good end fight,in their top5(imo).And for that it`s worth to go through.

loempiavreter

I was totally blown away by Life Gamble. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't expecting much of it, but it ended up being one of my fav. Venom movies.

But most probably the reason why I liked it so much is because this flick reminds me of Spaghetti Westerns, in visuals, story, characters and even the knife duel between Fu Sheng and Lo Mang (this could've been easily an Giuliano Carnimeo flick).

I have Life Gamble but still haven't got around to watching it, although I must admit, these days I won't really watched the dubbed version of anything. There is only a handful of movies at the most that I prefer the dubbed version over the original language track

kingofkungfu2002

Just need a bit of info guys. I recently bought the Funimation dvd on Ebay, but it arrived in one of those slimline cases.

dvdcase.jpg

All my other Funimation dvd's came with standard size cases. Is this a bootleg?

Here's a link to the item I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIFE-GAMBLE-SHAW-BROTHERS-MARTIAL-ARTS-DVD-/261116928122?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=iWR5nLL5mM5us%2BSHBKEBPu84VpY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I also like his movie - more than most, I guess.

This move is closer to a classic Western movie than any other, I think.

The knife fights add to the 'Shootout' feel & the Town...the Horse carriage...

Just a Western type feel & a very good movie!

Just need a bit of info guys. I recently bought the Funimation dvd on Ebay, but it arrived in one of those slimline cases.

dvdcase.jpg

All my other Funimation dvd's came with standard size cases. Is this a bootleg?

Here's a link to the item I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIFE-GAMBLE-SHAW-BROTHERS-MARTIAL-ARTS-DVD-/261116928122?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&nma=true&si=iWR5nLL5mM5us%2BSHBKEBPu84VpY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It probably came from the three pack of Invincible Shaolin/Life Gamble/Shaolin Prince. I have this, and all three movies come in slimline cases.

615mdoOOO4L.jpg

kingofkungfu2002
It probably came from the three pack of Invincible Shaolin/Life Gamble/Shaolin Prince. I have this, and all three movies come in slimline cases.

615mdoOOO4L.jpg

Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated. Oh well, at least it's not a bootleg but they should really have put that in the Ebay description :neutral:

Archived