Which Shaw Bros Star was overused?

ching li

We have had many discussion on which Shaw Bros star was underuse, but how about those that were overused, what I mean about this, they were in a number of shaw movies, but still failed to make an impression. I would have to go with, meaning no disrespect at all, but Lo Lieh, he never really impressed me and for the most part always looked bored; as far as actresses I would have to go with Shih Szu. Her kung fu was mediocre at best, but she did seem to be better as an actress. I'd be interested at hearing you guys thoughts on this.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ti Lung, at his prime he made 5 plus movies per year and he still failed to portray anything but straight-face good guy. I had hard time watching him act, if he ever did that. Even Leonardo Di Caprio, from Titanic in 1997 to 2010, he probably made no more than what Ti Lung did in 2 years at Shaw, yet he still managed to age like wine, perfecting his craft. Though it is true that he starred in plenty of classic Shaw, but when you compare those in his resume, it is a classic case of quantity over quality.

I think his worst role is probably the Blood Brothers with David Chang and Chen Kuan Tai. Dont get me wrong, the movie is epic among Chang Cheh's epics. It's just the way he carries himself on screen that get on my nerve. Half way through the movie supposedly Ti Lung's personality turns 180 degree from a good brother a greedy, power-hungry warlord. And his attempt as being a bad guy with internal conflict is laughable. I remembered how emotionally detached and confused I was when watching it, luckily David Chang saved the day.

Wow, only two posts but already some shockers. Ti Lung did win a best actor award in Blood Brothers but sometimes I do wish he and Chen Kuan Tai could have switched roles.CKT just does evil/ anti-hero so much better.

I forgot to add, that David Chiang, oddly enough was another I was not too impressed with and in this case, I think Chang Cheh (whom I love and is my favorite director) was to blame. David Chiang I felt did not have the martial arts skills to be the "main" hero; especially in all men are brothers, when he easily defeated yang sze(bolo) I mean come on. In boxer from shantung, you can tell that little bout he had with chen kuan tai, that chen was seriously holding back just to make it look like he and david was equal, I was like come on, that was painful to watch.

Ti Lung, at his prime he made 5 plus movies per year and he still failed to portray anything but straight-face good guy. I had hard time watching him act, if he ever did that. Even Leonardo Di Caprio, from Titanic in 1997 to 2010, he probably made no more than what Ti Lung did in 2 years at Shaw, yet he still managed to age like wine, perfecting his craft. Though it is true that he starred in plenty of classic Shaw, but when you compare those in his resume, it is a classic case of quantity over quality.

I think his worst role is probably the Blood Brothers with David Chang and Chen Kuan Tai. Dont get me wrong, the movie is epic among Chang Cheh's epics. It's just the way he carries himself on screen that get on my nerve. Half way through the movie supposedly Ti Lung's personality turns 180 degree from a good brother a greedy, power-hungry warlord. And his attempt as being a bad guy with internal conflict is laughable. I remembered how emotionally detached and confused I was when watching it, luckily David Chang saved the day.

You're post is very interesting. I personally felt that acting wise, David was a little better, but martial arts wise, Ti lung was definitely better and was more convincing as a hero, one who can carry the fights way better than David. But this is the only movie where Chang Cheh had Ti lung out of David's shadow, he wasn't playing second fiddle to David which was refreshing to see.

I don't have to much of a problem with David Chiang, his martial arts was okay for me for the simple fact that the storyline was so good. I discovered that I could watch iron triangle films over venom styled films any day.

Ti Lung, at his prime he made 5 plus movies per year and he still failed to portray anything but straight-face good guy. I had hard time watching him act, if he ever did that.

WTF?!

Dude, lay off those statements. Your opinion, but far from true. The man was very talented, especially for this genre.

:neutral:

Even Leonardo Di Caprio, from Titanic in 1997 to 2010, he probably made no more than what Ti Lung did in 2 years at Shaw, yet he still managed to age like wine, perfecting his craft. Though it is true that he starred in plenty of classic Shaw, but when you compare those in his resume, it is a classic case of quantity over quality.

It was quantity over quality because that's the way Shaws ran their studio. It was a movie factory. Check the documentary on Shaws' Studios. It's all there.

LMAOROTF!

:neutral:

In a role he begged Chang Cheh the opportunity to play, the man won Asia's equivalent of an Academy Award.

'Nuff said!

Fang Shih-yu
How can anyone criticize the lovely Miss Shih Szu?

You won't catch me doing that!:tongue: Wherever you are, lovely lady, let it be known Brother Fang appreciates you!:yociexp32:

Timing probably the biggest factor why i do not like Ti Lung in Blood Brothers. Blood Brothers is one of the earliest dvd I bought because of a lot of recommendations. After that I let it sit on the shelf collecting dust for a long time, thinking it doesnt matter when i will watch it because it will be good anyway. By the time I get to see The Blood Brothers it's around the 100th Shaw i watch. Also by that time i was burned out with Ti Lung after watching his generic acting in 7 man army, swordsman and enchantress, duel of fists... The final blow is probably the Sentimental Swordsman and its sequel, the same reason I hate director Yuen Chor forever. Li's Flying Dagger is my most beloved wuxia story, after reading it back and forth for 3 years, and watching a handful of tv series, I come to the conclusion that Li's personality is too complicated to be fully captured by an actor. Then came Yuen Chor's Sentimental Swordsman t::2::2: beside from the characters and exposition, he rips this shit to shed, 75% of the plot has nothing related to the novel, and he dares to make a sequel. And Blood Brothers is watched after Sentimental Swordsman, you know the story.

I see no relationship between Sentimental Swordsman and Blood Brothers, one is pure Chang Cheh and the other pure Chor Yuen. SS is a Ti Lung vehicle but BB is an ensemble performance that any true fan of cinema can appreciate.

How can anyone criticize the lovely Miss Shih Szu? :ooh:

What a sweetie. Also, particularly after seeing more of her earlier swordplay movies like TheYoung Avenger, I rank her as well above average for screen fighting.

Fang Shih-yu

The general account is Shih Szu was being groomed as a replacement for Cheng Pei-pei at Shaw, the "passing of the torch" symbolized in The Lady Hermit (an up-coming Funimation reissue, I think)! Comparisons to Pei-pei are inevitable, and some feel Shih Szu wasn't as graceful as Pei-pei in on-screen fighting. I feel she gave it her all for the fight choreographers in those earlier movies (her work in the "The Iron Bow" segment of Trilogy of Swordsmanship is a good example); after that, her main assets were her acting range, a body that was more rounded and curvy than Pei-pei's (she'd eventually lose some of the weight, but she still looked great in later roles like in The Deadly Breaking Sword) and a smile that makes my heart melt as I think of it!:tongue: I feel her arrival on the scene may have been ill-timed, especially when Bruce Lee was around and male fighting heroes were what people wanted to see in martial arts movies. I'm glad she was around in that era, and I'm fortunate more than a few of her movies are easily found on DVD!:kiss:

None. They all served their correct purpose for the Shaw Bros company. Every Shaw movie is a precious gem to me. The movies represent a special time in international film history, a time long gone. The shaw actors made their own mark in film history, and served their purpose with every film role. Everything they did is greatly appreciated.
^This.

Also, anyone not feeling Shih Szu needs to watch Massacre Survivor. It may not be Shaws, but it will change your mind.

Archived