Five Superfighters

Battousai

WOW what a great film absolutley chock full of high level shapes, training and styles are there any other gems like this one featuring less well known cast?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Bone Crushing Kid

Shaolin Blood Mission

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

War of the Shaolin Temple

To Kill a Mastermind

Of Cooks and Kung Fu

All these have lead actors that didn’t have many big roles in their careers. There’s also a ton of mainland films. http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9562&highlight=mainland

I’ve heard great things about Monkey Kung Fu aka Stroke of Death, but I haven’t seen it yet.

Monkey Kung Fu is a great movie as well. 1 or 2 parts seem undercranked, but nothing major. Kwan Feng kicks ass as the villain. This one and 5 Superfighters are probably his best roles, fighting wise. It's a shame he wasn't used more in all of the other movies he's starred in- highly underrated fighter/actor.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Kuan Feng was definitely underused. The only other movie I can think of where he was the main villain is Boxer from the Temple, but that isn't nearly on the level of 5 Super Fighters. There's one more movie I can think of where he's the main villain, but it would spoil the movie if you knew going into it that he's a villain.

Morgoth Bauglir

I have no idea. Maybe he did TV for awhile after SB stopped making movies. That's what a lot of those guys did.

Crystal Fist and Super Power, Billy Chong, he is somewhat known but not a huge name. Only a handful of films but I like him better than.....say.....Jackie Chan.

• Administrator
Bone Crushing Kid

Shaolin Blood Mission

To Kill a Mastermind

Of Cooks and Kung Fu.

Nice list Morgoth.

I’ve heard great things about Monkey Kung Fu aka Stroke of Death, but I haven’t seen it yet.

Second that- I love this movie! I've shown and lent this to a lot of people that never heard of it, and everyone has always dug it.

Monkey Kung Fu is a great movie as well. 1 or 2 parts seem undercranked, but nothing major. Kwan Feng kicks ass as the villain. This one and 5 Superfighters are probably his best roles, fighting wise. It's a shame he wasn't used more in all of the other movies he's starred in- highly underrated fighter/actor.

Ditto!!!:nerd:

Crystal Fist and Super Power, Billy Chong, he is somewhat known but not a huge name. Only a handful of films but I like him better than.....say.....Jackie Chan.

I've always thought Billy Chong was like if Jackie Chan and Sonny Chiba went into that teleporter from THE FLY and had their DNA blended into one guy. Chong has amazing kung fu and acrobatic skills ala Chan, but he looks like more of a badass, and can get really brutal in his fights- more like Chiba-san. So good call Iron Boat. Yeah, you can't go wrong with any of these Billy Chong films:

SUPERPOWER

FISTFUL OF TALONS

JADE CLAW (1979, aka. Crystal Fist)

and despite horrific dubbing:

HARD WAY TO DIE (aka. Sun Dragon)

and despite too much silliness:

KUNG FU FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE

KUNG FU ZOMBIE

His fight scenes never disappoint.

Also, another middle-of-the-road flick a lot of newer fans haven't seen:

THUNDERING MANTIS

make believe

You must see it. It's as great as everyone says it is.

I've been wanting to see Crystal Fist for the longest time. I've only seen the intro on youtube and it's pretty awesome. I'm going to cave and buy the panmedia version one of these days

make believe

THUNDERING MANTIS

Here is another title where I may end up buying the bootleg. It's not a great film but the end fight is so insane.

Nice list Morgoth.

Second that- I love this movie! I've shown and lent this to a lot of people that never heard of it, and everyone has always dug it.

Ditto!!!:nerd:

I've always thought Billy Chong was like if Jackie Chan and Sonny Chiba went into that teleporter from THE FLY and had their DNA blended into one guy. Chong has amazing kung fu and acrobatic skills ala Chan, but he looks like more of a badass, and can get really brutal in his fights- more like Chiba-san. So good call Iron Boat. Yeah, you can't go wrong with any of these Billy Chong films:

SUPERPOWER

FISTFUL OF TALONS

JADE CLAW (1979, aka. Crystal Fist)

and despite horrific dubbing:

HARD WAY TO DIE (aka. Sun Dragon)

and despite too much silliness:

KUNG FU FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE

KUNG FU ZOMBIE

His fight scenes never disappoint.

THUNDERING MANTIS

I think Billy Chong is a fantastic performer, He had charisma like Fu Sheng, movements like Philip Kwok, better than Jackie Chan, and like you said he can be intense like Chiba, I soon collected all his films, even the ultra rare Invincible Monkey Fist with Chen Kuan Tai, which is almost a kung fu pirate film to me, lol.

Morgoth Bauglir

I've been wanting to see Crystal Fist for the longest time. I've only seen the intro on youtube and it's pretty awesome. I'm going to cave and buy the panmedia version one of these days

You could get the GZ double feature if you don't have Kung Fu Zombie. That's my favorite Chong movie. Kong Do and Chan Lau are hilarious in it, and the fight between Chong and Kwan Young Moon is one of the best fights I've ever seen. It felt way ahead of its time.

Then if you like KF Zombie, you may want to get the Videoasia double feature. Worse pic quality, but 16 minutes longer than the GZ version. And it comes with Fistful of Talons and a Billy Chong interview.

I think Billy Chong is a fantastic performer, He had charisma like Fu Sheng, movements like Philip Kwok, better than Jackie Chan, and like you said he can be intense like Chiba, I soon collected all his films, even the ultra rare Invincible Monkey Fist with Chen Kuan Tai, which is almost a kung fu pirate film to me, lol.

Have you seen this movie?

AEIcpRdk49g

Because I sure would like to see it one day!

You could get the GZ double feature if you don't have Kung Fu Zombie. That's my favorite Chong movie. Kong Do and Chan Lau are hilarious in it, and the fight between Chong and Kwan Young Moon is one of the best fights I've ever seen. It felt way ahead of its time.

Then if you like KF Zombie, you may want to get the Videoasia double feature. Worse pic quality, but 16 minutes longer than the GZ version. And it comes with Fistful of Talons and a Billy Chong interview.

AEIcpRdk49g

Because I sure would like to see it one day!

Kung Fu Zombie I have but I'm assuming this film is Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave, if not then Billy clearly has a thing for fighting the undead.

Morgoth Bauglir

haha, yeah, in Kung Fu From the Grave he even fights the most famous undead villain, Dracula.

But that movie is not Kung Fu From Beyond the Grave. It's called Silat Zombie on youtube. I imagine it is a made up name from the youtube user as it probably doesn't have an English title.

Bone Crushing Kid

Shaolin Blood Mission

To Kill a Mastermind

Of Cooks and Kung Fu

All these have lead actors that didn’t have many big roles in their careers. There’s also a ton of mainland films. http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9562&highlight=mainland

Thanks everybody, ive youtubed these and they indeed look excellent. now to hunt out some dubbed copies.

make believe

Thanks. The Ground Zero discs are out of print it seems and going for about 15 on amazon. Would you say quality wise is it worth that kind of money and are both films full screen? I know there is other bootlegs on ebay of both films , separately for a little more money but they're claiming they're widescreen.

• Administrator

I think this might be an Indonesian (his home country) Billy Chong movie he did called PENDEKAR LIAR. I haven't seen it in a long time, but that clip looked familiar.

Eastern Evil

I'm glad there is a thread for this movie or else I would have had to make one.

One of my favorite all time scenes.

I love when these old masters get ornery.

Unbelievable timing by these guys. :smile2:

?v=jy2OC7AhOq0&feature=youtu.be

Archived