Gooseboxer

Battousai

I have yet to see this film (I was reminded of it by mention in the LHS thread) whats everyone's opinion of this film? and whats the best release of it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

One of the better kung fu comedies I've seen. Unique story, good fights, and very good performances from Lee Hoi San, Phillip Ko and Charles Heung.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Horrible comedy, way too little action. Though the finale where Charles Heung has mistaken a book of sex techniques for a kung fu manual, and try to use the sexual positions in combat, against Lee Hoi San was pretty funny.

Sounds great! I know there was a double pack with Tiger Over Wall but is there a decent single release of this film? I allready have Tiger Over Wall (unless its the dub).

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah most likely you are right Markgway. Goose Boxer time is 78:38. Tiger Over Wall is 86:46, so probably not much is cut from Tiger.

kungfusamurai

I enjoyed it. I think Charles Heung is a good on screen fighter. The comedy is pretty cheesy, but so is the comedy in Pop's films.

I remember 2 different DVD releases of Tiger Over Wall. One was paired with Goose Boxer, and I think the other was on a multi-DVD pack, maybe the Video Asia one with that alternate version of Ninja In The Dragon's Den. They differed in that one was english dubbed, the other was cantonese with subs.

KFS

Although not English-subtitled, the Eyecatcher DVD is 1:85:1 and includes English/Cantonese dubs.

Never seen it, but was it originally Mandarin and 2:35:1? Perhaps it might be longer than other versions?

Guest Markgway
Yeah most likely you are right Markgway. Goose Boxer time is 78:38. Tiger Over Wall is 86:46, so probably not much is cut from Tiger.

Sorry, I meant only Goose Boxer is cut, by several mins, I think.

An uncut version of Tiger Over Wall is available (with old BBFC snips restored).

when i saw Goose boxer in the cinema it was called "Shaolin's Tough Kid" some publicity material also uses this name.

originaly the film was entitled the Big Master- 大師父 and co stared Wei Pai, footage was shot, but some grief with Wei Pai resulted in his footage being removed and the film was re worked without him.

Guest Markgway
when i saw Goose boxer in the cinema it was called "Shaolin's Tough Kid" some publicity material also uses this name.

originaly the film was entitled the Big Master- 大師父 and co stared Wei Pai, footage was shot, but some grief with Wei Pai resulted in his footage being removed and the film was re worked without him.

Shaolin's Tough Kid was the HK title wasn't it?

I have a poster image with Goose Boxer as the title so it must've been released somewhere as that.

This was around the time Wei Pai moved to Golden Harvest.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Well, Wai Pai was the cheeky chap.... maybe Charles Heung didn't take no cheek. In that case, Wai Pai should be glad that he was just CUT out of the movie.... wink wink....

Archived