Req: Cantonen Iron Kung Fu

Guest Markgway

Guest Markgway

Does anyone have *any CHINESE posters or lobbies for this 1979 film?

*(Except the Cinemart double-page spread advertised as The Iron-Hand Boxer).

A curious case this...

Here's the title card from the (a) Chinese print:

Cantonen2.jpg

No English title.

So where on earth did CANTONEN Iron Kung Fu come from?

Cantonen isn't even a word. Obviously a misspelling of Canton (or perhaps Cantonese?)

And while we're at it... that Chinese title isn't the one usually listed in reference

It's usually this one: 廣東鐵橋三 (trans: Canton Iron Bridge Three)

Anyone know what the one in the cap translates as...?

The film was made in Taiwan so I'm wondering if this print predates the Hong Kong release which may have been retitled?

Also the prod. co. logo doesn't match the one listed by the HKFA.

HKFA says Chiu Lik (HK)

What's this one say...?

Cantonen1.jpg

If anyone has any info on these mysteries...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The poster and press book says "Cantonen" (Remeber laughing at that when the film came out), both Chinese titles are used on offical publicity matrieals, by the looks of it it seems the press book was manafactured in Taiwan (think it's a Taiwan financed film too) and that could explain the bad english typo.

Dual names: there are a few films like this, Iron fist aka shaolin king boxer uses both titles on publicity could be territory based, Taiwan not too hot on cantonese heroes. Mag butcher was re titled there

Guest Markgway
The poster and press book says "Cantonen" (Remeber laughing at that when the film came out)

I have a thing about bad spelling in titles.

Bad grammar (ie. Heart of Dragon) I'll leave alone but bad spelling just really bugs me.

I don't like the films made to look stupid even if they're stupid films.

I'm assuming that Canton was intended word so I'll go with that - Canton Iron Kung Fu

I'm curious as to why that Cantonen error has stuck for 30 years?

Nobody I know refers to Craczy Horse, Intelligent Monkey (sic).

by the looks of it it seems the press book was manafactured in Taiwan (think it's a Taiwan financed film too) and that could explain the bad english typo.

I believe it was made in Taiwan in Mandarin despite the Cantonese setting.

The 1979 cinemart promo which lists the film under the advance title The Iron-Fist Boxer credits the prod. co. as Chiu Lik (HK) - so technically a Hong Kong film.

Do you know what the company card I posted in my first post says...? It's not Chiu Lik.

Dual names: there are a few films like this, Iron fist aka shaolin king boxer uses both titles on publicity could be territory based, Taiwan not too hot on cantonese heroes. Mag butcher was re titled there

Yeah, can be tricky to know which one is the original (ie. first release title).

Iron Kung Fu could have been retitled for Taiwan or it could be the other way around (ie. Countdown in Kung Fu was retitled Hand of Death in HK).

the company name is Shin Ying (New Hero) film co

2nd line

Rong ? (Wing ? )Distribution Co

Lam Sai Wing is the proper title for Mag Butcher, as the promos in all the HK mags list as Lam Sai Wing.

Guest Markgway
the company name is Shin Ying (New Hero) film co

2nd line

Rong ? (Wing ? )Distribution Co

Thanks. Can't find anything on them.

Damn, I hate these enigmas(!)

Here's that Cinemart promo I mentioned:

http://hkmdb.com/db/images/movies/6026/CantonenIronKungFu+1979-2-b.jpg

Lam Sai Wing is the proper title for Mag Butcher, as the promos in all the HK mags list as Lam Sai Wing.

That's the title on the poster as well.

Archived