Crazy shaolin disciples

bearpower

How is CRAZY SHAOLIN DISCIPLES staring Gordon Liu Chia-Hui and Li Hai-Shen (both from "The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin"). Wang Yu ("Dirty Ho"), Lo Lieh ("The King Boxer"), Haiao Ho ("Mad Monkey Fu"), and even lead "Venoms" Lo Meng and Kuo Chue!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched some years back and I recall that the excessive undercranking ruined this one for me. When you have guys like the Toad and Gordon going head-to-head, there's no reason to speed up the film. Their kung fu speaks for itself.

I find Wang-Yu's comedy is a drag, his best role today is still Kid from Kwangtung. The first half of the movie with the comedic shenanigans was blah, and the end fight was somewhat standard Shaw. Nothing really special to showcase the stellar cast. None of them stands out, except for Lo Lieh for being the baddest of the bad guy.

Everyone rags on this one... well I say fuck em, this film's great fun. I love all the shaolin shenanigns, and I think the choreo is excellent.

I've only seen this once many years ago but I remember finding it funny. I'm assuming LKL directed it, I generally don't like his comedy but this actually being a comedy first, martial art film second, I enjoyed it. Wang Yu's mama showing up embarrassing him that was funny.

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought this movie was pretty bad, but good action. If I went into it with high expectations I wold have been very disappointed.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
Watched some years back and I recall that the excessive undercranking ruined this one for me. When you have guys like the Toad and Gordon going head-to-head, there's no reason to speed up the film. Their kung fu speaks for itself.

That was same problem for myself. I can't stand under-cranking. Though I can dig Lo Meng and Gordon humor. It's still not enough to carry a film.

I enjoyed the movie for the cast and the fight scenes. I had no problem with the undercranking as it had taken over by this time anyway. Lo Lieh is very good here. He's like a kung fu terminator, seemingly unstoppable. At the end, it takes 4 or 5 people to kill him. None of the other cast members are his match, so don't expect to see bristling one on one fights. The idea was to make Lo Lieh as intimidating and unstoppable as the meager budget would allow.

Sets are the usual Shaw standard, but there are some miniatures present and at least one shot lifted from Chang Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE. There's a lot of comedy also. The seriousness of the picture mainly revolves around the scenes with Lo Lieh who is searching for the Hung Clan family medallion. The comedy dominates and one easy summation of this one would be SHAOLIN ANIMAL HOUSE. There's flatulence humor, boogers in rice, pissing in the pool, pranks between Gordon Liu's "fraternity" and Wong Yu's secular monks, etc.... Some of the comedy is genuinely funny, and some of it is a bit over the top.

If you enjoyed the double act of Lo Mang and Wong Yu in ROAR OF THE LION, then this later film may be of interest as well. It works along much the same parameters (Lo Lieh is just as tough as Wang Lung Wei's character in the earlier movie) There's a bigger stable of stars included for this '85 production as well.

kungfusamurai

This is a silly kung fu film where Lo Lieh's character is obviously body doubled. But it's entertaining enough to be worth collecting. The under-cranking was ridiculous, but not much different from some of the other movies under-cranking coming out from around that time by directors like Robert Tai.

The first few minutes of the film pretty much sum up what the rest of it's going to be like in terms of the fight choreography

TBOBdVn1JZc

KFS

The movie was average for me.. The action was actually pretty good, but some of the comedy was kinda iffy and unnecessary at times.. but if you have nothing better to watch and crave a Shaw flick, you could do worse I suppose... :neutral:

Archived