Goemon

cultlabs

This one isn't for the purists, it's a big fat unashamed CGIfest which mixes SFX, Manga styling and fight action in one big soup of eye candy, so be warned, if it's exacting techniques your after you won't find them, but for entertainment value, it's a beautiful effort...

If you've seen Casshern you'll know what to expect, although this movie learns from the previous movie, leaving out the endless chatter and exposition...

GOEMON

Goemon_Goemon_3D2-1.jpg

FROM THE PRODUCERS OF ‘THE GRUDGE’ AND THE DIRECTOR OF ‘CASSHERN’

TRAILER

Five years ago, acclaimed Japanese fashion photographer and music video director Kazuaki Kiriya made an explosive and groundbreaking assault on the movie world with his directorial debut feature, the visually stunning and hugely ambitious sci-fi epic, ‘Casshern’. Now, Kiriya returns in his own inimitable style with the equally spectacular period, fantasy action-adventure, Goemon.

Produced by Kiriya and legendary producer Takashige Ichise (The Ring; Dark Water; The Grudge; Shutter) and boasting a star-studded cast that includes Yosuke Eguchi (Shaolin Girl), Takao Osawa (Ichi; Sky High), Jun Kaname (Blood; K-20; Casshern), Tetsuji Tamayama (Norwegian Wood; Casshern) and Susumu Terajima (Casshern; Ichi The Killer), Goemon is based on the exploits of the film’s eponymous, ninja bandit hero – the Japanese folklore equivalent of Robin Hood.

The year is 1582 and the ruler of Japan, Oda Nobunaga, has been brutally murdered leaving the country in a state of political chaos. Meanwhile, a chivalrous thief known as Goemon, whose loyalties lay with Nobunaga, has risen as a hero figure amongst the populace thanks to his propensity for stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. Goemon’s latest haul, stolen from one of his arch-enemies, includes a small wooden box of Western origin which he believes to be worthless and accidentally bestows upon a young street urchin. In truth, the box is a priceless artifact - a true Pandora’s box that holds a deep secret coveted and sought by Japan’s most powerful and deadly warlords.

Realising his error, Goemon seeks to regain possession of the box before it falls into the wrong hands. But its existence has also attracted the interests of a legendary swordsman, Matahachi, the legendary ninja Hattori Hanzo, and Goemon’s fearsome former friend and current rival, Saizo. With such a prize at stake, the stage is set for a series of bloody frays between Japan’s most skilled and deadly ninjas and swordsmen in a conflict that will have a profound effect on the country’s future.

A mind-blowing, eye-popping action epic that easily matches the visionary ambitions of Kiriya’s debut movie, Goemon is a fast-paced historical adventure packed with the same kind of dazzling costumes, set designs, inspired visuals and awesome special effects that made ‘Casshern’ such an original and singularly spectacular cinematic experience.

Goemon (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£12.99) by Momentum Pictures on 16th August 2010. Extra features include: Interview with Kazuaki Kiriya, Making of Goemon, Making of a digital world and Trailer.

Goemon_07082218.jpg

Post and win!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what happened to the planned UK Bluray release too :squigglemouth:

LOL I was thinking the same thing as a visually stunning film needs to be seen in Hi Def.

kingofkungfu2002
LOL I was thinking the same thing as a visually stunning film needs to be seen in Hi Def.

I've got the Taiwan Bluray (region free):

http://www.yesasia.com/global/goemon-blu-ray-english-subtitled-taiwan-version/1022791506-0-0-0-en/info.html

The HK Bluray's also out now (region free):

http://www.yesasia.com/global/goemon-blu-ray-english-subtitled-hong-kong-version/1023017842-0-0-0-en/info.html

I hope it's better than Casshern ! the film bored me silly, had dreadful action and imho was style over substance. could've been a great movie but was'nt.

One Armed Boxer

Not one for the purists, and definitely not modern martial arts either...this should be in the Japanese section!

What are your thoughts about the film?

I agree with Blue_skies, Casshern bored me to death and that goes for almost all japanese films.

kingofkungfu2002

I enjoyed Casshern, so I'm probably not the best person to ask lol...But if it's action you're after then Goemon has tons more and is visually stunning (even more so than Casshern)

I enjoyed Casshern, so I'm probably not the best person to ask lol...But if it's action you're after then Goemon has tons more and is visually stunning (even more so than Casshern)

Loads of action sounds great because it was the dialogue in Casshern that bored me. So the Taiwan Blu-ray is Region free as it is stated as Region A on Yesasia.

kingofkungfu2002

The Taiwan bluray is definitely region free, because it works on my player and my player isn't multiregion.

300 could be an accurate comparison...thought 300 is hugely overrated myself and I doubt there's going to be much in the way of quality action, let alone martial arts.

like OAB said I think this thread belongs in the Japanese section, not here!

Archived