14 Blades (2010)

cultlabs

12 hours ago, Iron_Leopard said:

This movie is 8 years old this year. Anyone else want to rewatch this and see if your opinoon has changed?

I'll revisit it later this year. When deciding what movies to keep and not keep, I decided to keep this one, because I liked it both times I saw it before.

• Like 3

Not a good movie. Overlong, not interesting characters save 1-2 too much slow motions and wires in action. Best thing in flick was clearly Wu Chun, seems he has great skills and have to check his other flicks. I`m not into  wu xia flicks made these days and not seen whole lot of them but this was definitely one of weakest. Imo it do not even please eye much in costumes and sets. Might be use of colors, seems yellow and brown dominated quite heavily.

Shaws made lot better movies with similar core in storyline 3 decades earlier. 

Yawn.

• Like 2

All you naysayers can bugger off. This a is a DAMN good film. It suffers from two obvious issues: it's bloated and there are some questionable visual effects. But besides these negatives, I have nothing but positivity for this film. It's dark, has a nice 90's wire-fu feel and gives Donnie a character that suits his wooden acting stylings. The sets are lavish and the fight scenes, while flawed, are pretty great. There's nice choreography, gimmicky weapons and some very nice flourishes.
I'm not sure why this film is so universally shunned. Or at least disregarded. It's very enjoyable. Again, overlong. But enjoyable. I'd probably take this over a number of Donnie's more well regarded films, if I'm honest.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
12 minutes ago, Drunken Monk said:

gives Donnie a character that suits his wooden acting stylings

I like this movie. also I agree with what I have quoted above. It was nice knowing you man, I hope you are well-hidden from the Donnie Yen fan army that is coming for you after you criticized  him Chinese New Year Yes GIF by Sherchle

I quite like it, and remember enjoying it more when I rewatched it. Good action, and good chemistry between Donnie and Zhao Wei.

However, there's some things that the director could've changed to make the movie better than it ended up being. Like changing the look of the costume design (it looks so pirate-ish ala Pirates of the Caribbean), replace Kate Tsui (the main villainess) with someone more competent (like Kara Hui), and give Donnie more scenes with real martial arts actors -- he has fight scenes involving real stuntmen, and gets to square off against veteran Shaw Bros actor Chen Kuan-Tai in one scene. But that's it. Veteran Mainland martial arts actor Xu Xiang-Dong has a meaty role here but ends up fighting popstar Wu Chun instead of Donnie (talk about wasted opportunity!). 

• Like 1