14 Blades (2010)

cultlabs

First of all, big apologies to people who posted in my previous threads who were promised freebies but then met with silence. I've PMed those involved and from now on, I'll keep on top of things better. My bad, won't happen again.

Ok... 14 Blades!

Out very soon in the UK, here's a new one starring Sammo Hung and Donnie Yen

14blades_BD_3d.jpg

“14 BLADES IS A TRUE MARVEL… A PERFECT UPDATE OF THE MARTIAL ARTS GENRE.” – TWITCH.

The latest historical martial arts epic from Daniel Lee, the acclaimed director of ‘Three Kingdoms’ and ‘Dragon Squad’, 14 Blades stars Donnie Yen (Bodyguards And Assassins; Ip Man; An Empress And The Warriors), Wei Zhao (Mulan; Red Cliff; Shaolin Soccer), Damian Lau (Three Kingdoms), Ma Wu (House Of Fury), Sammo Hung (Three Kingdoms; Kill Zone) and former Miss Hong Kong, Kate Tsui (Short Of Love), in an action-packed, awe-inspiring and sumptuously mounted tale of heroism, intrigue and romance.

Nominated for two Hong Kong Film Awards, including Best Action Choreography (for Ku Huen Chiu, the martial arts coordinator on ‘Kill Bill’), the winner of the prestigious Shanghai Film Critics Award for Best Actress (Wei Zhao), and the winner of the Best Fight Scene award at this year’s inaugural Action Fest, the film’s notable box office performance in China has seen it taking the equivalent of 21 million US dollars to date, making it the country’s eighth most successful film in the first half of 2010.

At the dawn of the Ming Dynasty, in order to consolidate all power and keep his bloodline on the throne, the Emperor established a secure system of defence for himself by taking young orphans off the street and training them to the highest martial arts standards to become his secret guards. Called Jinyiwei, the Brocade Guards, these warriors operated under their own code of law, led by the most skilled of their number, Qinglong (Yen). Bestowed upon him as leader is a box containing 14 steel blades, eight of which are to be used for interrogation and the remaining six for execution.

When the Imperial Court is usurped by the evil eunuch Jia, Qinglong is assigned to steal a list identifying those still loyal to the Emperor. But unknown to him, the Jinyiwei themselves have fallen under the control of Jia, who, in league with an exiled noble, Prince Qing (Hung), is plotting to rebel against the Emperor and seize power. During his mission to obtain the list, Qinglong is betrayed by his own men and barely escapes with his life. Now, as the most wanted man in the land, he must seek out and rally the loyalists to rise against Jia and restore the Emperor to power. But standing before him are the deadliest assassins in the land – his former brethren, the Jinyiwei.

Featuring breathtaking wire-work, dazzling swordfights, incredible martial arts action, over-the-top set pieces, epic scenery, a cool spaghetti western style soundtrack, a heartstring-tugging romantic sub-plot and a super-sexy female villain in the form of Kate Tsui, 14 Blades delivers on every level.

14 Blades (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£17.99) and Blu-ray (£17.99) by Icon Home Entertainment on 16th August 2010. Special Features include: interviews with cast and crew.

Blades20.jpg

Free copy to one lucky poster...

Great to see these titles getting a blu ray release.

I have the dvd and Blu ray to review, upon initial inspection i noticed Mandarin language only, is that correct or was it Cantonese upon cinema release...

Noelle Shadow Kick

I keep hearing mixed reviews about this film. I definitely intend on watching it though since I'm on a bit of a Donnie Yen kick at the moment. After watching the two Ip Man films I've pretty much rewatched all his films that I own lol

I have the dvd and Blu ray to review, upon initial inspection i noticed Mandarin language only, is that correct or was it Cantonese upon cinema release...

I'll chase this up...

mandarin is its original language

Thanks Fiol, i thought it was, but the HK dvd lists Cantonese and Mandarin so i was a bit confused....

cantonese is the dubbed version

Drunken Monk

I'm actually very eager to see this film as it's one of the few Donnie Yen films that didn't reveal too much footage before it was released. I've seen hardly any of the action so I'm genuinely excited to see what it has to offer.

Anyone picked up 14 Blades this week?

I gathered some of the good reviews together for anyone who wants a look

CULT LABS BLOG

I watched this at the weekend. It was a fantastic film. Makes up for a lot of the disappointment and over hype of other recent films such as Ip Man and Ip Man 2.

Though if you don't like wire fu then you might want to steer clear. But otherwise it was great, like a throwback to the type of films HK used to put out in the early/mid nineties.

There's an absolutely awesome fight between Donnie and Chen Kuan Tai in a forest, with Kuan Tai using tiger claw. Despite the name of the film there is actually a fair bit of one on one hand to hand fighting, and IMHO this particular fight is a classic!

If I had only one gripe about the film it would be that I didn't really like the main fighting villain. The CGI used for her 'fake clothing' technique was a bit pants.

pretty much agree with what SimonMW said,I saw this film a few months ago,I really enjoyed it was a mixed bag of everything and I thought it was really well done. one of the better films in recent months :)

I enjoyed it, but it was a mild enjoyment. The film wasn't as bad as Seven Swords, at least. I can't agree that it was better than Ip Man, however. Two different tiers of movies, imo.

Here's a couple of good review links on the CULT LABS BLOG

Drunken Monk, PM me if you want a free copy, I always pick someone to get a DVD/BR after the campaign has finished. If you already have the film, I'm sure I can find another Asian movie to post.

Morgoth Bauglir

This movie didn’t do much for me. It started out good with Donnie going to kill some guy and I was thinking wow, this may actually be better than Secret Service of the Imperial Court. It had such a dark badass feel to it. Then there is the torture scene which is pretty cool, but the way the girl villain’s fight was shot made me realize that this is a Daniel Lee movie, and I should have known that he would ruin it. But then the Chen Kuan Tai fight got me to sit back up in my chair. That whole scene is good. I like how Donnie was taunting them saying they are using the same fighting formations he invented. But after that I became more and more bored as it went on. I had my finger on the stop button during the final fight waiting for it to finally end. Luckily it did end. I went into this with high expectations and it didn't deliver. Black Mask is still my favorite Daniel Lee movie, and that's not saying much.

Daniel Lee is a young director who made only ten movies, with intentions of pay homage to several mega stars of the seventies and eighties, as we can see in the cast of his productions. He has his own "actors fetish", and he is this kind of director that pick them for all his productions realizing the big success, sometimes with medium budget.

I've watched:

- 14 Blades (2010): Donnie Yen is a superb choreographer, but as actor he is good, good for me is not equal to excellent. He made great performances like in Sha Po Lang (btw sensational choreographed fight between Donnie Yen vs Jakie Wu Jing, Donnie won the Hong Kong Film Award in 2006 for Best Action Choreography), Dragon TIger Gate (again choreographed by Donnie, he won the Golden Bauhinia Award in 2007 for Best Action Choreography, nominated in Hong Kong Film Awards) or Ip Man (Donnie Yen won awards for Best Actor) ... I feel that he makes a prototype for stand up in front of the camera and enough. This movie is good, I was very glad to watch Chen Kuan Tai, but the movie is not one of my favs.

- Three Kingdoms Resurrection of the Dragon (2008): a resume in one hour and half ot the real history of Red Cliff battle. Again Andy Lau save the whole film with his presence onscreen. And into the cast, the mentioned "actors fetish" of this director: Sammo Hung, Maggie Q (do not like her performance), Andy On, Vanness Wu. I enjoyed it, good one.

- Dragon Squad (2005): Following the structure of the action police movie, is another film with a rush of gunpowder, adrenaline and fights. Again the "actor fetish" in the cast: Vanness Wu, Andy On, Shawn Yue, Sammo Hung, Maggie Q, Simon Yam. Yeck!!!

- Star Runner (2003) For me the most interesting film of this director, it was very touching to watch again onscreen David Chiang, Ti Lung (as the Wing Chun teacher), Gordon Liu (as the coach), and of course fantastic fighting scenes, with Andy On (Onimal!!!) (he won the Hong Kong Films Award for Best New Artist... and nominated Vanness Wu) Vanness Wu, and others. Maybe not a supreme movie but I liked! :nerd:

The sixth generation of filmmakers is a mix between the superlative creative ones and the "break the ticket office to any cost" ones. :wink:

Alexandra

Iron_Leopard

I just got an urge out of nowhere to rewatch this movie. Been so long since I've seen it I barely remember it. I do recall it feeling like a movie straight out of 1992. I remember liking it. Ming Dynasty is my favorite era for martial arts movies so I'm a little biased. 

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard

I just rewatch ed this. A little over dramatic at the end but I'm happy to confirm I'm a fan of this film. It might even be my third favorite Yen film since his resurgence that started in 05 with "SPL". 

This movie is 8 years old this year. Anyone else want to rewatch this and see if your opinoon has changed?

• Like 1