What are some good movies about mandatory South Korean military service?

Guest starusanrc

Guest starusanrc

I have to do a paper for my Korean Cinema class. I have to watch three movies about Military Service. I need some ideas- "The Unforgiven", "Going Crazy Waiting", and parts of "Peppermint Candy".

I was wondering if there are any other good ideas for movies about the military service. I find this an interesting topic- especially since I have some friends who are going to do their service soon. Suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't let your friends step on Korean Soil without watching Taegukgi

Taegukgi Hwinallimyo (Hangul: 태극기 휘날리며) is a 2004 South Korean war film directed by Kang Je-gyu. It tells the story about the effect of the Korean War on two brothers. The film's title is the name of the pre-war Flag of Korea as well as the postwar Flag of South Korea. It was released in the United Kingdom as Brotherhood: Taegukgi and the United States as Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War.

The 2 disc set is worth it. You will find lot of info on the special features.

Chia Ling AKA Judy Lee

Where are you doing your Korean cinema class? Sounds interesting. Check out 'Break Out' 2002 for another perspective...

Welcome to Dongmakgol (2005)

Yes.

Check out 'Break Out' 2002 for another perspective...

This is exactly the film I was going to suggest. I almost didn't notice it had been mentioned already; I always think of it as SPARK THE LIGHTER. The "official" English title BREAK OUT seems like it was picked at random from a list. Whatever it's called, it's a great combination of fable and action/comedy that should be better known than it is. The Korean disc with English subtitles is out of print.

JSA Joint Security Area

Yes, of course. (And it's well overdue on Blu-ray.)

Archived