Musa (2001)

The Amazing Psycho Per

The Amazing Psycho Per

I know the Korean version is longer, but I've seen the shorter international version. Is the Korean version better or has the international version trimed down the fat?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have both and I like the extended version better, not really much of a big difference though, as far as action scenes go so you're not really losing out on anything major.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Thanks daisho. I think I'll probably stick with the international version... You didn't convince me it was worth plunking extra $ dollars for the Korean version :tongue:.

I'm going to have to watch them both back to back now to really tell you what is the difference but I really didn't think it was all that much. I really hate when they add extra scenes to a movie that it doesn't make a big difference just the companies trying to get more money out of us!

The Amazing Psycho Per

To be fair, I don't think they added scenes to the movie. It's more likely that they removed some scenes from the Korean theatrical version, to make a shorter international version. But maybe I'm wrong...

I wasn't even aware there was a shorter version. But not interested. I can't see this movie with anything edited out. It's perfect as is.

And another one off the list. Watched the korean version (158 minutes) but time really just flew by, great movie! The costumes, the scenery, the story, music not to mention the vicious and bloody (some gore as well) battles. It all works beautifully together. Highly recommended!

One Armed Boxer
10 hours ago, laagi said:

And another one off the list. Watched the korean version (158 minutes) but time really just flew by, great movie! The costumes, the scenery, the story, music not to mention the vicious and bloody (some gore as well) battles. It all works beautifully together. Highly recommended!

For me 'Musa' rivals one of those epic Daivd Lean movies from the 1950's.  It's scale and storytelling are a joy to watch, and yes, the action is brutal and bloody.  Made at a time when it was hip to cast Zhang Ziyi in anything, but here her presence is a welcome one, accompanied by excellent turns from veteran Ahn Sung-ki and Jung Woo-sung (not to mention Yu Ronggguang!).  I feel like 'Musa' is one of those movies that everyone has heard about, but not so many have seen, which is a shame, as I really think it's a highlight not only of Korean cinema, but cinema as a whole. 

4 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

For me 'Musa' rivals one of those epic Daivd Lean movies from the 1950's.  It's scale and storytelling are a joy to watch, and yes, the action is brutal and bloody.  Made at a time when it was hip to cast Zhang Ziyi in anything, but here her presence is a welcome one, accompanied by excellent turns from veteran Ahn Sung-ki and Jung Woo-sung (not to mention Yu Ronggguang!).  I feel like 'Musa' is one of those movies that everyone has heard about, but not so many have seen, which is a shame, as I really think it's a highlight not only of Korean cinema, but cinema as a whole. 

Some interesting things that you mention in your reply. It does feel epic. Also they have a constant grain or tint in the picture which gives it a certain feel or look. One I really liked! I forgot to mention as you pointed out the acting was top notch! And that's something I've been wondering too... What happened to Zhang Ziyi!? Admittedly I had a bit of a crush on her back in the day. Yes, I agree with your last sentence. I hear a lot of talk about Musa but apparently there's not really many who actually watched it. Maybe the long runtime is a bit of a turn off? Or is it the lack of availability? Rented on iTunes courtesy of Dragon Dynasty subbed & uncut.

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, laagi said:

And that's something I've been wondering too... What happened to Zhang Ziyi!?

Still very much around.  She was last seen starring alongside Wu Jing and Jackie Chan in 'The Climbers'.

2 hours ago, laagi said:

I hear a lot of talk about Musa but apparently there's not really many who actually watched it. Maybe the long runtime is a bit of a turn off? Or is it the lack of availability?

I don't think it's down to a lack of availablility, as it's had a release in all of the major territories.

I think it's more to do with the timing of its release.  Back in 2001 Korean cinema was often grouped together with HK cinema when it came to their marketing in the west (I remember on the UK DVD cover for 'Nowhere to Hide', it asked if the world was ready for the next John Woo!), and while within a couple of years things had improved, the 'brand' of Korean cinema developed for a western audience was that of bloody revenge thrillers and gangster movies.  I'm not sure at the time that many distributors really knew what to do with a movie like 'Musa'.

Then of course came 'Red Cliff' and the subsequent battlefield movie mania that dominated the late 00's.  I often saw 'Musa' awakwardly inserted into discussions around the number of battlefield movies that were flooding the markets, even though I don't really consider it a battlefield movie, and more importantly it had come out almost a decade before many of the other titles that were being discussed!

Archived