Eye In The Sky (2007)

Guest Beat TG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest skulldugrey

yeah, I just watched it last night and it's pretty good! Simon Yam and Tony Leung Ka-Fai are good in their roles, and it's great to see Maggie Shiu again too, she looks good as the SU commander. at 90 minutes, Yau Nai-Hoi keeps the pace moving briskly, and Guy Zerafa can add another quality score to his list of HK films. not the best ever from Milkyway, but so far one of the best HK films of the year and certainly worthy of a purchase!

Guest Beat TG

Seeing Yau Nai Hoi's directorial debut was simply a treat! I must say it's one of the best HK movies I've seen in recent times. The main attraction of the movie (using a clichéd plot) is how the cops and the criminals communicate with each other non-verbally, unaware of each other, in order to expose each of the sides' acts and how things progress through that (this is far from pulling off an Enemy Of The State, which people has dubbed it for).

If there are negativities in the movie then it would be how events change during the 2nd half of the movie and the character development (Yau Nai Hoi could have done more development for the other characters; Simon Yam, Kate Tsui, Tony Leung and Lam Suet got the most flesh while we're left thinking about the other characters that were as interesting).

But overall, I'm very impressed with Yau Nai Hoi's direction, the production values and the main actors' performances (Kate Tsui is a newcomer who did her part surprisingly good). If you ask me, it's the best HK movie currently (in terms of story and character development) and another excellent Milkyway piece in my books! Highly recommended!

The movie is finally getting a BD release on December 4, distributed by Kam & Ronson.

http://www.yesasia.com/global/eye-in-the-sky-2007-blu-ray-hong-kong-version/1046802872-0-0-0-en/info.html

Great film, and a reissue would be principally good news... if it wasn't K & R. Now, they did put out a pretty decent DVD already, so I remain sceptical that they will present anything more than a very modest upgrade.

Archived