Some help with hk dvd purchases

Votan

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I looked at the Marketplace forum and it seemed to be for trading, not discussions on buying dvds from stores. If this thread is misplaced, my apologies.

I'm a longtime Kung Fu fan, but up until now I've been buying the r1 releases of movies and haven't really looked into sites like HKFlix. I was happy with the Shaw Bros films from Celestial Pictures through Well Go and Image, and with Dragon Dynasty for my more contemporary fix.

With recent disappointing Dragon Dynasty releases (and learning that some of the early ones I thought were good actually had a lot of problems and items missing), along with the disappointing Miramax blu-rays, I am thinking of wading into the different international versions to get some of the movies I love without edits and dumbed down or poor subtitles.

The problem of course comes from me going to HKFlix and getting lost due to all the different versions of movies that come up, and the fact I don't have the right knowledge to pick the good ones.

Any help you guys could give in pointing me to good versions of these films (and recommended me stuff I'm probably not aware of) would be greatly appreciated.

Hero (Blu-ray looks beautiful, but the subtitles are horrible)

Fist of Legend (Blu-ray is cut and has different and somehow worse subtitles than the DD DVD version of the same movie)

Legendary Assassin (Wu Jing)

Sha Po Long (I'm interested in a DVD version that has the other ending than the one DD used, where a certain character lived)

Fong Sai Yuk

Once Upon a Time in China 1-3, and 6

Five Deadly Venoms (DD subtitles were a mess again)

Shaolin Temple 1-2 (Either Jet Li or Shaw Bros films, or both ideally)

Thank you for your time, guys.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

Fist of Legend: The only decent version ( and only other alternative afaik) is the French one by HK Video. It's expensive and only has french subs. It's worth the investment if you speak french...

http://www.amazon.fr/Fist-Legend-%C3%89dition-Collector-Limit%C3%A9e/dp/B0000630KD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1280967924&sr=8-1

Legendary Assassin: Saw the HK version didn't see anything wrong except the movie itself.

Sha Po Lang: Deltamac's version is fine and has the right ending.

DVD http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=5151B

BR http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=8742

Fong Sai Yuk: Universe version stinks. Apparantly DD's too. There's also an edition by HK Video but I haven't seen it so can't comment.

Five Deadly Venoms: I don't know if the subs are any different but IVL version was fine by my standards.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3485

Shaolin Temple 1-2 : Jet Li's Shaolin Temple has a Mei Ah remastered edition wich is fine by me. Again, IVL's Shaolin Temple should do the trick for the Shaw one.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=3196

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=2962

Somebody like Chen Lung could help you more with DVD comparaisons and such, but that's what I can help you with...

Thank you, I appreciate your help. Chen Lung is a poster here? Would it be proper etiquette to send him a private message if he doesn't respond to this thread?

Hero (Blu-ray looks beautiful, but the subtitles are horrible)

Yeah, Miramax made a few alterations to the subtitles.

There's also the Extended Edition. See DVD Compare.

I've got the R3 theatrical edition. Saw a UK cinema screening and on TV (the latter made improvement's on Miramax's set).

Fist of Legend (Blu-ray is cut and has different and somehow worse subtitles than the DD DVD version of the same movie)

I find faults with all versions.

There's the German DVD which is Cantonese/subtitled, which is based on Metropolitan's version (apparently issues with varying audio speed).

See Wikipedia.

Used to have the Mei Ah VCD. I've got the Ritek DVD and the Made In Hong Kong VHS.

Legendary Assassin (Wu Jing)

Not sure. If a UK or US distributor release it, it could be better quality.

Never seen or owned it.

Sha Po Long (I'm interested in a DVD version that has the other ending than the one DD used, where a certain character lived)

DD's DVD is fine, I'd say.

The only quibbles were the slightly reduced green-tint and subtitles (suitable quality thankfully) that only remastered the current ones in presentation (as opposed to re-translating them).

It's alright really:wink:.

Got DD's DVD, whilst I used to have Deltamac's.

Fong Sai Yuk

Metropolitan's DVD will probably be better quality than the Japanese Maxam DVD (interlaced and muffled mono), but no subtitles on either.

The only English-subtitled (near) uncut DVD is by Universe.

I have the Universe and Maxam DVDs. Used to have a recording of the 1999 broadcast on Channel 4 (UK).

Once Upon a Time in China 1-3, and 6

For parts 1-3, I'd probably say IVL (Blu-Rays are upscales) because all areas are improved. Perhaps Columbia Tri-Star (in their ghastly presentations of the Chinese versions) offers better subtitles.

Only got HKL DVDs.

For 6, the German DVD (not Blu-Ray - an upscale).

Used to have the UK DVD, but due to get this shortly hopefully!

Five Deadly Venoms (DD subtitles were a mess again)

Probably the best available (mono and proper transfer), despite the reportedly rubbish subtitles.

Used to have IVL's DVD.

Shaolin Temple 1-2 (Either Jet Li or Shaw Bros films, or both ideally)

For the Jet Li films, DD had the rights, so there could be better uncut transfers with genuine mono (not sure if Mei Ah is downmixed) and improved subtitles. Also extras (although I wouldn't count on this).

For the Shaw film, the German DVD looks to be the best (don't know how the subtitles are). DD also has the rights for it, so improvements might be possible.

I have IVL's DVD.

In addition to Wikipedia, I find OFDB useful as well:wink:.

Does the Deltamac dvd/blu-ray that is linked to in this thread have a different ending than the Dragon Dynasty DVD? There are two cuts to this movie as I understand it, the Hong Kong version (Dragon Dynasty used this one) and the Mainland China cut.

The difference is, of course,

*SPOILERS*

in Dragon Dynasty's dvd Donnie Yen dies after being thrown on top of Sammo Hung's wife and child in their car. The Mainland China version has Donnie Yen live and Sammo Hung's family is not killed.

*END SPOILERS*

Can one of you tell me which version the Deltamac dvd/blu-ray has? Thanks.

BlurayStation3

The mainland Zoke Culture dvd of Fist of Legend is a port of the French HK Video release, so there's a cheap option if you can't get the HK Video dvd.

make believe

DD's DVD is fine, I'd say.

The only quibbles were the slightly reduced green-tint and subtitles (suitable quality thankfully) that only remastered the current ones in presentation (as opposed to re-translating them).

It's alright really:wink:.

Got DD's DVD, whilst I used to have Deltamac's.

Don't forget the terrible renaming of the movie to Kill Zone. That alone was enough to make me go for the Deltamac.

make believe
Does the Deltamac dvd/blu-ray that is linked to in this thread have a different ending than the Dragon Dynasty DVD? There are two cuts to this movie as I understand it, the Hong Kong version (Dragon Dynasty used this one) and the Mainland China cut.

Both endings are the same on the Deltamac and the Dragon Dynasty disc.

Archived