Bruce Lee Lives? PB - Max Caulfield, 1975

Karlos

Have just found this book via eBay and was wondering if any of you had read/heard of it?

I'm currently aprt way thru it and it's a strange little book, total rubbish factually, of course, but surprisingly well written - given that it is essentially nothing more than a Bruce cash-in.

BTW, certain online sellers are charging seriously silly money for copies. eBay and Amazon.co.uk have them at much more sensible prices (like 1p!)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the book and supposedly the info on Lee and his relationship with Ting Pei is changed for the book. Lots of interesting subtexts though. The HK info about people after the investigator is intriguing.

dionbrother

Have it as well, but haven't read it. Curious about its origins but can't find anything about it on the pulp paperback collector sites.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wondered about the Ting Pei references - good to know, Dragon!

And you're right, DionBrother - there's literally no info on this book on the net. I wonder if "Max Caulfield" (presumably not the actor!), is a pen name?

It's certainly an interesting curio, and I wonder, were there any more books like this?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I wonder if "Max Caulfield" (presumably not the actor!), is a pen name?QUOTE]

You can only pray that the same guy wasn't responsible for exploiting Bruce Lee and starring in GREASE 2!!! :ooh: If it is the same guy, he probably has a birthmark under his hairline that reads "666"! :xd:

I got this myself a while back for something comical like 75p and have never been able to find any information about it. It's a pretty entertaining read if you're into the more curious side of Bruceploitation, if total garbage in near enough every way. My only real disappointment came when I got the book and read the disclaimers saying this was a huge work of fiction. It might be slightly more readable if it had been presented as the true conspiracy theory of some nut.

I agree 100% with your assessment, Blacula!!

I'd love to get some more info on either the book or the writer, as neither seem to have anything at all about them on the internet.

EDIT: “Max Caulfield” is shown per one book website as the author of such varied works as a biography of notorious UK TV busybody Mary Whitehouse, as well as books on Ireland and The Easter Rebellion – these were all written in the late 60s and 70s.

There’s also a “Max Caulfield” listed as a “respected journalist” in New Statesman magazine – again, no idea if it’s the same man.

I agree 100% with your assessment, Blacula!!

I'd love to get some more info on either the book or the writer, as neither seem to have anything at all about them on the internet.

EDIT: “Max Caulfield” is shown per one book website as the author of such varied works as a biography of notorious UK TV busybody Mary Whitehouse, as well as books on Ireland and The Easter Rebellion – these were all written in the late 60s and 70s.

There’s also a “Max Caulfield” listed as a “respected journalist” in New Statesman magazine – again, no idea if it’s the same man.

He also 'helped' Linda Lee (i.e. Ghost Write) the UK edition of BRUCE LEE, THE MAN ONLY I KNEW (uk title was THE LIFE & TRAGIC DEATH OF BRUCE LEE). If you look in the acknowlegements of the uk version she thanks him.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I wondered about the Ting Pei references - good to know, Dragon!

And you're right, DionBrother - there's literally no info on this book on the net. I wonder if "Max Caulfield" (presumably not the actor!), is a pen name?

It's certainly an interesting curio, and I wonder, were there any more books like this?

Actually he's a real "journalist." He also wrote the Playboy article on Bruce from the early 80's (Deadliest Man Alive). He can also be seen in the doc Curse of The Dragon, where he's making his personal comments on Bruce's demise.

Not the most endearing person.

:squigglemouth:

I have the article saved to my PC, I'll post it here soon.

That's pretty good to find out that he's a real person at least. I wonder if Bruce's estate went over this book before they hired him to help ghost write Linda's? Shame they opted for that instead of 'Bruce Lee Lives?' to turn into the biopic. Probably would have turned out more coherent.

That's pretty good to find out that he's a real person at least. I wonder if Bruce's estate went over this book before they hired him to help ghost write Linda's? Shame they opted for that instead of 'Bruce Lee Lives?' to turn into the biopic. Probably would have turned out more coherent.

BRUCE LEE LIVES came after Linda Lee's book and came from the same publisher if I remember (Star Books). Maybe Caulfield asked Linda Lee if he could write a fictional story with Bruce as a character? This was in the early days of kung fu fever and there wasn't the copyright or likeness issues that surround Bruce Lee these days. Linda probably agreed because of Caulfield's help with her book. I couldn't see that happening today.

dionbrother

Dragon:

Actually he's a real "journalist." He also wrote the Playboy article on Bruce from the early 80's (Deadliest Man Alive). He can also be seen in the doc Curse of The Dragon, where he's making his personal comments on Bruce's demise.

You are thinking of Albert Goldman, and I believe that article was in Penthouse. Goldman did similar hatchet jobs on Elvis and John Lennon. Phil Hartman even portrayed him in a Saturday Night Live sketch, revealing that he was the "fifth Beatle."

Dragon:

You are thinking of Albert Goldman, and I believe that article was in Penthouse. Goldman did similar hatchet jobs on Elvis and John Lennon. Phil Hartman even portrayed him in a Saturday Night Live sketch, revealing that he was the "fifth Beatle."

Damn. You're right. No wonder I had a hard time tracking the article. Thanks for the correction. I have so much BL material, sometimes it gets mixed up in my head.

Much appreciated correction.

:smile:

Article:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14666372/Bruce-Lee-Penthouse-Article

Archived