Jackie Chan DVDs 1977-79

Gaijin84

Just a quick opinion needed on some releases of Jackie Chan films. What are the best versions (imho original language, widescreen, uncut, subtitles) for the following films? Region does not matter.

36 Crazy Fists

Spiritual Kung Fu

Dragon Fist

thanks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check out my new site which i am currently building www.jackiechandvds.co.uk

Im listing all the Jackie dvd's released and the pro,s and cons....long way to go and if anyone wants to add comments or corrections go right ahead.....

Just a quick opinion needed on some releases of Jackie Chan films. What are the best versions (imho original language, widescreen, uncut, subtitles) for the following films? Region does not matter.

36 Crazy Fists

Spiritual Kung Fu

Dragon Fist

thanks!

I believe 36 Crazy Fists is the movie he is not really in, but he is a stunt co-ordinator or something. They just made some kind of behind the scenes footage with him and let some of that footage run in the beginning of the movie then marketed the film as a Jackie Chan movie. I think you can find the footage on youtube.

As for Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist I use the HKL DVDs. The picture is quite good, you got the chinese audio and an english dub and I believe they are both uncut.

As for Spiritual Kung Fu and Dragon Fist I use the HKL DVDs. The picture is quite good, you got the chinese audio and an english dub and I believe they are both uncut.

I read somewhere that the HKL Spiritual Kung Fu is cut, and the only full version is the Korean release? Of course that is impossible to find...

Great site Gaijin84, a lot of very good information there!

I think you mean David :tongue:

I agree though, excellent site!!

I read somewhere that the HKL Spiritual Kung Fu is cut, and the only full version is the Korean release? Of course that is impossible to find...

Do you know excactly how much and what footage is cut from it?

I read on dvd compare that the HKL and the Korean are uncut...heres what that site says, i will add all this info when i get round to that film on my site....:wink:

* R0 Hong Kong- Ocean Shores - This version is re-edited by the distributor and is missing 3m 49s compared to the R3 Spectrum release:

1 - Yi Lang's comment about having to start his punishment again = 8s

2 - After the monk claims the ghosts are going under his clothes, they all continue fighting against the ghosts whilst Yi Lang wonders what's going on = 3m 38s

3 - The end abruptly cuts off - 3s.

(Thanks to chen lung for these details)

* R0 United Kingdom- Eastern Heroes - This version is re-edited by the distributor and is missing 50s compared to the R3 Spectrum release:

1 - 'Lo Wei Productions' introduction is slightly trimmed = 1s.

2 - First few seconds of Yi Lang walking at the start during his punishment = 2s.

3 - Long shot of monks entering the Soliature Halls for nightduty = 1s.

4 - Yi Lang's friend signaling him to line up with the other monks = 3s.

5 - Yi Lang claiming his innocence in the cell = 0.5s.

6 - All the brothers walking towards Yi Lang in the sleeping room = 1s.

7 - The Grand Master saying "Hey!" to the monk running away from the ghosts they have just discovered = 1s.

8 - Start of scene when Wu Lin Leader and Fung-Er are entering Shaolin Temple = 1s.

9 - In the 1st Yi Lang vs Fung-Er fight, when she swings hers arms, there is a little more before the next shot of Yi Lang's back = 2s.

10 - Luk punching the Wu Lin candidate quite a few paces = 2s.

11 - Lo Han monk fighting Yi Lang with the pole = 36s.

* R1 America- Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment - Status unknown.

* R2 France- Seven - Status unknown.

* R2 United Kingdom- Hong Kong Legends - Ultra-Bit Edition - No cuts. Complete version.

* R3 Korea- Spectrum - No cuts - complete version.

Check out my new site which i am currently building www.jackiechandvds.co.uk

Im listing all the Jackie dvd's released and the pro,s and cons....long way to go and if anyone wants to add comments or corrections go right ahead.....

huge work right there... pity that u miss a lot mainland edition of his movies

I read on dvd compare that the HKL and the Korean are uncut...heres what that site says, i will add all this info when i get round to that film on my site....:wink:

* R0 Hong Kong- Ocean Shores - This version is re-edited by the distributor and is missing 3m 49s compared to the R3 Spectrum release:

1 - Yi Lang's comment about having to start his punishment again = 8s

2 - After the monk claims the ghosts are going under his clothes, they all continue fighting against the ghosts whilst Yi Lang wonders what's going on = 3m 38s

3 - The end abruptly cuts off - 3s.

* R0 United Kingdom- Eastern Heroes - This version is re-edited by the distributor and is missing 50s compared to the R3 Spectrum release:

1 - 'Lo Wei Productions' introduction is slightly trimmed = 1s.

2 - First few seconds of Yi Lang walking at the start during his punishment = 2s.

3 - Long shot of monks entering the Soliature Halls for nightduty = 1s.

4 - Yi Lang's friend signaling him to line up with the other monks = 3s.

5 - Yi Lang claiming his innocence in the cell = 0.5s.

6 - All the brothers walking towards Yi Lang in the sleeping room = 1s.

7 - The Grand Master saying "Hey!" to the monk running away from the ghosts they have just discovered = 1s.

8 - Start of scene when Wu Lin Leader and Fung-Er are entering Shaolin Temple = 1s.

9 - In the 1st Yi Lang vs Fung-Er fight, when she swings hers arms, there is a little more before the next shot of Yi Lang's back = 2s.

10 - Luk punching the Wu Lin candidate quite a few paces = 2s.

11 - Lo Han monk fighting Yi Lang with the pole = 36s.

* R1 America- Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment - Status unknown.

* R2 France- Seven - Status unknown.

* R2 United Kingdom- Hong Kong Legends - Ultra-Bit Edition - No cuts. Complete version.

* R3 Korea- Spectrum - No cuts - complete version.

Great information - thanks!! Time to grab that HKL version!

Originally was this filmed in Mandarin or Cantonese?

A lot of the mainland dvd's dont have English subs or are long OOP...

Good luck trying to find a HKL version of Spiritual Kung Fu, its OOP and very hard to find.

I think the film was originally released in Mandarin but a Cantonese dub was done after Jackie's success with Snake In The Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master.

the best dvds are the japanese ones, best picture and by far the best audio, the HKL audio is horrid.

no eng subs on the Jap dvds but who needs em, surley by now we all know the films inside out,

they (lo wei ones) are hard to get and a bit expensive look on Japanese yahoo auction.

snakecrane-2.jpg

Spiritual kung fu was originally released in Cantonese and Mandarin as it came out after Snake in the Eagles shadow

A lot of the mainland dvd's dont have English subs or are long OOP...

Good luck trying to find a HKL version of Spiritual Kung Fu, its OOP and very hard to find.

I think the film was originally released in Mandarin but a Cantonese dub was done after Jackie's success with Snake In The Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master.

actually they are not that rare to find .. and most of them have eng subs (d5 or d9, vcds on the other hand dont have any ) xP..if you want i can help you on listing them..

Thanks for the info.

If people would like me to list the Japanese releases or any other countries that dont have English subs or dubs please let me know. As for the China dvd's i would gladly take your help Fiol, pm me and we can go from there...:wink:

It's not really that simple. It depends on each film. For 'Spiritual Kung Fu':

Mandarin was the intended language - and it also syncs with the video of the version Fortune Star selected for adding to their Digitally Remastered library (namely the one differing scene about how Yi Lang is made unconscious). However, this soundtrack hasn't been on any DVDs sub-licensed by them.

There's no English subtitles for such releases sub-licensed from Fortune Star, but Metropolitan's DVD (from the Digitally Remastered range) has Cantonese mono (I don't know if it's genuine) - as does the Non-Digitally Remastered DVD from Splendid. HKL (UK), Spectrum (Korea) and Universal (Japan) only have the horrible remixes, but HKL could be the first release to include an uncut English dub.

I have the following DVDs: Columbia, Winners Video, Eastern Heroes, Ocean Shores, Spectrum (DVD-5 copy). Also have a US VHS, but despite the Art Seasons Entertainment artwork, I suspect the VHS itself is not. I had rented HKL's DVD.

The Japanese releases of these movies all contain remixes.

I had also contributed info to IMDB and Wikipedia.

I would recommend going to Asian DVD Guide and find out more.

The Japanese DVD's I have are DVD 9, but I did review my Snake and Crane and Sadly Chen Lung is right the sound although beter than HKL has been re mixed there are som stupid enhanced Pecking noises, prehaps someone should do a restoration job using ocean shores vcds for mandarin source,

I'm thnking of doing wooden men. also Drunken master needs to be done properly only the HK Laser disc has the full Cantonese Audio , or has a prper DVD turned up yet?

I think the French dvd has the full Cantonese track but no subtitles.

If you go to Asiandvdguide.com then click on say hong kong, then click on title, then a film , the page is blank, i have tried it on firefox and internet explorer?

The 2009 French DVD may have Mandarin mono for 'Snake And Crane'.

Despite being labelled uncut everywhere, Ocean Shores' 'Spiritual Kung Fu' was missing minutes.

The Boxset edition of 'Drunken Master' has the full Cantonese soundtrack.

Check OFDB for versions.

Try the link in my first post (to the forum, not the website).

sifu iron perm

I remember whemn spiritual kung fu was sold here in the UK as Karate Ghostbusters, with the no-ghost sign placed on jackie.

For how many of Jackie's Lo Wei productions does the original chinese trailer exist today?

I think they're all on the Universal (Japan) DVDs of these movies, but it depends on each one whether it's Cantonese or Mandarin.

A few posts at Asian DVD Guide have been added since.

Archived