Something I just noticed about my single disc Universe Ip Man DVD

make believe

make believe

I can't believe I never noticed this about my Universe Ip Man dvd. I have the single disc Ip Man with the slipcase. I just noticed recently that the artwork for the dvd case itself is for the 2 disc edition. The slip case artwork is for the one disc edition. I've always glared over the back of the slip case and not the dvd case - until recently. I doubt it's a bootleg so maybe it's a factory slip up. Not sure why it bothers me but it does, a little.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Another odd goof from a DVD company! We all have our "war stories" about these. When I got the single disc version of Dragon Dynasty's Fist of Legend, it had a promo sticker on that was meant for the two disc set!:tongue: (P.S. - I did eventually get the deluxe set.) Extra discs (if it's a box set), the wrong disc...it never ends! Enjoy your special copy!:wink:

BlurayStation3
Another odd goof from a DVD company! We all have our "war stories" about these. When I got the single disc version of Dragon Dynasty's Fist of Legend, it had a promo sticker on that was meant for the two disc set!:tongue: (P.S. - I did eventually get the deluxe set.) Extra discs (if it's a box set), the wrong disc...it never ends! Enjoy your special copy!:wink:

I don't think Dragon Dynasty ever made a single-disc version of Fist of Legend...

Son Of A Gun
I can't believe I never noticed this about my Universe Ip Man dvd. I have the single disc Ip Man with the slipcase. I just noticed recently that the artwork for the dvd case itself is for the 2 disc edition. The slip case artwork is for the one disc edition. I've always glared over the back of the slip case and not the dvd case - until recently. I doubt it's a bootleg so maybe it's a factory slip up. Not sure why it bothers me but it does, a little.

I think you have a bootleg version there. I bought a Universe bootleg of Ip Man from Ebay ages ago and it said on the back sleeve that there were a bunch of bonus features on the disc. The dvd menu even had a bonus features section, but when I clicked on it there were no features to be found.

I guessed they had used a dvd5 instead of dvd9. I told the seller and he said "I never mentioned Bonus Features being on the disc in my ebay listing". So I said, well clearly you are selling Bootlegs then because the Universe cover and menus say there are Bonus features. He said "I assure you it is not a bootleg". :wink: What a nob.

I said "I assure you it is a bootleg" 'lol

So he sent me a replacment after I actually had to pay to send the first copy back. :smile:

And the replacement had a Blue Ray cover this time(photocopied)! And this time there was one Bonus feature added to the disc, but still missing the other 4 or 5 features like deleted scenes etc...

lillippa328

on one of my Universe DVD's i was trying to find the special features...it said it had making of....turned out it did, but it was hidden after the movie...after the credits passed...had 2 skip to the end and FF

Fang Shih-yu
I don't think Dragon Dynasty ever made a single-disc version of Fist of Legend...
I got mine at Walmart when DD first put it out.... More recently, I found a single-disc version of Seven Swords there.:angel:

BlurayStation3

This is what my HK Ip Man dvd's look like...

Legit 1-disc edition (left), legit 2-disc edition (middle), bootleg 2-disc edition (right):

95410683.jpg

85297991.jpg

Legit 1-disc edition (left), legit 2-disc edition (right), bootleg 2-disc edition (bottom):

59405288.jpg

58274486.jpg

I got the bootleg from Ebay and the seller didn't even know it was a bootleg. He used a stock image of the legit 2-disc edition. I would just steer clear of Ebay and get them from Yesasia. There are so many bootlegs of Ip Man 2 on Ebay that it's ridiculous.

Yeah the film was available for high quality blu ray download 2 weeks into it's theatrical release. Chinese bootleggers have had a field day with this one.

make believe
I think you have a bootleg version there. I bought a Universe bootleg of Ip Man from Ebay ages ago and it said on the back sleeve that there were a bunch of bonus features on the disc. The dvd menu even had a bonus features section, but when I clicked on it there were no features to be found.

I guessed they had used a dvd5 instead of dvd9.

I picked mine up in Chinatown, a place where bootlegs of any kind are just not sold. Mine does have all the special features that are listed for the first disc. It is also a dvd-9. Plus I don't see very many bootlegs with nice slip covers. I'll try and see if I can post pics. That sucks about your story. So you were never able to resolve the matter on your end with this shady character selling you bootlegs?

make believe

Ok here are some pics. Sorry about the crummy quality but they're taken with a not so fancy cellphone.

Pic 1 - front of slip case

Pic 2 - inside of slip case

Pic 3 - back of slipcase

pic 4 - front of dvd case

pic 5 - back of dvd case

pic 6 - pic of disc.(obviously!)

You'll notice the back of the slipcase (3rd pic) just states it's a one disc version but the back of the dvd case (5th pic) says it is a 2 disc version.

post-1041-144191888178_thumb.jpg

post-1041-144191888182_thumb.jpg

post-1041-144191888186_thumb.jpg

post-1041-14419188819_thumb.jpg

post-1041-144191888193_thumb.jpg

post-1041-144191888199_thumb.jpg

BlurayStation3

That's an obvious bootleg.

Notice how:

-The slipcase seems to slip off from the top/bottom (genuine ones slip off from the right side)

-The slipcase has a page that opens up and has redundant info from the back (genuine ones don't). I have a bootleg of Tower of Death that also has this kind of slipcover.

-The slipcase's lettering are in white (genuine ones are in gold)

-The dvd case is black (genuine ones are clear and have art on the inside)

-The slipcase claims it's a 1-disc version while the dvd case claims it's a 2-disc version

-The disc art is wrong and the print quality looks to be poor

-The disc claims it's region-3, but it's probably region-free right?

Notice how:

-The slipcase seems to slip off from the top/bottom (genuine ones slip off from the right side)

-The slipcase has a page that opens up and has redundant info from the back (genuine ones don't). I have a bootleg of Tower of Death that also has this kind of slipcover.

-The slipcase claims it's a 1-disc version while the dvd case claims it's a 2-disc version

Put the DVD in your PC. Check the Size of the DVD-drive. Right Click -> Properties -> How Big is it?

make believe

Notice how:

Thanks for making me feel incredibly stupid! I've watched the movie a few times and never really inspected the disc that is until recently when I started this thread (that was when I noticed the back of the dvd case mislabeled as being the 2 disc edition). I never noticed until now that the disc itself is labeled region 3 but it is in fact all regions. Again I never suspected this might be a bootleg until I recently noticed that error on the back of the dvd case. The disc art doesn't look as poor as the picture would have you think. Bootlegs sure have come a long way because the packaging for the most part is pretty well done

Now I'm paranoid to buy from that store again. I don't mind bootlegs when it's the only option but in this case it sucks.

Archived