Original Credit Sequences

chen lung

As featured on a Japanese VHS release, '36th Chamber Of Shaolin's original Chinese credits - Celestial re-did theirs in yellow.

Because the Shaws were generally exported (with their own credit sequences), you don't really see the Chinese ones. However, despite Celestial's usual policy, a rare case in which they may have been preserved is 'Two Champions Of Shaolin' - also featuring on the German version with a super-imposed title. Note the colours are drastically different on both. Of course, the US re-title was 'Two Champions Of Death' (unlikely to have been an export title?).

Anyone know of other Chinese credit sequences which weren't re-generated, or can be found on export/localised (i.e. the Japanese) versions?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woah, a Shaw dubbed in Japanese? That's really cool, I want to see more of that sort of thing.

It's weird that the Celestial credits are in a different color. I wonder why they did that.

Bronx Rican

They did it because they could: sometimes, people with professional gear and the latest technologies just can't help themselves, sorta like what Lucas did to the Star Wars films. Sometimes, it's egregious: 3D transitions, blurry fade-ins and gleaming characters? Looks a bit ridiculous on a film supposedly from the 70's.

I think the opening credits for The Master might be the originals since they have gate weave, which wouldn't be there if Celestial had made new ones.

mantis FIST
I think the opening credits for The Master might be the originals since they have gate weave, which wouldn't be there if Celestial had made new ones.

By gate weave, do you mean ringing on the text?

I doubt it.

Also, on the Media Blasters DVD, a credit-less version was among the extras.

Fang Shih-yu

We're lucky to have those Shaws where the remastered films are all original, from the beginning to the end! The movies with reworked opening titles (pristine title footage with credits done in new fonts...why not use the original fonts anew?) are manageable, compared to the ones where the original music is replaced with other music. The moment The Boxer Rebellion began with that synthesized stuff, I was afraid the film was gonna be all like that!:cry: Luckily, this did not occur!:bigsmile:

Stuntman Jules

That clip is interesting, I love the English Shaolin song over the credits. Was this just in the Japanese version or what?

The fact that Celestial computer traced the subs in color is one of the most annoying aspects of the overwrought remastering process. Some of the credits were left as was, though, but most got computerized and it looks awful in a bunch of 60s-80s films. Maybe if they hadn't spent all that time and money coloring in the credits like that we could have gotten the rest of the library released.

Archived