Re-Animator / cut scenes?

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I'm watching the Millenium Edition of Elite Entertainment's DVD release of Re-Animator and I can't believe they've cut Dr. Hill's hypnotizing of Dean Halsey. It completely f*cked up the whole flow of the storyline in the begining of the film. Yet the rest of the gore and nudity has been restored, WTF!???

Where is a version of an actually COMPLETELY uncut version of this film?

I'm so disappointed. On the eve (almost) of Lovecraft's birthday. What a shame to have to be subject to this unnecessary butchery.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so disgusted right now. The Anchor Bay version of Re-Animator has cut scenes out and has included them as extended scenes on the extras disc. WTFFF!!! That scene I'd mentioned above others that I totally missed since veiwing a closest to completely uncut VHS version leave these two DVD special edition, directors uncut versions with the storyline feeling choppy and rushed through. What a very sore disappointment. Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future SOMEBODY will release this film completely restored.

By the way From Beyond "unrated director's cut" ya sure... (like that's necessarily a GOOD thing) is set for release 9/18/07 It's already on pre-order. Fingers crossed.

Guest Dion Brother

Nothing is cut. The Anchor Bay version is the theatrical version. Those deleted scenes were reinserted into syndicated tv prints to pad out the running time because of the minutes trimmed for gore. They were never included in any other version. The DVD is what Stuart Gordon wanted you to see.

The DVD is what Stuart Gordon wanted you to see.

Then he f*cked up bad if that actually is the case. Though i wouldn't put money on it.

Guest Dion Brother

You may have a fan composite from earlier laserdisc or dvd releases or an alternative R-rated cut that went to Blockbuster in the 80s.

Guest bruce holecheck

The "R"-rated Vestron tape *did* contain the deleted sequences edited back into the film, as did television prints, but were missing gore and nudity that their "Unrated" edition had intact. The Unrated version is the one that the director prefers and was the version he turned in to be released. The other versions were made without his consent to satisfy alternate markets.

-- bruce holecheck

bruce that's true, it does have some of the gore and nudity cut out, but I must say that to leave out the scene of Dr. Hill hypnotizing Dean Halsey (mis-spelt?) completely took away from when the Dean reprimanded Dan so sternly. Also, it was a severe injustice to David Gale's performance. He was so creepy about his role it was great seeing an actor go balls out in their role like that, it reminds me of the old school Bela/Boris flicks. Hopefully someday somebody will put together both versions in one film.

Guest drunkenmantis13

At least is the newer Anchor Bay release the same as Elite's Millenium? I'll be buying the AB dvd soon and was used the the one from Millenium so i wouldn't enjoy having something missing...

drunkenmantis, I don't think there's any difference from what I recall. Though the Anchor's a safe bet because of the extras. You at least get the whole film in that respect. Millenium may be the same in this respect, I just don't recall right now.

Archived