Miyamoto Mushashi

daisho2004

Miyamoto Mushashi: I really haven't heard all that much about this series that was released by AnimEigo and I just want to know if it is worth picking up.

An epic 5-film series that chronicles the life of Japan's most famous swordsman, Miyamoto Mushashi, founder of the Niten-ryu school of swordsmanship, and author of The Book of Five Rings, the world-famous book on strategy, tactics and philosophy. Set against the backdrop of Japan’s tumultuous warring-states period, this five-film saga chronicles the rise of Miyamoto Musashi as he evolves from untamed warrior to become Japan’s most famous swordsman.

Regarded in Japan as the best and most in-depth film adaptation of Musashi’s story ever made.

musashicover.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you ask me, NO its not worth at all. :wink:

The best movies ever i'v seen of Myamoto is Samurai I II and III with Toshiro Mifune?

But offcourse taste is something very difficult.

I'v seen a little of this serie after i'v seen the samurai triology and after a while I turn my tv OFF.

samurai-i.jpg

Miyamoto Mushashi: I really haven't heard all that much about this series that was released by AnimEigo and I just want to know if it is worth picking up.

An epic 5-film series that chronicles the life of Japan's most famous swordsman, Miyamoto Mushashi, founder of the Niten-ryu school of swordsmanship, and author of The Book of Five Rings, the world-famous book on strategy, tactics and philosophy. Set against the backdrop of Japan’s tumultuous warring-states period, this five-film saga chronicles the rise of Miyamoto Musashi as he evolves from untamed warrior to become Japan’s most famous swordsman.

Regarded in Japan as the best and most in-depth film adaptation of Musashi’s story ever made.

musashicover.jpg

gonzotheking

The person above me is crazy. It is absolutely worth it and these films are way better than the inagaki ones. Plus these are the first films released in the US directed by japanese master Tomu Uchida who is virtually unknown in the west.

GET THESE FILMS!!

The person above me is crazy. It is absolutely worth it and these films are way better than the inagaki ones. Plus these are the first films released in the US directed by japanese master Tomu Uchida who is virtually unknown in the west.

GET THESE FILMS!!

Thanks to say that i'm crazy. :angel:

But like I told this depent on taste no?

Anyway, look into the mirror once before you say such things!

gonzotheking
Thanks to say that i'm crazy. :angel:

But like I told this depent on taste no?

Anyway, look into the mirror once before you say such things!

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a serious attack on you. i was merely a using hyperbole to illustrate my point. Obviously personal taste is a huge factor and I was simply stating an opposing viewpoint.

Apologies,

Gonz

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a serious attack on you. i was merely a using hyperbole to illustrate my point. Obviously personal taste is a huge factor and I was simply stating an opposing viewpoint.

Apologies,

Gonz

hehehe no problem mate, no need to apologies.

Maybe I schould rewatch it!

The 5 UCHIDA films are definitely good and worth it, but I'm with hanak in that I definitely prefer the 3 INAGAKI films. :cool:

While on the subject, I definitely recommend the book written by Eiji Yoshikawa. I have a set of 5 books, but there is also a single volume. Not sure if one is abridged and the others not, but here are the covers. As far as I know the paperbacks are OOP, but can be picked up on the cheap used.

musashi1.jpgmusashi2.jpgmusashi3.jpgmusashi4.jpgmusashi5.jpg

and the single volume -

musashi.jpg

I guess I'm going to have to pick up this series now! I like when we have 2 sides with different tastes, it makes it more interesting to give my own opinion when I done watching it.

I love pretty much any samurai film from this era, so I can't imagine that I won't love these. I ordered today, and it's now $44.99 w/free shipping from Amazon---pretty good deal for a high quality dvd set of 5 two hour movies.

If you love Mushashi tale as much as I do, I recommend pick up the ongoing manga Vagabond, a good read. It is drawn, and scripted by Takehiko Inoue - the same guy that did Slam Dunk. The art is unique. Inoue sensei intends to wrap up the series by the end of 2010. It is licensed by Viz media for distribution in America.

41To3I-XFOL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

bamboo spear

Jeez that Musashi hardcover really takes me back! I bought it in the early 90's, back before the intertubz, and the only place I could find it was at Victor's Martial Arts Supply here in Houston. I was in highschool and had to save up a while to drop almost 50 bucks on it! Then I had to save up more, to buy the Toshiro Mifune's Musashi Trilogy on VHS down at Cactus Music, which was 75 bucks.

Man, it sucked back then. Thank God for Ebay, Amazon, DVD and bootlegs.

Man, it sucked back then. Thank God for Ebay, Amazon, DVD and bootlegs.

bamboo spear: Amen to that Brother!

bamboo spear

lol yeah, whenever my friends start getting all dreamy-eyed about how great the 80's and early 90's were, I remind them about how hard it was to get their favorite VHS imports, hard to find comics, sold-out toys, bootleg import music from ghetto places in the heart of downtown, and having to special order out of print books and novels from places that charged up the yin-ying for a book that is now 4.99 on Ebay.

i watch this ninja 2010. is one of the Japanese cult?

zabreeds: Don't really understand your question? Are you asking if it is a cult movie? And which Ninja movie are you referring to?

According to its website, AnimEigo is having a sale on its box set samurai films going on NOW.

http://www.animeigo.com/other/special-sale-items

Shinobi no Mono dvd box set 1 for $35. Shogun Assassin dvd box set for $50. Sleepy Eyes of Death dvd box set 1 for $40. Is someone foolish enough to argue that the Miyamoto Musashi 5-film dvd set is not worth getting at only $10 per movie?

This sale can end at any time. AnimEigo does not have sales events very often.

I just watched the first movie out of 5. Almost no swordplay action in it---which kind of makes sense, since he hasn't become a swordsman yet! Still, I'm very impressed, and they're really creating a complex, passionate character with a great backstory. Nicely filmed, nice music----I have a feeling this is really going to come together in the upcoming movies.

Archived