celestial releases

lickinblood

lickinblood

ok,i was away pretty long from the forum and lost track of shaw brother releases

are there any news of new releases?the last thing i knew was that the releases stopped in the beginning of 2009

are some of the unrealesed titles available? like the killer etc?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

Markgway has an updated list of Celestial Shaw reissues as a Sticky on the "Shaw Brothers" page of the forums, updated through 2009.

lickinblood

ah ok,thank you

some special recommendings wich came out through 2009?

chang cheh movies etc?

Fang Shih-yu
some special recommendings wich came out through 2009?

chang cheh movies etc?

Generally speaking, while many IVL releases are [currently] easily gotten, some are less so, and others have gone "out-of-print"! You'll definitely need to check around more than a few sites to figure out what's more easily attainable than others! (For instance, I almost thought Chang Cheh's Na Cha the Great was a goner; persistant searching did eventually show that copies are still about, and I got one via Play-Asia.com, which had a copy ready to ship within 24 hours!:angel:) Plenty of Cheh movies are available, yet, and in some cases where an IVL version of a DVD is o.o.p., some "Region 1" versions from the U.S. are available. Image has The Magnificent Trio and Heaven and Hell: two from Cheh that are o.o.p. as IVL DVDs. Due to the transfer process used, the Image DVDs of Shaw movies are not quite as nice as the best IVLs, but they are more than watchable! Three Cheh movies have already been mentioned; among other ones worth looking for are these IVLs: The Assassin, Shaolin Martial Arts, Friends, Crippled Avengers, Young People, 7 Man Army, and Disciples of Shaolin. Some are not all about martial arts, as those who have seen Young People or Friends will attest!:tongue: Overall, as Chang Cheh films go, if you're interested in the director, try to sample anything he did; even his "flops":cry: are as fascinating as his "hits":bigsmile:!

lickinblood

i already own like 150 titles.ín the forums most times only the well known movies are mentioned,like chang cheh movies.

many of the lesser known movies like battle wizard,golden lion where totally awesome but nobody mentioned it unless you asked for it.thats why i am asking if something interesting came out wich you could easily miss ;)

Fang Shih-yu

It took a little while for director Sun Chung to work up to the quality of classics like The Avenging Eagle or Human Lanterns, so you may want to check his films out for his evolving style through a few different genres. If you already have the previously-mentioned two, earlier ones like The Bloody Escape (martial arts action and exploitation with Chen Kuan-tai) and The Sexy Killer (exploitation and action with the lovely Chen Ping) are two good ones. (Chang Cheh is said to have given some assistance to Chung on TBE.) Two fine later movies are The Deadly Breaking Sword (martial arts with Fu Sheng and Ti Lung) and The Kung Fu Instructor (martial arts with Ti Lung, and the first reported use of a "steadicam" in a HK movie). I've only begun to get into Sun Chung, myself, but I've gotten something out of all the ones I've seen so far! I'm certainly seeking out more when the fiances allow!:bigsmile:

Archived