Huang Cheng Lee Fight Scene

David Rees

This is a scene done for the opening of his instructional video The Art Of High Impact Kicking done early 80's, for those who have not seen it, it just shows the amazing kicking range he had.

m33n9yKkHU8

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I love this instructional movie! There are parts where the narrator will say something like "First, the leg is cocked into the ready position..." which Hwang does. But then while the narrator describes the details, the entire time Hwang just stands there, holding in that position, never wavering, nor looking the slightest bit uncomfortable or like he may lose his balance or anything! And when the narrator finally says "... and the extension of the kick continues into this position..." Hwang finishes the kick with utmost precision. A lot of the time, instead of showing slow motion playbacks, Hwang just does the kicks at very slow, super controlled speed, pivoting, arching, extending, all with perfection. He really is a master! :bigsmile:

There was a series done, one on Taekwondo kicking, and others on Wing Chun, Hung Gar and Tai Chi. Good for the time. Heres the Wing Chun opening....This has Lee Hoi Sang doing the style he studied which you dont see him do much in the movies....

RtoGl7T0uQw

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
There was a series done, one on Taekwondo kicking, and others on Wing Chun, Hung Gar and Tai Chi. Good for the time. Heres the Wing Chun opening....This has Lee Hoi Sang doing the style he studied which you dont see him do much in the movies....

RtoGl7T0uQw

Hey David- yeah, I have the Wing Chun one too. And maybe the Tai Chi one. They are a bit quaint in the presentation, but I like them. And IMHO the HJL one stands head and shoulders above the others.

Yeah i had them all on VHS but sold them ages ago...i got the Wing Chun one because it was the style that i trained in at that time, i knew i could never kick like master Lee but as you say he was great to watch.

The Art of High Impact Kicking is definitely a classic. When I got the film from a trade with an old friend from California, back when I was running my own martial arts website, I named the site High Impact after this very movie. I still watch it on occasion just for the opening plus if I get in the mood to kick, I do the warm ups Hwang does before showing the various kicks. LOL :D

Archived