3:10 To Yuma

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just saw this yesterday. Best western since Unforgiven? I doubt it. This film has absolutely NO character development (or character for that matter) at all. Unbelievably stupid movie. I should've known better. Though I must say my friend and I had a great deal of fun raggin on it, much to the annoyance of fellow movie goers. :b

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Daisho2004

I saw the preview of it, and to me it didn't look like it was going to be all that, so I guess I'll have to see it on DVD then. There hasn't really been a good Western made in a long time.

Guest Dion Brother

Disagree completely. The best western since THE LONG RIDERS. If you don't see this for yourself and you enjoy westerns, you are really cheating yourself. And the characterization is a helluva alot deeper than the "See the west was really a buncha cowards" guilt-ridden nonsense of THE UNFORGIVEN. It also isn't slow-moving like the overrated UNFORGIVEN.

Guest The Running Man

Wow, someone else who didn't like Unforgiven either. That movie keeps getting mentioned as one of the best movies of the 90s and of all time and have only been mystified as to what everyone was raving about.

This 3:10 to Yuma is a good film. Don't think it was fantastic as I have some problems with it but it was definitely better than the heavily over rated Unforgiven. Ending really could have used some better build up between the two protagonists beforehand since the switch that one of the characters makes is really not that convincing as well as most of what he does afterwards. Also, for a western this was shot way too up close and never really gave a sense of atmosphere. However, the acting was awesome all around. Everyone from Christian Bale, Russel Crowe, Peter Fonda, to a very surprisingly effective Ben Foster.

Guest Daisho2004

OK so maybe I have to see it in the movies now. And BTW I hated Unforgiven I thought it just sucked until the end, very slow moving and I agree I don't know why it was received as one of the best Westerns ever in my opinion far from it.

Guest froffeecoffee

Saw 3:10 to Yuma twice already. Thought it was pretty good due to Bale and Crowe's performances. Other great performances that helped were Fonda, Forster, and Logan Lerman, who plays Bale's son. Overall a great time at the movies. I think best western since, The Proposition is more like it.

I thought Unforgiven was great. Liked the different perspective of what was probably a more realistic protrayal of character. Some sections could have done without, like the English Bob sub-plot.

The Long Riders is a great movie and blows 3:10 To Yuma away. I wonder how the original release of 3:10 To Yuma is? I think I'll look it up.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Havent seen it yet but my little brother said it was very good.

Though I must say my friend and I had a great deal of fun raggin on it, much to the annoyance of fellow movie goers.

Classy....:rolleyes

GwailMoFo, wait till you see it. I'd be interested in what you think of it.

PS. we weren't all that obnoxious, but I just couldn't stand the unjustified pretentious, all face, completely random-go nowhere/explain nothing dialogue, ridiculously undeveloped twists in the burrowed plot from the original film, and last of all Peter Fonda's character would never have survived his wound ten min. into the film as well as Russell Crowe turning on his whole gang after they'd just spent a week or so through hell tailing their leader (crowe) to save his ass. There was absolutely no character development (connection) between Crowe and Bale to warrant such a drastic move. The film is actually painful to sit through and the only reason I didn't walk out is because I wanted to be quit sure the ENTIRE film sucked before leaving, since I love westerns, and I was hoping there would be some scenes that would redeem this film at least in part. I was sorely disappointed and wasted my money and time being there. :\

Guest Dion Brother

The ending twist is solidly built up throughout the film. It just isn't spelled out for you. And Fonda's quick recovery wasn't that far fetched. Read the story of the murder of Rasputin and what they had to do to kill that bastard. Real life is often crazier than anything portrayed in movies where bad guys die after one bullet.

OK I finally go to see this movie last night and I thought it was a very good Western, good storyline the Action was OK it came in spurts. The only thing that was a little stupid was the ending Russell Crowe's character could've gotten away anytime he wanted to but he choose to stay with Christian Bale. Maybe it was his own soul telling him he had enough or his feel for Bale's longing to prove his worth either way it was a good movie and definitely worth a look.

And just for the Record it was way better than Unforgiven which I thought sucked!

kungfusamurai

I thought it was an enjoyable film, and quite entertaining, but I completely forgot I had seen it until I saw the ads for the DVD release. So it wasn't memorable.

KFS

Morgoth Bauglir

I just watched the last hour and 15 minutes and it was really good. I'm not too sure how I felt about the ending but overall it was a good movie.

Archived