Magnificent Butcher question???

TibetanWhiteCrane

TibetanWhiteCrane

Here is my problem, I always thought that Magnificent Butcher was from 1980, seen in the context of Yuen Siu Tin's death, who was initially cast as the beggar, but died a week or so into production. And everywhere you look, he is listed as having died in 1980. But then why does both HKMDB and HKFA have the theatrical release date for Magnificent Butcher listed as 12/19/1979:ooh:

If the film was shot, wrapped and in the can for a December release in 1979, and Yuen Siu Tin died in the first week of production, then he couldn't really have died in 1980. Or those release dates are wrong. Which one is it:ooh::ooh:

Color me confused:sad: Can ANYONE shed some light on this??

post-262-144191888167_thumb.jpg

post-262-144191888168_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe he was to ill to do the part, or other reasons. but he was in Buddhist fist which came out 6 months after Butcher

butcher was finished in 79 old man yuen died in 1980

Guest Markgway

Presumably Yuen Sr. was just too ill to do Magnificent Butcher, even though he started working on it, and didn't actually die until early 1980. Buddhist Fist was probably filmed just before Butcher (it's not uncommon for films to be released in a different order than they were shot). No wonder he was sick though. Poor guy was practically worked to death (mostly by his own family). He made about 20 movies in the last two years of his life. Hard going for anyone never mind a man in his late 60s.

TibetanWhiteCrane

The story I have always heard or read, from various sources, is that he died a week into shooting on MB. And if he was too ill, then why did he start working on BF??

Im not saying you're not right, but it just puzzles me!

TibetanWhiteCrane

I was responding to shapes there. Yes, mark, I have toyed with your theory too. but im still confused.

That picture with Yuen Woo Ping and his dad at the top - I have it in Golden movie news from Jan 1980 it says under the picture that " Yuen Siu tien was originally to co star in the film but had to pull out due to illness" no mention of death. I think they filmed Buddhist fist after Butcher since prior to Mag Butcher Yuen just completed Dance of the Drunken mantis, also the fighting Chreography seems more advanced in B fist.

Yuen Siu Tien's role in B fist was only a few shots of him lying down. he did not fight really, (He also looked really beloted) but the role in Butcher was quite a big role. so maybe he did not have the energy to do it. prehaps he did that small cameo in B fist as a last gift favor to his son as this was the first film Yuen Woo Ping produced.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I had always heard he died during the filming of the movie.

Can you imagine if he had been a little younger and done the role? The movie could have been even better! Though, I do like Fan Mei-Sheng in the movie, he makes up for his lack of kung fu with good comedy. Who else gets a chicken drunk on screen?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks a lot for clearing that up, shapes! So I guess the final conclusion would be that MB is from '79, Yuen Siu Tin did not die during production, and actually died in '80. Thanks. Those were the three things I couldn't get to match. It's just weird that the story of him dying a week into shooting for MB is so persistent everywhere.

Archived