Beatdown (2010)

AlbertV

TAPOUT's latest MMA feature, after the much improved CIRCLE OF PAIN, is coming out on DVD from Lionsgate on August 31. I think after the Hector Echavarria bombs, CIRCLE OF PAIN was a welcome improvement over those films and they are doing it again with BEATDOWN.

The director is stunt veteran Mike Gunther, whose stunt work includes many of the big A-list Hollywood films from LIVE FREE AND DIE HARD to working as main stunt coordinator on the upcoming FAST FIVE (The Fast and Furious 5).

The film stars Rudy Youngblood, Eric Balfour, Danny Trejo, and MMA fighters Michael Bisping (in his film debut), Heath Herring, Michael Swick, and Bobby Lashley. Don Lee serves as stunt coordinator with Marcus Young serving as fight coordinator.

Plot: (from VideoETA)

Brandon, a respected street fighter, is forced to flee the city after his brother is murdered and the money that was supposed to be paid back to a local gangster is stolen. While lying low at his father’s house in a small Southern town, Brandon soon gets involved in the local underground cage-fighting circuit. With the help of Drake Colby, a former MMA champion, Brandon devises a scheme to bring a massive payday, if they are able to survive.

The DVD cover looks to be a little improved over TAPOUT's previous titles, because they include actors Rudy Youngblood and Danny Trejo rather than just the usual MMA fighters, yet Lashley and Bisping appear on the cover.

5165iIhoBEL._SS500_.jpg

bfl58LzsAXo

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the trailer, it looks like it may be on the level of CIRCLE OF PAIN and its quite refreshing to see the likes of Rudy Youngblood and Eric Balfour playing the rivals this time out. It will be quite interesting seeing MMA champ Michael Bisping playing the mentor in his film debut. I'm guessing his fight againt Bobby Lashley will be more of a flashback like sequence.

Once I see the film, I'll review it right here.

I like MMA and I like fight movies, but all MMA fight movies look awful.

I will agree to a certain point. While the Hector Echavarria-starred MMA films pretty much stunk, CIRCLE OF PAIN was a big improvement because they got a better fight choreographer who knows how to shoot a fight and they toned down most of the softcore crap that made the Echavarria films practically crap.

NEVER BACK DOWN was decently made and the stunt team behind them knew how to execute the right stuff for the most part. It will be interesting to see who is choreographing BEATDOWN and see if they know their stuff as well.

Archived