Anyone Else Not Particularly Impressed With The Yip Man Movies?

Bruce

I just watched the first film yesterday, I got it from the local library belive it or not and I really liked it. I might be biased because I am a huge Donnie yen fan but also the wire use did not bother me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't hold out much hope for the Wong Kar Wai film. Ip Man's life wasn't really that interesting compared to guys like Sum Nung. But aside from that if there is any action at all I'm sure that WKW will do his usual artsy shtick and make the action unwatchable.

Guest ekisha
I don't hold out much hope for the Wong Kar Wai film. Ip Man's life wasn't really that interesting compared to guys like Sum Nung. But aside from that if there is any action at all I'm sure that WKW will do his usual artsy shtick and make the action unwatchable.

Well said. And don't forget Tony Leung is not a martial artist.

Chinatown Kid

I really liked the first Ip Man movie, the fighting was crisp and brutal, especially when Yen fights the Karate stylists. Got the sequel on the way in the mail but from some of the comments I've read in this thread I'm afraid it might be somewhat of a letdown. :sad:

Heywood Jahitme

I thought both Ip Man films were good, the first more so than the sequel since it avoided turning into a cartoon. Even Young Ip Man The Legend is Born is decent, thanks mainly to Fan Siu Wong. Having said that, none of them are classics. They are fine by today's standards, but do not herald a return to the glory days of 20th Century KF cinema.

Hey all.

While I spent too much on the Ip Man 1 & 2 blu-rays when they came out, via Yes-Asia, I wanted to purchase the first one for a friend, as a gift.

I got him the extended U.S. version on Blu-ray, SHIPPED, for a total of $18 at Borders.com

If you're interested in the extended BD, here are the links:

Ip Man Blu-Ray

It is $25.99 on pre-order. Once you get to checkout, type in the following code:

BUJ8050C

This takes 40% of the total.

Shipping is $2 something, bringing the total to $18 and change.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it, but knew that it would not be what I "hoped it could be". My biggest issue with part 1 is that I felt the script was over-done. In my mind, anyone buying this movie would have at least a working knowledge of the man. I felt a little patronized at times, but I may be just a little overzealous on that one.

Part 2...eh. Not a bad movie at all. Even enjoyable at times. It just wasn't all that I had hoped for. The script a slight bit better, IMO, but only because it was a sequel. The action sequences were a little off, for my money.

All in all, though, I'm glad I own them. I did not go in to either them thinking they would be great Fu flicks...though I secretly hoped they would be.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. We may not agree, but if he prefers modern movies, he shouldn't be frowned upon for it.

I didn't frown... as you can tell from my smilies, I cried in disbelief, and then chose to say nothing:angel:

And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how moronic, retarded and ignorant they may be:xd:

So, if I start a thread for people who love the Yip Man flicks will it just be haters explaining why it blows?:ooh:

What I did not like(spoilers): the hyper-contrast going on in the first. It totally abused my retinas. It's been a good decade of the ultra-real perfectionism bullshit in movies and now HK is in on it; not good news for me. I'm also kind of tired of the WWII stuff in general; Ip Man had a large obstacle in doing anything that the bajillion movies and related media haven't covered already; big suprise - it didn't. It was like cut and paste Ip Man into generic WWII story. It's not even ridiculou enough to be entertaining, it's just exhausting. Part two is also tedious, except this time in that it goes back to what every bleeding period kung fu flick has done before and done better. I felt like my eyes were going to self-roll at just about every plot point in the story. The action was also very pedestrian and suffered ostensibly because I didn't care about anyone but Sammo Hung, who like some kind of drama planet pulls us in with his gravity regardless of anything else. And then he goes out like such a weenie! "Oh yeah uh, love my family and everything but I can't bear to swallow my pride so I guess I'll just kamikaze this bullshit". Shoot, is it even that when your adversary remains relatively unscathed? Apalling usage of Sammo Hung in a movie.

Of course, there were bits and pieces that didn't send me into a boredom coma. I liked some of the brutality to the fights in the first film (I guess it's okay to send the Japanese dipshit on his face in a stairwell but Chinese dipshits are still cool even when they amass in a mob and try to slice you to ribbons). Donnie Yen delivers a likeable performance and there are some moments of clarity in that first film that I appreciated; in fact, many members of the supporting cast were pleasant. I particularly like the Mandarin bumpkin, rocking that accent - Chinese Pirates of the Carribean I thought of it first!

Anyway, Ip Man isn't as good as Rocky, or better Kung Fu flicks, or even 20mins of dim sum. It's a movie with high production values and big names but without the glue to put it all together well. The end result is a film leant the veil of sophistication much in the way many Hollywood ones are. It's a good business decision and a lacking ~4hrs. That's about it.

make believe
Firefox needs a new plug-in that allows you to smack other people in the face...

..for not using spoiler tags...

..for not using spoiler tags...
If you can't be vigilant for the word spoilers in brackets in a thread discussing a film then I'm okay with your pain.

Archived