Wong Fei hung: King of Lion Dance (1957)

panku

Great fight scene with Lau Kar Leung's father Lau Cham and a few other familiar (although much younger!) faces.

nC7m-4vXfTM

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu
i hope they all get released sooner or later!
I thought some of these b&w Wong Fei Hung movies would've seen a legit DVD release by now, but this does not seem to be the case! Is it because they are b&w, and the number of people interested in these may be even smaller than that of those who like Shaws?:ooh: Looking at the clip, the creakiness of it is no turn-off at all! It's a nice slice of Asian film history!:bigsmile: Maybe the rights for these are in a heck of a muddle or something....

most of the original reels are lost,many of them have been aired on Hongkong TV but Im not sure what source they are using.. I have about 40 of them but mostly recorded from TV... at the moment I work with a friend on the subtitles of one of them...make a fan DVD

heres some nice footage of lau jaam..early shapes :)

i just found only 1 of his movies rlsed in HK (on vcd no subs, cantonese)... the others=none.

there are a few VCDs,maybe 3 or 4,but like u said they all have no subtitles...

there are a few VCDs,maybe 3 or 4,but like u said they all have no subtitles...

well i can live w/o subs xP can u provide me the titles ?

at the moment I work with a friend on the subtitles of one of them...make a fan DVD

Excellent! I'll look forward to this, always wanted to see one of the old Wong Fei Hung films with subs.

I seem to recall Bey Logan saying back in the 90s that the old WFH films appeared regularly on HKTV, usually in the middle of the night, for some reason!

The only other clips I've ever seen were on the Media Asia DVDs od Tsui Hark's OUATIC trilogy.

Apart from that - nothing.

Such a shame, as the films are an incredibly important piece of MA film history.

Would love to see one (or more!) of these old classics with subs!

Heres a clip from an earlier film with another great fight scene. Originally posted in March in the reviews section by pakua7. Lots of stuff gets broken. Hong Kong Cinemagic has it listed as "Huang Feihong Goes To A Birthday Party At Guanshan":

Wong Fei-hung’s Lion Dance vs the Golden Dragon (1956)

1sgk2b.jpg

This is from part 2 of the entire movie. Here is the entire film:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

shapes from 1949:xd:

Thanks for posting this and the other early clips. I would also like to see these with subs.

The elbow in the stomach in the most recent clip you posted is the first hint at comedy I've seen in these older film clips. Is that a regular feature?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I seem to recall Bey Logan saying back in the 90s that the old WFH films appeared regularly on HKTV, usually in the middle of the night, for some reason!

The only other clips I've ever seen were on the Media Asia DVDs od Tsui Hark's OUATIC trilogy.

Yeah, that's the only reason I didn't sell off or give away my Media Asia DVDs after I got the HKLs versions. Those few minutes of footage are too cool to let go of.

Would love to see one (or more!) of these old classics with subs!

Frankie was telling me that he and another guy that are both very familiar with Hung Gar, kung fu in general, and the older phrases and manners of speech of the language are doing a really faithful translation for the subtitles. I'm so extremely psyched for this! :bigsmile: No doubt he'll let us know when he's finished it and it's ready.

I have seen about 40 of them and they are not all good..I prefer the earlier ones,thats when they always had gung fu masters there playing some sets or were helping for the fighting scenes...i noticed that the movies starting from the early 60s are more on talking...

Specially the movies which featured Lau Jaam were better,he was in them till the late 50s..I think then he became sick and unfortunately died in 1963...

We are working on the translation for the story of wong fei hung part 1,in this movie they tell a lot about hung gar history,show some nice sets and good fights..interesting for everybody, I guess hung gar people and gung fu movie lovers... :)

P'an ku,those kind of small gags I noticed in almost all of the films....

Fang Shih-yu

Kwan Tak-hing's part as Wong Fei hung in The Magnificent Butcher was spell-binding! The moment that old man touched his toes like he did in his first scene, I said, "I love this guy!":smile: While I await the older Wong film getting subs, I'm definitely getting a copy of The Skyhawk!:bigsmile:

wow, thanks for the footage! Real Hung Kuen in action! You really made my day! Nice to see traditional kung fu in films as opposed to the acrobatic performance enhanced version. Hope to see more!

-P

shapes from 1949:xd:

for those who like to watch the old ones..heres one complete WFH movie from 1970,still in B/W..

many familar faces....:)

Archived