The Myth (2005)

remo

Maybe it's the fact that I went in with very low expectations (being a modern Jackie film), or perhaps it's because I only paid $5 for it at Walmart... but I actually sorta liked this movie. Especially the first half, it had a nice Armor of God vibe -- and the conveyor belt set piece was very inventive, right up there with some of his classics in terms of creativity.

I just wish the fantasy aspects had been toned down, all the levitation and immortality stuff really drag down the second half. I think it could have worked better as a straightforward intertwining of the two tales, with maybe a suggestion in the final scene that Jack was indeed related to the general.

But then again this is Jackie Chan, he's not exactly Mr. Subtle -- so we're treated to modern Jackie flying around inside a hollowed out mountain. On the bright side, it was refreshing to see ancient Jackie make his last stand atop a mounting pile of corpses.

Not a great movie and maybe not even good, but it definitely has some entertainment value. There are worse ways to spend five bucks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Koravec

• Morgoth Bauglir

• remo

• Cognoscente

Top Posters In This Topic

Morgoth Bauglir

I got this awhile ago too at Wal Mart. I never would have gotten it if it wasn't for that super low price. I also had my expectations set very low, and I liked it. Always good to go into a movie with low expectations. Also it was cool to see a villain using Tai Chi. Seems like most of the time only good guys use that style.

Just watched the movie. Definitely reminiscent of newer series concepts of period drama mixed without modern day, as Ive even watched one called Love 020, so I could see the interest in rehashing it into a series. Imo stories that have already been done in film dont have much business being rehashed into drawn out series, but thats a different topic.

It wasnt great. Abides to typical Chan silliness, while parts are relatively psychological serious as period flashback war and live interest may entail, or even as the cover depicts.

Maybe Ive seen too many Chan flicks as it abides to the typical saving of antiques from smugglers or other countries. Sure I get that Jackie has some business saving and (misplacing?) antiques himself, but that same old premise gets tiring and overly predictable after a while.

Fight scenes are more mediocre for Chans filmography, severely lacking creativity or stunts. A chinese made movie, but the action feels more typical of what chan would be doing in american movies at the time, again lacking the creativity that you may of even got from america, however maybe the story concept doesnt call for that. Theres the Jackie in sacred hindu area. Id much prefer the scenes in kung fu yoga for this aspect. 

Uses pretty far out cgi in the end fight where the period scene has everyone floating in an area (cave?) and flying at eachother every once in a while but mostly floating in place. 

• Like 4

Cognoscente
8 hours ago, Koravec said:

Just watched the movie. Definitely reminiscent of newer series concepts of period drama mixed with modern day

It reminds me of the international cut for Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain, and the non-international cut of Dr. Wai in The Scripture with No Words. It makes me wonder how much that Assassin's Creed was influenced by the storytelling style of HK cinema.

• Like 2