PTU questions

lillippa328

lillippa328

Ive been wanting to grab me the DD version of PTU for a while, but I know theres a couple of PTUs out there...

my questions:

how many are there?

Are they good? (pretty sure they are, but ya know)

Whats the order of them? and do I need to watch them in order?Should I?

andd what are the best versions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi,

the original film PTU (2003) was directed by Johnnie To. it was a theatrical release shot on 35mm, and its the one put out by DD. the other five minor films are as follows

Tactical Unit- The Code

Tactical Unit- Human Nature

Tactical Unit- No Way Out

Tactical Unit- Partners

Tactical Unit- Comrades in Arms

I'm not sure of their exact order, but Comrades in Arms was the only one of them to be shot on 35mm and released theatrically. the other 4 were shot on video, and released straight to dvd, although The Code (I think this was the 1st one) got a screening at Udine Far East Film Festival. Law Wing-Cheong, frequent director/assistant director/editor/sometimes actor at Milkyway directed both The Code and Comrades in Arms. Lawrence Lau, director of Spacked Out/Gimme Gimme/My Name is Fame directed both Partners and No Way Out, and Andy Ng directed Human Nature. out of these 5 though, I've only seen Comrades in Arms which is pretty good. of course the original To film is excellent. as for the different versions, all 5 Tactical Unit films are released through Universe in HK. the dvd of Comrades in Arms looks good enough, so I'd guess the other four look about the same. as for the og PTU, I have the Mei Ah HK disc, which looks totally fine. as for their order...I dont know. technically Simon Yam, Maggie Siu, and Lam Suet were playing different characters in PTU than in these other movies. if you havent seen PTU, I'd say watch that first, and then the order of the others probably doesn't matter since it doesn't sound like their stories are connected with each other. hopefully that helps a bit!

i disliked the original movie.. i found it boring as hell

then i watched :

-Tactical Unit- The Code

-Tactical Unit- Comrades in Arms

more a tv-movie like than a cinema's. boring boring and again,boring

Guest ekisha

Human Nature and No Way Out are pretty good. I enjoyed every damn minute of these staright to dvd sequels.

No Way Out, Partners and Comrades in Arms were pretty good as follow-ups. The rest were alright.

Btw, it's more appropriate to post discussions like this in the general cult film section. The PTU movies are police dramas, not martial arts movies.

Archived