Painted Skin 2 - The Resurrection (2012)

According to CRIENGLISH, a sequel to "Painted Skin" has, as of July 8th, started shooting in Dalian City.

I did a search on the forum but if I missed seeing this already posted I apologise

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/07/08/2602s581717.htm

"Painted Skin 2" Starts Shooting In Da Lian

A sequel to director Gordon Chen's romantic fantasy story "Painted Skin" recently started shooting in Dalian city, northeastern China's Liaoning province.

Adopted from Chinese novelist Pu Songling's famous work "Erotic Ghost Story" or "Liao Zhai Zhi Yi", the first installment of the movie tells about a love triangle that takes place between a human couple and a fox spirit. Action star Donnie Yen, along with mainland actors Chen Kun, Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun and Sun Li starred in the film released in 2008. It pocketed 230 million RMB or about 33million US dollars at the box office.

The second installment will be an adventure story more than a love tale. It tells of when the couple's son grows up and makes a journey to the west to seek the source of eternal youth for his parents. During the trip, he conquers many difficulties which are given to him by some powerful demons.

Donnie Yen, Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun and Sun Li will join the film again, and mainland actor Huang Xiaoming will replace Chen Kun to play the male lead, Wang Sheng and his son Wang Ying. "

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to CRIENGLISH, a sequel to "Painted Skin" has, as of July 8th, started shooting in Dalian City.

I did a search on the forum but if I missed seeing this already posted I apologise

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/07/08/2602s581717.htm

"Painted Skin 2" Starts Shooting In Da Lian

A sequel to director Gordon Chen's romantic fantasy story "Painted Skin" recently started shooting in Dalian city, northeastern China's Liaoning province.

Adopted from Chinese novelist Pu Songling's famous work "Erotic Ghost Story" or "Liao Zhai Zhi Yi", the first installment of the movie tells about a love triangle that takes place between a human couple and a fox spirit. Action star Donnie Yen, along with mainland actors Chen Kun, Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun and Sun Li starred in the film released in 2008. It pocketed 230 million RMB or about 33million US dollars at the box office.

The second installment will be an adventure story more than a love tale. It tells of when the couple's son grows up and makes a journey to the west to seek the source of eternal youth for his parents. During the trip, he conquers many difficulties which are given to him by some powerful demons.

Donnie Yen, Zhao Wei, Zhou Xun and Sun Li will join the film again, and mainland actor Huang Xiaoming will replace Chen Kun to play the male lead, Wang Sheng and his son Wang Ying. "

Thank You for posting this bengs !

I just read about it my self at a Chinese Forum very recently .

Here is a alleged inside scoop on the script ( supposedly secret), After the son accidentally runs

into MA master Donnie on his journey & learns MA from him ,gets the source of eternal youth

potion etc,etc lots of trouble ensues as it backfires on his dad !

( Since it only works if given by a genetic child to a parent, sort of deal ..) .

Therefor a BIG secret is out !!

Yes you guessed right , off course it is not his real dad because the true dad is Donnie Yen !!

So they need to get help from the spirits to fix this new problem.

This is the rumored outline ...But MIX a serious dose of action in & it may not be far off?

We will see in time !

Athena ;)

Donnie's involvement hasn't been clarified. But I strongly believe it's unlikely since he prepping the One-Armed Swordsman remake next month.

Donnie's involvement hasn't been clarified. But I strongly believe it's unlikely since he prepping the One-Armed Swordsman remake next month.

Who else do you think will be considered for "his " part then DiP ?

Any ideas ?

Xiexie Athena

PS. But he has been known to work on more than one movie at the time before

& he is on a money making trail right now ...

It's not about who else is being considered for the part, it's whether or not Donnie's going to be in the movie because he himself hasn't officially confirmed his return to the role. Besides, this news broke out so suddenly without any mentions of Donnie taking part in the production beforehand. Let's wait and see. Simple.

a sequel? well, i liked the first one but... donnie?again (if he will be in this one of course)? lol there are no other martial artists in china or hk? :neutral:

I loathe using the phrase "take it for what it is" because it's usually used to defend a lousy movie. However, I found it appropriate for "Painted Skin" as it was obviously not supposed to be a fight movie. It wasn't great, but the female leads played their parts well, and they were adapting a popular story. Donnie Yen was clearly the worst part. It probably shouldn't be surprising that his performance in "Ip Man" was so lauded considering this was what preceded it.

I'll probably end up watching this somewhere down the line, but I'm not walking in expecting a martial arts extravaganza. Even if they are trying to make it into an action movie, it doesn't sound like they will focus it on Donnie.

Drunken Monk

I didn't see the original but this looks pretty visually stunning. I'm wondering it's worth a watch though as I've heard bad things about both films. If it was playing nearby, I'd certainly give it a go.

saw the 3d version here in china... useless 3d, too long, so so action scenes, cgi not really good... the first one is much better

OK so is this a remake or reboot, or a sequel? It does look visually stunning and I think I'll take a run to the city to see it.

too long, so so action scenes, cgi not really good... the first one is much better

watched it just the other day. really liked the first one.

the (comparatively unrelated) sequel is decent. has its issues, particularly lenghts, quality and quantity level of the action & screenplay/general conception.

resurrection took me right back to the directors cut of the first PS.

it drags period! at times, it seems to go absolutely nowhere really.

didnt mind the quality of the cgi (or the lack thereof). its okay. could have been better, could have been worse.

PS1 (theatrical) : 7.7/10

PS1 (directors cut) : 6.7/10

PS2 (resurrection) : 6/10

i do hope they`ll give us PS3..... provided they`ll up the ante regarding action elements and structure/pace.

basically its a new generations ACGS minus the plot continuity.

Tweak it, lose the superficial soap opera appeal (wont keep my hopes up tho, its simply the mainlands demands i guess) & we got ourselves something nobody would be nagging about.

Watched this today. Pretty good movie. It is a joy visually with some fun effects and beautiful shots. The narrative was pretty muddled, and it took a while for me to figure out what exactly the main plot was, and who the main characters were.. About half way through I was also wondering why certain characters were even in the movie..But in the end everything was tied together pretty well, and it had a nice happy ending. There wasn't much fighting, but the one or two were pretty cool effect heavy fight scenes.

Enjoyable movie, worth a watch if you are into the effect heavy, romantic wuxia stuff, and not looking to see a lot of fighting.

Archived