Best Version of "Shaolin vs Wu Tang"

Cheh's Boys

Cheh's Boys

I know there are other Lau Kar Leung/Gordon Lui movies that are considered better but this is one of my favorites. I have 3 or so different versions of this film and they are all pretty bad transfers. Full screen, non-remastered, burned subs, muffled audio.

I also have the panmedia widescreen with the original mandarin but the print is horrible.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows if there is a better version out there?

I also was curious why IVL or Celestial haven't released any versions of this movie even though they own pretty much the entire Shaw library?

Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not offically a Shaw, there's some older theads about it if you do a search. I'd like to find a better copy too but looks like we're currently out of luck. I love hearing those samples from the first Wu Tang album:xd:

Knockabout

I'm not 100% sure, but i think there's a french (remastered?) DVD release of this one.. However, the picture is very dark and not that good. Again not sure, but i believe that the FLK release is a cleaned up / color corrected version of said print!

Anyway you can see some screen caps of the FLK version here, and compare those to the versions you have already:

Shaolin vs Wu Tang - FLK

Yea the best "legit" release is the french version, but the picture quality is dark, as you can see from screenshots below

01ns1.jpg

02rd1.jpg

The french version btw does not have any english subtitles, this is a custom piece of work.

As knockabout says the FLK version is probably the best release around at moment

Cheh's Boys

inframan - I did a search and didn't see anything about it not being officially a shaw film. maybe I just missed it. but the movie does have the shaw brothers logo in the beginning, so was it just co-produced or something? and yeah the dub is one of the few I actually enjoy due to the wu tang samples.

knockabout - thanks for the link but you have to sign in to view the pictures. (just a heads up) niro put some up though so no worries.

niro - yeah these screen caps look like the widescreen panmedia i have. they probably just copied it and threw the subtitles they had together. and I understand the french version is legit and people frown upon panmedia but I had already purchased it before I read more about how panmedia sucks. For the most part I buy legit copies.

I guess I'm just asking to see if there have been any developments since the last request which was almost 2 years ago. (unless I'm reading that wrong)

Knockabout

Just found a post by Flashlegs Pete Jr. himself (includes more screen caps from the FLK version):

Shaolin vs Wu-Tang tread

Apparently the french print is cut, which makes the FLK version the one to get for sure!

Cheh's Boys

inframan - yep, there it is, right in the title...boy do i feel sheepish. thanks for the info. sorry for a repeat post.

No problem, actually i searched google shaolin wu tang shaw and it came back to good ol KFC

Archived