Gallants on Sat/Sun @ Montreal Fantasia Film Festival!

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to remind everyone that Fantasia begins with a bang tonight! The festival opens with a wicked martial arts double header. There's the Spanish martial arts film Mandrill, which starts at 7:15 pm, and Ip Man 2, which gets underway at 9:45! Here are some links.

Mandrill: : http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2010/en/films/film_detail.php?id=59

Ip Man: http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2010/en/films/film_detail.php?id=16

Mandrill has gotten some good buzz. It was well reviewed over at Fantastic Fest. It goes without saying that Ip Man should kick some major ass. I hope to see local folks there!

h

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Amazing Psycho Per

Too bad I didn't see this post earlier but, I was there just on time...

I liked both films.

Mandrill was great, funny, with lots of fights but, for my taste, less well balanced then Mirageman. It felt sometimes as if it was trying to hard at being funny. Or maybe it's because the genre it pastiche/spoof has been done so many times. Also, Zaror tried to add mma to his choreo. and I don't think that it's thing, because it cuts the rythm in his fights, not to mention the slow-mo that is not always succesfully used.

But still it kicked a lot of ass and I laughed a couple times. Zaror plays the cool Mandrill very effectively and his character has more depth then the genre it's spoofing. My grief aren't that big a deal and may just be a matter of personal taste so it still comes as very strongly recommended.

Is it just me or was the Ip Man 2 the wildest crowd ever at a Fantasia screening? Wow.

I don't know if it was a factor (probably) but IM 2 kicked my ass. I don't have much to say except that for me, it exceeded the first one in terms of everything. I'm telling you people, if you haven't seen Ip Man 2 with a Fantasia crowd, you haven't seen it yet...

I really enjoyed Mandrill. The crowd seemed to like it, too. The crowd for Ip Man 2 was wild. They were really into the film, and that probably factored into my enjoyment of the movie, too! As usual, King-Wei Chu was great with his opening monologue, and that set the tone nicely. The trailer of Delightful Forest was amazing. I wish Fantasia would show that on 35mm!

I'm going to start a Mandrill thread because there isn't one already. I put together a small write up of the film. It shows again on June 10, and I might go check it out again! Thread link:

http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11460

I hope to see you at Gallants A.P.P!

Hi Folks!

As readers & forum members already know, Fanatsia 2010 is here! Last night, Fantasia fans were treated to the Canadian premier of Donnie Yen’s Ip Man 2. The movie went over huge with the audience and will be showing again on July 10th at 11:45 pm and on July 13th at 5:00 pm.

Another Martial arts film out of HK that is showing at Fantasia 2010 is Gallants, a film which has been garner some great positive buzz, and is the subject of discussion on the kungfucinema.com forums. Fresh out of NYAFF, Gallants will be making it’s Canadian premier on July 10th at 6:30 pm, and will also be playing on July 11th at 12:30 pm. Present at screening will be one of the film’s stars, Kung Fu movie veteran Bruce Leung, and Gallants co-director Clement Cheng. I’ve been privileged to get a sneak peek at Gallants; fans of old-school kung fu films should make a point of checking this out. Shaw brothers legend Chen Kuan Tai stars, along with Chan Wei Man, Lo Meng (Who now bills himself under the name “Turbo Law”), and Shaw Yum Yum. Newer faces include Wong Yue-Nam as Cheung, the beautiful JJ Jia, and rapper MC Jin. If you enjoyed Ip Man 2, make point to come out and see Gallants, and meet the people who made the movie! Hope to see you there!

Ip Man 2 is playing on July 10th at 11:45 pm at the J.A DeSeve theater, 1400 de Maisonneuve West, and on July 11th at 5:00 pm at the Hall theater, 1455 de Maisonneuve West.

Gallants is playing on July 10th at 6:30 pm at the Hall theater, 1455 de Maisonneuve West, and on July 11th at 12:30 pm J.A DeSeve theater, 1400 de Maisonneuve West.

The Amazing Psycho Per
I hope to see you at Gallants A.P.P!

Can't make it sorry... I'm pretty pissed because it will probably be awesome but I'm going away for the week end with my girlfriend. I'll be at The Clash tonight though...

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Can't make it sorry... I'm pretty pissed because it will probably be awesome but I'm going away for the week end with my girlfriend. I'll be at The Clash tonight though...

Hey Bro, start practicing your *Cough* "Oh no. I think I may be getting sick babe. You should go without me." monolouge. :xd: Seriously, you shouldn't miss GALLANTS on the big screen. Plus your gal lives where you do, so it's easy to see her. When are you going to get a chance to meet Bruce Liang again? :nerd:

The Amazing Psycho Per

Lol Nah... She stills proudly exhibits the board she broke in her Karate class a couple years ago and she doesn't react well to disapoitment... And I'm also a terrible liar...:tongue: Seriously, thanks for the advice though, believe me I really wanted to go. It's just bad timing.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Well, well, well... Thanks to a mix of bad weather and convincing, seems like I will be present tomorrow after all!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Lol Nah... She stills proudly exhibits the board she broke in her Karate class a couple years ago and she doesn't react well to disapoitment... And I'm also a terrible liar...:tongue: Seriously, thanks for the advice though, believe me I really wanted to go. It's just bad timing.

It's good that you have a woman that you respect (even though it's fear-based respect:xd:), and that you're a bad liar. That's actually a good trait you know. :angel:

Well, well, well... Thanks to a mix of bad weather and convincing, seems like I will be present tomorrow after all!

The old mix of kung fu mojo and drunken Irish rain dace worked! You owe me one bro. :wink: LOL Enjoy the movie and Mr. Liang!

The Amazing Psycho Per

Oh so You're the bearded dude that was dancing around my house! Thanks for the help, but next time you could try to see if it would still work if you had your clothes on.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Oh so You're the bearded dude that was dancing around my house! Thanks for the help, but next time you could try to see if it would still work if you had your clothes on.

The nudity was a choice, it had nothing to do with the process. :xd:

Have a great time man!

Archived