Kung Fu Box Sets

Gaijin84

Drunken Monk
how much screen time does Chen Sing get in Double Impact?

This doesn't answer your question exactly, but IMDB lists his role in "Double Impact" as "dockworker." Due to that title, I'm assuming he isn't in it for long.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I saw that. If I had the movie I would check to see if he is in it or not. I'll have to pick it up some time just to check. I'm a big Chen Sing fan if he shows his face for a tenth of a second I'll be happy. But it's gonna be hard to sit through this movie again.

Secret Executioner

Tried to look up Chen Sing and Double Impact on hkcinemagic, but found NOTHING linking that actor (whose movies I have a lot BTW). But there's a guy called Philip Chan in Double Impact and one of his AKAs is... Chen Hsin Chien. Like the Kwan Wong situation, they could well have had 2 actors mixed... :squigglemouth:

On Chiu Chen, he's listed on the Flying Fists Of Kung Fu set as well and is credited for Kids Of Shaolin - not sure what he did there, but that could be something to look into. Funny how they seem to mention actors with very famous they were in, but they must have been secondary characters (except for Donnie Yen in Ip Man). Chang Yee was in Exit The Dragon, Enter The Tiger, Tien-chi Chang in Fearless Hyena and Wei Tung in Hero (maybe it's not the 2002 film with Jet Li, but still). They also mention Dragon Lee being in Dragon On Fire (never heard of that) and John Liu being in Invincible Armour (while John Liu is indeed the lead, I think more of Hwang Jang Lee for this one - HJL isn't even mentionned among these "Striking Kung Fu Stars" BTW).

Now, my turn to ask questions: is that Kickin' It Shaolin Style set good ? The Flying Fists one is pretty good so far (seen about half of the films and no disappointment).

Morgoth Bauglir

The Kickin It set got their info from IMDB on Chen SIng. I give it a 50/50 chance he is in the movie.

As for "striking kung fu stars", I've always found Hwang Jang Lee to be pretty ugly. But check out this hunky man of a man, Chen Chiu- BruceVsBill+1981-3-t.jpg

Dragon Lee is actually in 2 different movies called Dragon on Fire.

The Kicking It set is good. Sometimes I just like to sit down with this collection and kick it.

Here's a list of the movies.

Dynamite Shaolin Heroes- good oldschool Korean kung fu.

Shaolin Invincible Guys- I wasn't able to give this one my full attention. Other stuff going on I guess. It was ok but I just wasn't that into it. I will be rewatching it.

The Cavalier- been many years but I remember this was just ok.

18 Shaolin Riders- just ok, but a crazy finale you have to see.

Stranger From Shaolin- really enjoyed this.

Shaolin Kung Fu- weird title because I don't remember any Shaolin, just rickshaw feuding. I've been meaning to rewatch this but I can't seem to make it more than 10 minutes in.

Fist From Shaolin- a total ripoff of the Once Upon a Time in China series. I have to wonder if they got sued over this. But that being said, it is a fun movie.

Shaolin Brothers- saw this many years ago I couldn't get into it.

Rebel of Shaolin- awesome

Shaolin Death Squad- it stinks

Shaolin Super Dragon- haven't seen this one in forever. It's nothing special but I remember rewatching it a few times because it has some really good fighting.

The Magnificent- once again haven't watched it in forever. It was fun but they overdid it with the action. Like I remember in one fight Cassanova sent a guy flying in the air, then the guy is coming down head first, and Cassanova catches him with his foot.

masterofoneinchpunch
...I really had no idea that someone would give not 1, but 2 possible answers to this question. So I have to ask you your expert opinion. Which do you think it is? Paul Wong Kwan, or Kwan Young Moon? Or maybe it was a mish mash of both actors that got the writer confused?

Well you asked the question twice so I thought I would chime in. Let me pick up that set (FYE has it so I can get it pretty soon) and I can possibly speculate more on what the writer was possibly thinking. It's amazing how many backs (and fronts) of martial art movies and sets (heck even the non-martial arts of Shaw Brothers) have bad information or completely wrong synopsis. Or for the matter books.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah sometimes I have to rattle your cage a little bit and ask the question a 2nd time. But I will ask a 3rd and 4th time no big deal. But I won't ask a 5th time.

I don't want you to buy the set just to read it lol. But I imagine you are getting it for the movies, and that would be a good choice, especially for the price. I always like to get these sets because if I really like a movie, but it is not a good version, I can seek out a better version. Or like in the case of Kung Fu Genius, the version in the 12 movie set is much better than the one I had previously.

Here is some additional info for you from the back of the DVD case of Kickin It Shaolin Style- "Knock yourself out with 12 high- flyin and punch packin kung fu films. From the ultimate Shaolin Masters to the legends of kung fu combat, these cult classics of slugfest cinema are hard to find and sure to delight with high kickin action and adrenaline pumpin combat!"

So the writer is not a terrible writer or anything. It's not like reading the description from a HK DVD. But it isn't clear whether or not he knows anything about kung fu movies. Another theory I have about the writer is that there were like 4 people who know nothing about kf, and they decided that if they put their heads together they'd be able to come up with 6 actors' names from these movies. They tried their best, but they overthought it. But this is one of "my" theories, so not quite as logical as yours:tongue:

51yVpTvLHQL.jpg

Sorta useless, but hey, I'm just reporting it:

This 2 disc collection includes the following titles...

One Down Two to Go (1976), starring Fred Williamson, Jim Brown and Jim Kelly

L.A. Street Fighters (1985) aka Ninja Turf, starring Phillip Rhee

Laser Mission (1989) starring Brandon Lee

Terminal Rush (1996), starring Don "The Dragon" Wilson and Roddy Piper

Fist of Fear, Touch of Death (1980), starring Fred Williamson and Ron Van Clief

Bruce Lee Fights Back from the Grave (1976)

Blind Fist of Bruce (1979), Bruce Li

The Image of Bruce Lee (1978), both starring Bruce Li.

Releases October 7, 2014!

Secret Executioner

A "Bruce Lee pack" where barely half the films are Bruceploitations - you get blaxploitations, a Brandon Lee movie (now that's kind of a surprise) and a Don Wilson film (which makes it even more irritating to see him called "The Dragon").

My opinion on that ? Change the artwork and the title, but the films may be worth keeping (though most appear in countless sets).

masterofoneinchpunch
Yeah I saw that. If I had the movie I would check to see if he is in it or not. I'll have to pick it up some time just to check. I'm a big Chen Sing fan if he shows his face for a tenth of a second I'll be happy. But it's gonna be hard to sit through this movie again.

Unfortunately you have to use forensic science for this one. I hope you can follow my meandering logic.

IMDB has Cast (in credits order) (verified as complete) which is unfortunately wrong. The order is in appearance which actually makes it easier (not easy) to try to figure out who is who.

Notice the name used here (written as Chan Siu Sing); also the fact that character takes place after the Karate Student who gets beat up and the Mah Jong Manager (in several Van Damme films so he is easty to recognize)

DoubleImpactCredit_zps733dd81d.jpg

But what is weird is that there are no new speaking parts between the Karate Instructor and Students and Kamel Krifa. The credit order above also seems to be slightly wrong as the Instructor comes in first then the two students (which Van Damme kicks one.)

Really the only close up you get is of this non-speaker before Kamel:

DoubleImpactWhoIsThis_zps6657b2d4.jpg

Which is hilarious because he looks like Chen Kuan-Tai.

The person who gives Van Damme the money after the talk with Kamel is Galen Yuen (Smuggler).

Diagnosis: The Chen Sing (aka Chan Sing) we know is not in the film. It is possible there was a deleted scene. Does anyone know if Siu is our Chen's middle name?

Morgoth Bauglir

Going above and beyond, again, is the masteroftheoneinchpunch. You are turning into like a forum hero you know that:tongue:

He looks like he's CKT's brother lol.

Once again imdb has proven to be the worst possible place to get information on martial arts movies. Luckily there is people like you and gaijin and hkmdb! Yeah!

masterofoneinchpunch
Going above and beyond, again, is the masteroftheoneinchpunch. You are turning into like a forum hero you know that:tongue:

He looks like he's CKT's brother lol.

Once again imdb has proven to be the worst possible place to get information on martial arts movies. Luckily there is people like you and gaijin and hkmdb! Yeah!

The fun thing about it is I get to learn too. I found a copy of Double Impact on DVD yesterday (I used to have the VHS), and what I thought might be an easy question turned out not to be. A lot of rewinding, checking, etc... (same this morning too.) I do not want to see Van Damme in an aerobics with pastel color outfit again though.

Strange mistake on IMDB. Getting the name wrong first (normally when this happens on IMDB they write something like the following using Charles Bronson as an example (as Charles Buchinsky) and second then linking it a possibly wrong guy.

Since there is no speaking roles between the two students and instructor and the antagonist of Kickboxer 4 it makes me think there was a deleted scene (often credits will have people listed who are not in the final cut of the film but were in the work print.) You can see a couple of deleted scenes on youtube (from the trailer.)

Morgoth Bauglir

Definitely there could be deleted scenes. I'm guessing that the DVD you bought doesn't have deleted scenes, making of, interviews, gag reel, liner notes, Bolo kung fu demonstration... I bet it doesn't even have a cd of the soundtrack. But someone here should be able to list different versions of the movie. If not, I bet that markgway knows.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Got this yesterday for $5.95.

Flicks With Kicks (Advantage Collection) on DVD

All Rarescope releases.

192413.jpg

10 movies.

Shaolin vs. Ninja / Shaolin vs. Tai Chi — Shaolin vs. Ninja The Japanese challenge Shaolin to a contest which will determine who has the better martial arts, creating a non-stop action spectacle. From Robert Tai, the action director who brought the world such hits as 5 Venoms and Invincible Shaolin , this is a classic among classics! Superstar, Alexander Lo, leads the monks along with Tai's prot�g�, William Yen, who is perhaps the best acrobat to ever hit the silver screen. 85 minutes Not Rated

Shaolin vs. Tai Chi (aka Shaolin and Tai Chi) - The world famous Shaolin Monks help their country against traitors, the invading Japanese led by the ruthless Ninjas, and worse, the Mantis of the North, who wants to dominate the Martial World. The Monks cannot defeat the intruders with traditional Shaolin, so they combine Tai Chi and Drunken Boxing to create a new style of entertaining fighting. 84 minutes Not Rated

Chinese Godfather / Duel of Karate

Chinese Godfather: Starring in this tale of redemption and revenge was famed actor and kick boxer, Chan Wai Man, and in the female lead, Bruce Lee's friend Betty Ting Pei. Bruce Lee, who supported the film, died during the filming and the movie was dedicated to his spirit. 75 Minutes Not Rated

Duel of Karate: A kung fu master and his wife have twin baby boys. But when an opposing kung fu clan with Japanese assistance kills the parents, one baby manages to escape while the other is saved later from the arms of his dead mother. The two grow up living separate lives, but fate has them meet in a duel to the death brought on by deception and treachery. Only one will survive the Duel of Karate. The film stars popular actors, Roc Tien and Chan Hong Liu. 90 Minutes Not Rated

A Sword Named Revenge / The Dream Sword -

A Sword Named Revenge - Two swordsmen from separate sects band together to kill Ruthless Chi, head of another sect. But did he really die? Events show that the Ruthless killer still pulls the strings and it s up to the swordsmen to reveal his true identity. 100 Minutes Not Rated

The Dream Sword The Dream Sword is the ultimate weapon in the martial art world and the one who holds it becomes the target of those who want it. In this lavish epic of betrayal and thirst for power, the Shaw Bros. top superstar Yue Hua showcases his superb skills against fellow Shaw actors, including Lung Fei. 93 Minutes Not Rated

Showdown at the Cotton Mill Superstar Chi Kuan Chun reprises his role as Hu Hei Chien from the Shaw Bros. films, "Men From The Monastery" and "Shaolin Avengers". After rebelling openly against the Ching government, the imperial dynasty sends the Wu Tang forces to dispose of him. The ultimate Northern Leg versus Southern Fist showdown takes place when Hu comes face to face with Flash Legs Tan Tao Liang in a series of action-packed battles. 84 Minutes Not Rated

The Lost Swordship A masterpiece Chinese sword film stars Wang Ping and Roc Tien as master swordsmen fighting for their honor. Based on the Ku Long novel and originally intended as a Shaw Brothers production, until the project was lured away to Taiwan where it became a hit there and in all of Asia. 93 Minutes Not Rated

Ninjas and Dragons Martial arts traditions clash in this rare Chinese/Japanese co production, one of the nearly forgotten classics of old-school Asian cinema. The action-packed extravaganza stars Sonny Chiba prot�g�, Junya Takagi, as a Japanese samurai who teams with Chinese kung-fu rebels to wreak vengeance on the ninjas who murdered his father. 84 Minutes Not Rated

The Face Behind the Mask With its fast-paced action sequences and lavish period-piece production design, this Chinese film is a long lost classic of kung fu cinema. Directed by Jackie Chan's mentor, Chen Chi-hua, and featuring a cameo by Chan.

Text from ad.

GD Y-Y

masterofoneinchpunch
Can not find whats on this box set.

2506020.jpg

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

GD Y-Y

Here is what was supposed to be released. The link states 8 films. It was not released because of the BCI bankruptcy. This is even mentioned on this site by Mark Pollard (link):

Presently, Navarre is scheduled to release four martial arts titles on January 6th. This includes Shaw classics LIFE GAMBLE and OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER, early Tony Jaa actioner HARD GUN and FLICKS WITH KICKS 2, a two-pack containing previously released Rarescope titles LOVE AND SWORD and CHOI LEE FUT KUNG FU. What will become of these titles as well as BCI’s other unreleased martial arts films is up for speculation at this point. Navarre may let this most recent round of releases through and sift through the remaining library in order to decide which titles to keep or discard/sell off. We’ll have to wait and see.

Secret Executioner

All Rarescope releases.

192413.jpg

10 movies.

Shaolin vs. Ninja / Shaolin vs. Tai Chi — Shaolin vs. Ninja The Japanese challenge Shaolin to a contest which will determine who has the better martial arts, creating a non-stop action spectacle. From Robert Tai, the action director who brought the world such hits as 5 Venoms and Invincible Shaolin , this is a classic among classics! Superstar, Alexander Lo, leads the monks along with Tai's prot�g�, William Yen, who is perhaps the best acrobat to ever hit the silver screen. 85 minutes Not Rated

Shaolin vs. Tai Chi (aka Shaolin and Tai Chi) - The world famous Shaolin Monks help their country against traitors, the invading Japanese led by the ruthless Ninjas, and worse, the Mantis of the North, who wants to dominate the Martial World. The Monks cannot defeat the intruders with traditional Shaolin, so they combine Tai Chi and Drunken Boxing to create a new style of entertaining fighting. 84 minutes Not Rated

Chinese Godfather / Duel of Karate

Chinese Godfather: Starring in this tale of redemption and revenge was famed actor and kick boxer, Chan Wai Man, and in the female lead, Bruce Lee's friend Betty Ting Pei. Bruce Lee, who supported the film, died during the filming and the movie was dedicated to his spirit. 75 Minutes Not Rated

Duel of Karate: A kung fu master and his wife have twin baby boys. But when an opposing kung fu clan with Japanese assistance kills the parents, one baby manages to escape while the other is saved later from the arms of his dead mother. The two grow up living separate lives, but fate has them meet in a duel to the death brought on by deception and treachery. Only one will survive the Duel of Karate. The film stars popular actors, Roc Tien and Chan Hong Liu. 90 Minutes Not Rated

A Sword Named Revenge / The Dream Sword -

A Sword Named Revenge - Two swordsmen from separate sects band together to kill Ruthless Chi, head of another sect. But did he really die? Events show that the Ruthless killer still pulls the strings and it s up to the swordsmen to reveal his true identity. 100 Minutes Not Rated

The Dream Sword The Dream Sword is the ultimate weapon in the martial art world and the one who holds it becomes the target of those who want it. In this lavish epic of betrayal and thirst for power, the Shaw Bros. top superstar Yue Hua showcases his superb skills against fellow Shaw actors, including Lung Fei. 93 Minutes Not Rated

Showdown at the Cotton Mill Superstar Chi Kuan Chun reprises his role as Hu Hei Chien from the Shaw Bros. films, "Men From The Monastery" and "Shaolin Avengers". After rebelling openly against the Ching government, the imperial dynasty sends the Wu Tang forces to dispose of him. The ultimate Northern Leg versus Southern Fist showdown takes place when Hu comes face to face with Flash Legs Tan Tao Liang in a series of action-packed battles. 84 Minutes Not Rated

The Lost Swordship A masterpiece Chinese sword film stars Wang Ping and Roc Tien as master swordsmen fighting for their honor. Based on the Ku Long novel and originally intended as a Shaw Brothers production, until the project was lured away to Taiwan where it became a hit there and in all of Asia. 93 Minutes Not Rated

Ninjas and Dragons Martial arts traditions clash in this rare Chinese/Japanese co production, one of the nearly forgotten classics of old-school Asian cinema. The action-packed extravaganza stars Sonny Chiba prot�g�, Junya Takagi, as a Japanese samurai who teams with Chinese kung-fu rebels to wreak vengeance on the ninjas who murdered his father. 84 Minutes Not Rated

The Face Behind the Mask With its fast-paced action sequences and lavish period-piece production design, this Chinese film is a long lost classic of kung fu cinema. Directed by Jackie Chan's mentor, Chen Chi-hua, and featuring a cameo by Chan.

Text from ad.

GD Y-Y

The ad does its job very well here - if you look at my review of Chinese Godfather, you'll see it's only a really bad movie with stills of Bruce Lee popping up every now and then and footage of his funeral being spliced in after a character dies... :squigglemouth:

Showdown At The Cotton Mill however sounds interesting. Strange to see a Shaw Bros film here.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
The ad does its job very well here - if you look at my review of Chinese Godfather, you'll see it's only a really bad movie with stills of Bruce Lee popping up every now and then and footage of his funeral being spliced in after a character dies... :squigglemouth:

Showdown At The Cotton Mill however sounds interesting. Strange to see a Shaw Bros film here.

Once again a bad print of SATCMM.

Its the same one on YouTube.

The beginning is rough in quality.

Does this improve as the film goes on?

I cannot watch a BAD print.

:tinysmile_angry2_t:

GD Y-Y

It`s decent film but not shaw bros one tho...It´s marketing trick used by studio/distributor. I have seen quite often in film description stating "starring shaw bros superstar david chiang/jimmy wang yu/gordon liu".

Secret Executioner
It`s decent film but not shaw bros one tho...It´s marketing trick used by studio/distributor. I have seen quite often in film description stating "starring shaw bros superstar david chiang/jimmy wang yu/gordon liu".

Damn, would have sworn it was. Guess it must be because I've seen it mentionned alongside other similar Shaw films. :squigglemouth:

All Rarescope releases.

May I ask where you were able to find it at such a nice price?

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
May I ask where you were able to find it at such a nice price?

Sure @ my local Cheapos.

Two weeks ago they had a glut of kung fu movies.

They were selling at least 10 Shaws as well as others for $95cents up to a $1.98.

I got 8 movies for less that 10 bucks.

GD Y-y

Has anyone here had experience of the Shaolin Iron Men set? What's the quality like? I'm looking for decent set of Bronzemen films, and the price on this seems too good to be true:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00376AVXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UO41KV1PS954

I now own this box set, and have had a look at 18 Bronzemen + Return of 18 Bronzemen.

First film is full screen, Return is wide - however both are cropped vertically at either side. I'm not sure why this is - I had the same problem with other VideoAsia titles. The quality is.. well, about the level of a bootleg VHS from the 90s, which is probably the source print for this. You can't really argue with the price, they are watchable, but those buying should be well aware that the quality leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't watched the full films so I'm not sure if they are cut/uncut.

Archived