Kung Fu Box Sets

Gaijin84

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Got this two weeks ago.

High quality prints.

51yjDJfHrFL._SY300_.jpg

Jackie Chan (Operation Condor / Operation Condor 2: The Armour of the Gods / Dragon Lord / Twin Dragons / Project A / Project A2 / Supercop / The Accidental Spy) (Eight-Pack) (2012)

GD Y-Y

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Got this two weeks ago.

High quality prints.

51yjDJfHrFL._SY300_.jpg

Jackie Chan (Operation Condor / Operation Condor 2: The Armour of the Gods / Dragon Lord / Twin Dragons / Project A / Project A2 / Supercop / The Accidental Spy) (Eight-Pack) (2012)

GD Y-Y

Good find. :cool: Doesn't this also exist on Bluray ?

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Got this two weeks ago.

High quality prints.

51yjDJfHrFL._SY300_.jpg

GD Y-Y

Good find. :cool: Doesn't this also exist on Bluray ?

The problem with all of these Mirimax releases is that they are ALL edited, re-cut, often re-scored, bastardized versions of the films. Which is a big shame, because they are indeed nice prints. :squigglemouth:

Secret Executioner
The problem with all of these Mirimax releases is that they are ALL edited, re-cut, often re-scored, bastardized versions of the films. Which is a big shame, because they are indeed nice prints. :squigglemouth:

Ouch,sounds pretty bad - especially with nice prints and these great titles. :squigglemouth:

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah the American versions suck. I remember Project A being really bad. But as a small bonus Danny Trejo voices the villain Dick Wei.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Mhhhhh....................could not tell myself.

Only watched Project A 2 thus far.

GD Y-Y

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Mhhhhh....................could not tell myself.

Only watched Project A 2 thus far.

GD Y-Y

Hey, as long as you still enjoyed it, all is well. :bigsmile: Even a bastardized version of PROJECT A 2 is still fun. :nerd:

I just wanted to warn those who are more fussy that these are cut so that they didn't buy them and get mad.

Secret Executioner
Hey, as long as you still enjoyed it, all is well. :bigsmile: Even a bastardized version of PROJECT A 2 is still fun. :nerd:

I just wanted to warn those who are more fussy that these are cut so that they didn't buy them and get mad.

Isn't the Miramax logo on the cover some kind of warning already ? :tongue:

I hate the fact the Miramax think that they know what the audience want to see when they have no clue. What they do to the titles they acquire really alienate their core audience. But they seem to think the redubbing and cutting them somehow shifts more units. Quite the opposite I think.

Morgoth Bauglir

Miramax Project A2 is a good version of the movie. They didn't tinker with it very much and I didn't mind the English dub. With Project A they really went out of there way to ruin it.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
Miramax Project A2 is a good version of the movie. They didn't tinker with it very much and I didn't mind the English dub. With Project A they really went out of there way to ruin it.

Wel,l at least I saw Project A2 in a high quality not messed with print.

And I am grateful for that.

How about the rest of the movies in the said Jackie Chan 8 movie collection?

GD Y-Y

Secret Executioner
You've never seen the other 7 movies?

I guess he's wondering about the Miramax jobs, not the originals - having said that, I have never seen any of those so...

Morgoth Bauglir

I already talked about Project A enough. Great movie but I don't even want to think about the Miramax version ever again. Supercop is good, but you don't want the Miramax version. But it is watchable. So watch it. The other 5 movies I can't say much about. I like them, but not enough to care about them.

Supercop is the most heavily cut, around 20 minutes. Accidental Spy also got trimmed quite a bit to remove anthrax references. The other films have been tweaked a bit but nothing substantial IIRC.

I thought the A/V quality wasn't great. Some of the movies are very pixellated especially on a bigger TV screen. With 4 movies per disc, you can't expect much. Not bad for a budget set though.

I have some screencaps here

http://hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/jackiecollection.htm

I hate the fact the Miramax think that they know what the audience want to see when they have no clue. What they do to the titles they acquire really alienate their core audience. But they seem to think the redubbing and cutting them somehow shifts more units. Quite the opposite I think.

I think the success of Snowpiercer on VOD has finally taught them it isn't necessary to edit their imports. They are releasing 14 Blades later this month theatrically/VOD and that looks to be uncut.

I haven't seen that one, but Videoasia releases are cheap for a reason. They usually have bad A/V quality, most of them are dubbed and cropped center framed taken from poor quality VHS or MPEG rips.

Cloud Hands

Thanks, I guessed as much. I've bought it anyway, at that price it doesn't really matter if they are that poor. I'll post an update when I see them on the quality.

Secret Executioner
Has anyone here had experience of the Shaolin Iron Men set? What's the quality like? I'm looking for decent set of Bronzemen films, and the price on this seems too good to be true:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00376AVXU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2UO41KV1PS954

Been meaning to get that one too - looks like a good selection of movies.

Morgoth Bauglir

The 2 Bronzemen I think are wide. But they may be badly cut. I can't remember what all was wrong with it but it's one of the few sets I sold.

Morgoth Bauglir

I have a few questions about the information on the Kickin It Shaolin Style 12 movie set. From the back of the DVD case- "Starring Kung -Fu Masters: Lo Lieh (Five Fingers of Death), Chiu Chen (Wanted! Bruce Li, Dead or Alive), Kwan Wong (Project A), Carter Wong (Big Trouble in Little China), John Cheung (Bloodsport), Sing Chen (Double Impact)."

My questions are- how much screen time does Chen Sing get in Double Impact? I don't remember him in this movie. Is Chen Chiu really a kung fu master? On the Flying Fists 12 movie set he is listed as a "Striking Kung-Fu Star." And my final question. Who is Kwan Wong?

Morgoth Bauglir

Does anyone have any information on this yet? There is Kwan Wong discussion going on here folks. KWAN WONG (Project A).

masterofoneinchpunch
Does anyone have any information on this yet? There is Kwan Wong discussion going on here folks. KWAN WONG (Project A).

Some speculation:

Well there is a Paul Wong Kwan Link: http://www.hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?id=5916&display_set=eng who is in Project A, but I cannot match him up to any movies in that set.

But you notice that Kwan Yung-Moon is also in Project A but is in Dynamite Shaolin Heroes in that set as well.

Morgoth Bauglir

I swear every time I think that I've come up with the most brilliant post, someone like you has to outmastermind me. I never expected anyone to even try to answer that question. The other 2 questions are actually pretty easy. Amount of screen time for Chen Sing in Double Impact would probably just take a few minutes to scan through the movie and try to spot him. Is Chen Chiu really a kung fu master? Probably not, but you never know. I might have missed the movie where he gets to show his skills. But you. You go straight for the Kwan Wong question. You evil bastard. Honestly I don't know how I missed this. When I looked up Project A on hkmdb, after about 5 minutes all the names listed became a blur. But there he is the 23rd actor listed.

So, Paul Wong Kwan does seem to be the answer. But like you said, he's not in any of the 12 movies. But they listed him alongside actors like Lo Lieh and Carter Wong, who definitely are featured in these movies. So, once again you show your superior knowledge, and you list Kwan Young Moon as a possibility. And it completely throws a wrench into the Paul Wong Kwan theory. I think it is entirely possible that the person who wrote the description accidentally came up with a new alias for Kwan Young Moon

I really had no idea that someone would give not 1, but 2 possible answers to this question. So I have to ask you your expert opinion. Which do you think it is? Paul Wong Kwan, or Kwan Young Moon? Or maybe it was a mish mash of both actors that got the writer confused?

Archived