SEATTLE WA, AUG 7: Old School Kung-Fu Double Feature

Budthechud

Budthechud

Portland Grindhouse Film Festival Presents: Old School Kung-Fu Double Feature

On Saturday August 7th at the Grand Illusion Cinema, the Portland Grindhouse Film Festival presents an OLD SCHOOL KUNG FU DOUBLE FEATURE. The only known 35mm prints of two of the greatest kung fu movies ever made will be shown: INVINCIBLE POLE FIGHTER (at 7pm) and THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING (at 9pm). Grindhouse Film Festival organizer Dan Halsted will be on hand to talk about his attempts to save this unjustly maligned genre on 35mm, and his adventure last year unearthing the largest collection of these films in the Western Hemisphere. See photos from this story here: http://salvagingshaolin.blogspot.com/ Find more information on the Portland Grindhouse Film Festival here: http://grindhousefilmfest.com/

ABOUT THE GRAND ILLUSION

The Grand Illusion Cinema is the longest running independent cinema in the city, and has become a landmark of the film community. Opened in 1968 by Randy Findley in a converted dentist’s office the cinema became the city’s first arthouse and showcased foreign and revival films. The cinema was a success and lead to Randy opening the Seven Gables Cinema and eventually starting the local Seven Gables Theatre Chain, which inevitably got swallowed by the national Landmark Cinema Corporation. The Grand Illusion was never part of the Seven Gables Chain and remained a popular independent venue.

Non-profit film arts organization, the Northwest Film Forum, saved the theater from closure in 1997, remodeled it, and revitalized interest in the venerable institution. Since 2004 a strong group of dedicated staff and volunteers, focus all attention and energy on the continued tradition of this treasured cinema. Over the years, literally hundreds of cinema classics, rarities and truly independent cinema from around the worlds have been presented in the charming confines of The Grand Illusion Cinema.

The grand Illusion is currently in the midst of a fund raising drive. Support independent cinema and become a member. You can save money off your tickets as well as a Seattle institution.

GRAND ILLUSION CINEMA

1403 NE 50th St.

Seattle, WA 98105

(206)523-3935

WWW.GRANDILLUSIONCINEMA.ORG

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
presicion25

is there a list of what films he found?

Just wondering.

I noticed the blog doesnt have much info, im wondering where the theater is that he found all these films

thats a treasure trove of movies.

Dan Halsted is good people and is doing great work to save films that would have ended up in the scrap bin. I don't think the full list of films can be released for copywrite reasons. That's just a guess, though. Go check out his films! Good luck, Dan!!! I wish I could be there!

BATTLE AXE 45

The thing I wonder is what will he do with these films in the long run.A lot of us are not fortunate enough to go to Seattle to see movies we may or may not have already.Will he preserve them on another format,or keep the reels as is and show them only at these festivals?

Senor Quack

If I recall correctly from when the story first broke, the films were found under a stage at an old theater that was closed down in New York City's Chinatown.

Rock_Bottom

I was looking for the old Lee I Min thread and saw this...now I am excited about living in Seattle!!!

I remember when they were playing these in Portland, I was trying to figure out some work trip to Portland just to see Mysteries of Chessboxing but there were a lot of restrictions around work travel at the time and I could not make it happen in the middle of the week.

The only souring note for me is this theater is located right next to an office building where our old landlord who *tried* to sue us has an office...obviously that is not going to stop me from going. :xd:

Anyone else in the Seattle area, or from parts further, going to this?

Hey Rock_Bottom did you make it to the double feature? Was a helluva time and the prints were awesome!

I was most certainly there - my friend bailed on me at the last minute and so my poor wife was dragged along. :smile:

I was actually coming here to update the thread...was a pretty cool night, the GI holds only 70 or so people but both movies were def. sold out which was pretty cool to see...hope to see more of these in the future based on that.

Dan (are Dan and Budthechud the same?) explained where the big movie score came from and where the movies went to. They were found in an old Shaw Theater in Vancouver, BC...as far as I could tell they all went to the American Genre Film Archive in Texas as a write off for the Shaw Brothers (Dan said Shaw Brothers were not interested in selling them). Also, as far as I could tell all the movies found were Shaw Brothers movies.

The night:

INVINCIBLE POLE FIGHTER was really awesome...I'd have to say it was as good as watching a new/restored DVD but had burned-in subs...thankfully I explained the story to my wife beforehand as she had some troubles reading all the subs. I'm pretty sure it was an uncut print and according to Dan is the only known 35MM print in existence.

THE MYSTERY OF CHESS BOXING...what can I say, I love Lee Yi-Min and this was probably the best print of the movie I have ever seen...it was really crisp. Burned in subs again which are quite funny as compared to the dubs I have seen (er heard). There was a problem with the wind-up reel during the film so there was a small delay and we missed some of the movie but who cares, is was still awesome.

Also, for those not able to make it (due to living hundreds, if not thousands of miles away)...accoding to Dan the American Genre Film Archive that the Shaw Brothers films were donated to can loan the movies out theaters...so an industrious person not in Seattle could put on a showing if he or she could find a theater that plays 35MM films...here is there website: http://www.americangenrefilm.com/.

Thanks Dan for an awesome evening!!! :smile:

Archived