All Men Are Brothers/Mighty Peking Man BR/DVD Art

mpm74

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good catch.

But hey, looks like he did a good job. Why the hell would they change it anyways?

Ugh not huge on either of those covers personally . Obviously cover art only goes so far. Give me a problem free transfer and I'll buy them both ! (I always say this stuff hoping the people behind the DVD label are reading!)

I think 'Mighty Peking Man's cover is actually passable (but you could get better) - obviously Danny Lee's not on it though.

As for 'All Men Are Brothers', I'm not fond of the 'Sword Masters' tag, whilst the artwork looks a bit posterised and fresh-looking.

Not keen on the English dub tag either.

Absolutely nobody in the business of releasing Hong Kong films in the US is doing better covers than these. In the case of ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS, that's damning with faint praise as they're essentially biting the Magnolia/Magnet American RED CLIFF poster only with the characters stationary instead of charging forward... but the poster for MIGHTY PEKING MAN is legitimately good. Clean, simple, gets the point across with a minimal amount of bullshit. Ape. Woman. Anything else would be filler. Danny Lee is awesome, but he'd be a distraction on this particular cover. And the ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS poster's unsubtle Photoshoppery is still a vast improvement over the cheap and cluttered looking IVL.

(The "English Dub" tag is annoying, but this is the United States Of Duuuuuh Reading Words Makes My Brain Hurt we're talking about here... so I totally get that it's a necessary evil.)

Fang Shih-yu

Compared to earlier Well Go USA Shaw DVD covers (like the unimaginative content for Two Champions of Shaolin), the newer efforts (commencing with Heroes Shed No Tears) show more thought put into them!:bigsmile: One look at the work done for The Mighty Peking Man, I can't help but think of the 1976 King Kong, the notorious remake produced by Dino DeLaurentis!:tongue:

Absolutely nobody in the business of releasing Hong Kong films in the US is doing better covers than these.

Hmm, I donno (like Fang says about 'Two Champions') - I've seen better than Well Go. Discotek are inoffensive (although I'd maybe choose something else at times).

but the poster for MIGHTY PEKING MAN is legitimately good. Clean, simple, gets the point across with a minimal amount of bullshit.

Yeah, it almost looks like a new film, or an alternative discreet cover with a few peek-a-boo images of its content.

Danny Lee is awesome, but he'd be a distraction on this particular cover.

Yeah, he'd be hard to put on this cover. You'd have to create a general poster to accommodate his character. You're right about the ape and Evelyn - the main attraction.

And the ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS poster's unsubtle Photoshoppery is still a vast improvement over the cheap and cluttered looking IVL.

I agree about IVL's cover.

i have to admit i'm a bit surprised at the eng dub tag--but i bet that was a business decision to try and boost sales. most average movie buyers in this country will not buy a movie they have to read and for the most part i don't blame them--after all if i want to read something i'll buy a novel or a magazine or something---a movie is to be watched and listened to. just my opinion--i'm sure the usual people will disagree with me--and yes i do have at least 25 shaws that are sub titles only. in fact i watched one this morning--SOUL OF THE SWORD-- and when it was over i said to myself - great movie-to bad i didn't have the dub version. anyway i hope people don't try ripping me apart like the usually do---its just one guys opinion.:wink:

I agree. If anything they should put contains the BOTH ENGLISH and ORIGINAL CHINESE tracks.

Fang Shih-yu
I've seen better than Well Go.
Sticking to legit companies/releases, those who have done Shaw reissues have each pulled off some interesting cover graphics! for example, Image had its share of good and bad; The Killer Snakes was great, while The Lizard was bland and misleading! (Why was Lo Lieh --the heavy-- put on there like he was the hero, when in fact Yueh Hua was the lead?!) Disciples of Shaolin was cool because it was [practically] laid out like a comic book cover! The effort put into Heaven and Hell greatly bettered the IVL DVD's design; it makes me think of a Frank Frazetta painting!

For the most part, I think we give all these companies -- like Well Go, DD, Image and Funimation -- a bad rap. Even for some of the bad quality issues, gotta give these guys a pat on the back for even buying and releasing these films to begin with... i'm sure it's always a gamble on their part, since a small audience are into these kinds of films.

IF not for them, they would be stuck in OOP HK land.

Killer Meteor

The mono tracks on the Australian DVD of AMAB had the new sound fx too, on both the Chinese and English tracks. This was because, I think, Celestial had the visual materials but not the soundtracks for the extra footage.

Archived