Burning Paradise (1994)

Guest will91XingYu

3 minutes ago, WangYu said:

@Darth Kermit thanks for mentioning that film burning paradise, looks awesome, straight to watchlist, where it will most likely remain for years but still! 

Don`t set your expectations sky high. While it`s good movie, villain has no(or very little) martial arts experience in real and you see it in choreography.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChillyChong said:

Don`t set your expectations sky high. While it`s good movie, villain has no(or very little) martial arts experience in real and you see it in choreography.

Hey I’m a Wang Yu fan 😄

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darth Kermit said:

Don't listen to this naysayer, the film kicks ass!

I already decided that by watching the trailer. It looks lavish and spectacular. Got some minor big trouble in little china vibes probably because it looks adventurous and over the top.

• Like 2

I don't know if you regard films from 1994, classic, but I finished watching Burning Paradise from Vinegar Syndrome today. 

I wasn't expecting it to be this good, but I suppose with Tsui Hark as a producer, it had to kick arse. I was pleasantly surprised to see a young Fong Sai Yak, having only seen the two films which starred Jet Li.

Wanted to see if there was an audio commentary, which there was, but I couldn't hack her voice. So ordered the Eureka version as well, just for Frank Djeng.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

I don't know if you regard films from 1994, classic, but I finished watching Burning Paradise from Vinegar Syndrome today. 

You can see the time period for the sub-forums you're posting in denoted at the end of their titles - 

Classic Martial Arts 1920 - 1985

2.JPG.1eb6931b0364c0a037a4e6a074512774.JPG

Modern Martial Arts 1986 - Present

1.JPG.d46e2405614f6866825f3745e001e0d4.JPG

Hope that clears it up!

• Like 1

Wow after listening to the audio commentary by Frank Djeng, I had no idea that Willy Chi Tin-sang was essentially blacklisted from the HK film industry because he had an illicit affair with co-star Carmen Lee  while he hid the fact he had a wife and family back in Canada at the time. Apparently that was seen as a major character flaw and made him untrustworthy. I was wondering why his career didn't seem to take off?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Yihetuan said:

Wow after listening to the audio commentary by Frank Djeng, I had no idea that Willy Chi Tin-sang was essentially blacklisted from the HK film industry because he had an illicit affair with co-star Carmen Lee  while he hid the fact he had a wife and family back in Canada at the time. Apparently that was seen as a major character flaw and made him untrustworthy. I was wondering why his career didn't seem to take off?

Probably explains why we never saw him again. Despite how everyone felt about Drunken Master III, this film was a great vehicle for him. Would have been nice to see him in more films. Truly a tragedy

Edited by Ah_Tao
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ah_Tao said:

Probably explains why we never saw him again. Despite how everyone felt about Drunken Master III, this film was a great vehicle for him. Would have been nice to see him in more films. Truly a tragedy

Just a slight correction, I wrote that Willy Chi had a wife and kid back in Canada but I meant the US. Also, it was Johnny To who apparently discovered Willy Chi and wanted to nurture him to be the next big martial arts star but after hearing about Willy having a family back in the States while being in a relationship with Carmen Lee was too much for him and he basically spread the word to make Willy persona non grata. According to Frank, Willy still lives here in the US and is a successful businessman doing business with China.

• Like 4

Wow, interesting trivia on Willie Chi. I always wondered where his career had gone off after all these years. Shame he never pursued acting after the 1990s.

• Like 2