Burning Paradise (1994)

Guest will91XingYu

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks for the info! I saw it stars Willie Chi from Drunken Master 3, also the action direction is by Chris Lee. Are the fights fantasy based or grounded as well.

Guest froffeecoffee

They were for the most part grounded in reality, such as tiger and crane. Like all wire fu, they added a fantasy element like the evil monk using paint as deadly projectiles. A major part of the plot is the temple that the Shaolin students are imprisoned in. It's a virtual temple of traps and as many reviewers have commented, it's a character unto itself.

Guest will91XingYu

Thanks again! This sounds really cool, i've seen in the trailer some guy with a huge sword in the desert fighting of loads of guys, is that in this film.

Guest froffeecoffee

Quote: i've seen in the trailer some guy with a huge sword in the desert fighting of loads of guys, is that in this film.

Yes, I forgot about that in the film. Another cool weapon was one of the villians had a fighting staff with a circular blade at the end that shot out. Very cool.

Guest Milkyway

Quote: i've seen in the trailer some guy with a huge sword in the desert fighting of loads of guys, is that in this film.

Yes, I forgot about that in the film. Another cool weapon was one of the villians had a fighting staff with a circular blade at the end that shot out. Very cool.

you two must refer to New Dragon Gate Inn (or just New Dragon Inn), that one has a finale that takes place in the dessert with Maggie Cheung, Bridgette Lin, Tony Leung Kai Fai and some brat fighting Donnie Yen the main villain.

For great 90s wuxia I'd recommend Burning Paradise for those who haven't seen it yet. Definately one of the darkest kung fu movies I've ever seen. The main characters aren't really that memorable, and there is some misplaced comedy, but the action is excellent.

Guest Yi-Long

I'd like to see a good quality Fong Sai Yuk movie again, with a young, strong, short-tempered FSY.

IMHO, the best portrayal of FSY was by Willie Chan in Burning Paradise. To me, THAT's how FSY should be played, and that's how a FSY movie should be.

Find a good new unknown martial arts kid who can act and has charisma, to play the role.

I need to check out that burning paradise again,been 20 years since saw it.I have memory main villain was not so good martial artist but most of his power came from special effects instead of accurate punch/kicks..

then again maybe I remémber wrong

Guest Yi-Long

I thought Burning Paradise was a good movie, and it's depiction of Fong Sai Yuk was the very best I've seen so far, but it's not a great martial arts movie, due to a lack of quality fight-scenes and a disapointing end-fight.

This was Ringo "The Guy Who Directed the Movie that Inspired Reservoir Dogs" Lam's contribution to early 90s kung fu period piece boom. This movie takes Chinese folk heroes Fong Sai Yuk and Hung Hey Kwun and places them in a gritty thriller that frequently borders on horror (There's a neat visual of the passage of time depicted by showing the dead bodies outside the temple in progressive states of decomposition), with Fong being held prisoner in the Red Lotus Temple, a subterranean  fortress cum concentration camp run by a megalomaniacal ex-general who thinks he's the incarnation of the King of Hell. The change of pace is nice, and Ringo makes the film look good, but I actually found the fights a little lackluster, especially the finale, which was tooo wuxia for a movie featuring the founding fathers of hung gar. Jet Li wannabe Willie Chi barely registers on the charisma scale as Fong Sai Yuk, a role Jet did wonders with. Good, but not great.

• Like 2

I had never seen this. I loved it. It deserves a remastered edition. Many scenes (like the villain's) are stereotypical and over the top but the atmosphere is very interesting and the fight scenes are great. 7/10

• Like 3

A young Fong Sai Yuk escapes from the Shaolin Temple pursued by Mings,eventually captured and imprisoned in the Red Lotus Temple run by a crazed barbaric general. Gory and extremely dark martial arts film from Ringo Lam. Excellent movie, the new HK blu ray is a massive improvement on any DVD I've seen. This would fit perfectly into 88 films brand. Whatever happened to the star, Willie Chi? Made 4 movies then seems to have disappeared since 1996.

• Like 3

Goddamnit, I love this film. Ringo Lam’a dark and ultra violent Fong Sai Yuk tale is such an under appreciated gem. The story is simple: Fong Sai Yuk is captured by the Red Lotus Clan after fleeing a burnt down Shaolin. There he has to face the trials and tribulations of a Red Lotus prisoner. That’s the gist of it. It features larger than life characters and some fantastic Wu Shu based and wire assisted action. Did I mentioned it’s super bloody? Unfortunately, the recently released Hong Kong Blu Ray absolutely butchers the subtitles. It makes all the English seem very childlike and takes away from the viewing experience. Dare I ask for a Eureka! release?

• Like 2

On 12/27/2021 at 4:35 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Goddamnit, I love this film. Ringo Lam’a dark and ultra violent Fong Sai Yuk tale is such an under appreciated gem. The story is simple: Fong Sai Yuk is captured by the Red Lotus Clan after fleeing a burnt down Shaolin. There he has to face the trials and tribulations of a Red Lotus prisoner. That’s the gist of it. It features larger than life characters and some fantastic Wu Shu based and wire assisted action. Did I mentioned it’s super bloody? Unfortunately, the recently released Hong Kong Blu Ray absolutely butchers the subtitles. It makes all the English seem very childlike and takes away from the viewing experience. Dare I ask for a Eureka! release?

If you can read French, it has a Spectrum release.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

If you can read French, it has a Spectrum release.

Sadly, I was never any good at French in High School.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 12/27/2021 at 4:35 AM, Drunken Monk said:

Need to check this movie out, how was the sound on the blu-ray?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BLfan said:

Need to check this movie out, how was the sound on the blu-ray?

I felt the sound was excellent. The subtitles were the only issue since they were terrible at times. Lots of “Are you scary?” instead of “Are you scared?”

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Drunken Monk said:

I felt the sound was excellent. The subtitles were the only issue since they were terrible at times. Lots of “Are you scary?” instead of “Are you scared?”

So, you were scared by the scary  subtitles, Isn't it ?:monk_laughing:

• Like 3

Random fact: Know how the alternate title for this movie is Rape of the Red Temple?

Well, the Brazilian VHS for this film was released with the title Rape: O Templo Vermelho (transl. "Rape: The Red Temple"). It's kinda funny, since it paints a completely different picture to us Westerners.

image.png.7ab6befa488c688a20b9c9f3f7c90761.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Random fact: Know how the alternate title for this movie is Rape of the Red Temple?

Well, the Brazilian VHS for this film was released with the title Rape: O Templo Vermelho (transl. "Rape: The Red Temple"). It's kinda funny, since it paints a completely different picture to us Westerners.

image.png.7ab6befa488c688a20b9c9f3f7c90761.png

I love how big the word “Rape” is. Makes it look like a super sleazy CAT III shocker.

• Like 1

I just rewatched Ringo Lam's Burning Paradise, and I gotta say, what a picture! Liked it a lot the first time, this second time LOVED it. Top 3 Ringo right now, though I need to rewatch some more of his pictures soon. He's my second favorite director, and I wish he had made more martial arts/wuxia films, because this one feels so unique. Also, I watched it because there were possible rumors of a release by VinSyn soon. It is quite bloody and a little gory, so I really hope this is the one that VinSyn teased is coming in November. They said it was gonna be "an ultraviolent actioner from one of the undisputed masters of HK cinema." The word actioner has me thinking it probably won't be this one, but I hope! The HK blu of this isn't too bad tbh, it's not an upscale, but the audio is a shitty 5.1 remix and the subs are of course not very good like usual, but at least it's picture is much better than most of the HK blus I own.

• Like 2