Five Element Ninja/Chinese Super Ninja - Tokyo Shock vs. IVL

John

I'm totally buying into the hype on this one and am deciding on a disc. IIRC the title card might be different but is the Tokyo Shock in any way superior to the IVL? I think 21CAD is too much to pay for a DVD on amazon, so I'd prefer to go to dddhouse in this case.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fang Shih-yu

If you like "extras" on your DVDs, then these two versions of Five Element Ninjas each have something different to offer!:neutral: TS's disc has an English dub, original Shaw trailer, Celestial trailer, other trailers, photo gallery, and an "easter egg"! I do not know exactly what all is found on the IVL disc, but in general, IVLs have "behind-the-scenes" photos, trailers, "other releases" trailers, color stills (including original poster), [very limited] production notes, and short biographies/filmographies of the lead actors and director. If what you ultimately want is just the movie, grab the one copy in stock (ships in 24 hours) of the IVL at playasia.com for $12.20; it's a better price than at Amazon OR DDDHouse!:wink: It's still there as of 12:18 AM!

dionbrother

TS has a Lo Mang interview. You can get it cheap at Deepdiscount.com(unless you are outside the US), but mine arrived after a two week backorder. I guess it is a good thing that it has to be backordered, because I've heard that domestic companies are taking a bath on these releases. Bootlegs from George Tan and Red Sun have polluted the market and devalued the titles.

I have to wait a little for the next haul and I'm getting stuff at dddhouse anyway...it's listed at 85HKD - they say that's 10.90USD and xe.com says 10.9067USD...playasia's got free shipping or something?

Thanks for the pointers. I recall reading something about IVL discs and improper PAL-NTSC mastering going on; although I suppose I'd hear more about it if it was still an issue.

Fang Shih-yu
I have to wait a little for the next haul and I'm getting stuff at dddhouse anyway...it's listed at 85HKD - they say that's 10.90USD and xe.com says 10.9067USD...playasia's got free shipping or something?

Play-Asia has its range of shipping options, actually; the fact that they have a copy right there ready to go with 24 hours is a plus if you don't want to wait very long to get one! That said, the lower prices you mention for xe.com and DDDHouse may be worth pursuing if you're looking for a bargain!:wink: I almost forgot about the Lo Meng interview on the TS DVD! (I have my copy packed away for moving, so it's been a while since I last looked at it!) It's this "extra" that drew me to get this disc over the IVL!... Now you know what each disc has to offer, you'll chose your preference!:smile: Either way, you'll be getting a fun, "late-period" Chang Cheh movie! Let us know what you think of it...whenever you watch the thing!:tongue:

Thanks for the pointers. I recall reading something about IVL discs and improper PAL-NTSC mastering going on; although I suppose I'd hear more about it if it was still an issue.

I'm sure someone will correct this if its wrong but I believe Media Blasters and Dragon Dynasty are doing thier own remastering and have corrected the PAL-NTSC goof thats on the ILV dvd's.

I had a burned copy of the ILV but still bought the Media Blasters for the better picture and english dub.

make believe

I will probably end up getting the Tokyo Shock one sooner or later for the widescreen picture and the cantonese track but I'm disappointed they sort of messed up the english dub track.

I'd recommend Tokyo Shock as it'll no doubt have a better transfer (as Inframan says), subtitles and extras. Better all-round product. I don't think this has a Cantonese track included?

I wish I could rent these before buying them (just to see the film if I like it), but I'm in the UK.

make believe

I guess I am wrong in thinking this movie was supposed to be cantonese originally. I thought it was for some reason. So then it's mandarin?

As far as the transfer goes, isn't this the same as the Celestial transfer?

I read this transfer also has missing frames to remove print damage etc.

Here is the link for those who are interested:

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/02/five-element-ninjas-1982-review.html

Interesting. I tried looking for more concrete information on the issue with the PAL/NTSC botched transfers and nothing is immediately apparent; it's all very vague. In any event, the Media Blasters looks to be the most reliable here. KIND OF A BUMMER - I reckon even Chang Che isn't worth over 20 bucks on anything but a Blu-ray - I'll probably check out Delightful Forest et al in HD and put this on the backburner. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess I am wrong in thinking this movie was supposed to be cantonese originally. I thought it was for some reason. So then it's mandarin?

People were saying that, yeah. A Cantonese track wasn't found I don't think.

As far as the transfer goes, isn't this the same as the Celestial transfer?

It won't have any conversions issues like the IVL DVD.

I read this transfer also has missing frames to remove print damage etc.

Here is the link for those who are interested:

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2010/02/five-element-ninjas-1982-review.html

Bugger. Yeah, Celestial's corner-cutting which means they'll remove frame-splices, some damage and what was also suspected to be random undamaged footage altogether.

Interesting. I tried looking for more concrete information on the issue with the PAL/NTSC botched transfers and nothing is immediately apparent; it's all very vague.

Can you explain?

In any event, the Media Blasters looks to be the most reliable here. KIND OF A BUMMER - I reckon even Chang Che isn't worth over 20 bucks on anything but a Blu-ray - I'll probably check out Delightful Forest et al in HD and put this on the backburner. Thanks for the heads up.

Think 'Delightful' is one of the worst of Blu-Rays visually of a Shaw film?

I was looking for some kind of list or criteria to determine what IVLs would be worth picking up in future - as far as I can tell it's a crap shoot with the best stuff being the newest. I haven't grabbed DF on Blu and probably won't this time around, which is a shame I suppose as I hear it's a better Cheh effort. I will be grabbing The Heroic Ones however; IIRC that disc is actually a nominal HD effort and there weren't any production issues. Is the BD the best way to see DF or is there a better DVD around?

I was looking for some kind of list or criteria to determine what IVLs would be worth picking up in future - as far as I can tell it's a crap shoot with the best stuff being the newest. I haven't grabbed DF on Blu and probably won't this time around, which is a shame I suppose as I hear it's a better Cheh effort. I will be grabbing The Heroic Ones however; IIRC that disc is actually a nominal HD effort and there weren't any production issues. Is the BD the best way to see DF or is there a better DVD around?

DF?

Our very own oldeschool posted a comparison at Bullets'n'Babes.:bigsmile:

make believe
People were saying that, yeah. A Cantonese track wasn't found I don't think.

Bugger. Yeah, Celestial's corner-cutting which means they'll remove frame-splices, some damage and what was also suspected to be random undamaged footage altogether.

So wait, which would be the correct audio? Mandarin or Cantonese?

Has there been a review posted on here for this disc? I didn't find any. I would like to know just how distracting those frame splices are. It's a damn shame either way. It would be nice to finally upgrade from my VHS transfer.

So wait, which would be the correct audio? Mandarin or Cantonese?

Has there been a review posted on here for this disc? I didn't find any. I would like to know just how distracting those frame splices are. It's a damn shame either way. It would be nice to finally upgrade from my VHS transfer.

Pretty sure most if not all Chang Cheh was Mandarin; I watched it and didn't notice any frame splices, I wasn't aware of them though so it might be noticable if you are looking for them.

To me this looks and sounds as good as the other recent MB relases. Go for it Dale, or is it Rusty Shakleford?

So wait, which would be the correct audio? Mandarin or Cantonese?.

People were saying the film should have been Cantonese, but all Celestial had was the Mandarin soundtrack.

If you are referring to FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS, the frame cutting is only immediately noticeable to those who are familiar with the film as in those having seen it a multitude of times. Celestial wanted to remove any and all signs of print damage to make the films look as new as possible most likely to attract as many Asian fans as they could considering Asians generally avoid old movies like a vampire to garlic.

I own both discs and the MB disc comes out the better of the two. The colors are stronger and more vibrant (the IVL already looks good, itself) and the extras are better. Sadly, the Lo Mang interview, while good, offers no information on the making of the movie itself, but focuses on his time with Chang Cheh and Shaw Brothers.

Archived