Wu Xia (2011) (aka 武俠, Dragon)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You might change your mind after you see it with subs. Kaneshiro is a crucial part of the story.

Not to mention he's a good actor.

I don't care how good or bad it is, it has Hui Ying Hung in it it. Do we need any more reason to see it? In any case, never mind how many fights are in it, what is the quality of those fights?

Do we need any more reason to see it?

Depends on whether you want to see mere action or the whole thing. That's one thing that separates posters here from one another.

I've already seen the action and I can definitely say they are well staged and up a level creatively (Donnie's choreography is growing and evolving in each film) despite being in less numbers. But I'm also really curious to see how it is since it's directed by one of the best Hong Kong directors at the moment.

just saw it and liked it. i liked wang yu in it, i expected him to be doubled alot but i don`t think he was. he handled himself better in this than he did in some of his early movies imo (never been a big wang yu fan).

beautiful scenery ,well directed and the acting was great. quality fight scenes , just not many of them.

will definately buy whan available.

Elemental Fist
It wasn’t the fact that kung-fu star Donnie Yen topped China’s box office that was surprising. The surprise was what it pushed aside on the charts.

The martial-arts movie “Wu Xia” starring Mr. Yen powered to the top of China’s box office last week by overtaking “Beginning of the Great Revival,” a heavily promoted, government-supported propaganda epic about the early days of the Communist Party.

“Wu Xia,” which opened July 4, pulled in 101 million yuan ($15.6 million) for the week ending July 10, according to Beijing-based media-research firm EntGroup Inc., more than three times the 31.3 million yuan earned by No. 2 “Revival.”

That film, whose all-star cast includes Chow Yun-fat, Fan Bingbing, Andy Lau, Liu Ye and Daniel Wu, covers China’s history from the fall of the Qing Dynasty in 1911 to the founding of the Communist Party in 1921. Pushed hard by the government as part of the Communist Party’s 90th-anniversary celebrations, “Revival” has earned a total of 348.45 million yuan since opening on June 15. Movie chains in the country vowed “all-out efforts” to promote it and nearly 30 other less-prominent films that were produced for the anniversary, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported last month.

The Wall Street Journal’s Jeremy Page reported earlier this month that many government employees were required to see “Revival” and cinemas were ordered not to premiere Hollywood summer blockbusters during its run. But this best-laid of plans seemed not to take into account that a homegrown product like “Wu Xia” might knock the government’s champion off its perch.

“Wu Xia” is a cat-and-mouse thriller about a repentant killer whose past catches up with him as he hides out in a remote village. The $20 million drama from director Peter Chan also stars Takeshi Kaneshiro, Tang Wei and Jimmy Wang Yu.

Mr. Yen’s career has taken off in recent years, as a string of hits showcasing his martial-arts prowess made him a top box-office draw in mainland China. Mr. Chan said Wednesday he was pleased his film managed to top the box-office charts last week despite the “competitive environment.” The film is opening gradually in other markets around Asia this month, and a U.S. release is expected later this year under the title “Dragon.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/scene/2011/07/14/donnie-yen-tops-chinese-propaganda-film/

OK I just finished watching this movie, and I'm sorry to say I was totally disappointed with this movie, it just dragged on and on for almost 3/4 of the movie no action! And there really was just 3 fight scenes, and not very good either, the camera work was very sloppy some of the worst I've seen and I 'm really surprised coming from a Donnie Yen movie. Jimmy Wang Yu was Great he was a total Badass villain, This movie just dragged on about his past, and really didn't show or tell much about it either! I'm more pissed that I actually paid $15 to buy this movie! Overall One of the Worst Donnie Yen movies I've seen. And I'll be very honest I don't think I'd watch it again anytime soon! I really don't know what else to say about it except I found it really boring! I mean it had a good storyline with a man trying to erase his past starting from scratch but his past catches up with him. But it didn't explain it that much I guess they wanted you to figure it out.

ShaOW!linDude

Sorry to hear you got burned, bro. That sux!

This film never really seemed that appealing to me but I was prepared to watch it simply based on the fact it is a DY movie. I still might but only if it ever hits a cable movie channel. I certainly won't be shucking out the bucks for it.

Originally Posted by daisho2004

I'm more pissed that I actually paid $15 to buy this movie!

Buy it where??? :tinysmile_angry2_t:

As far as I know there's not even a date set for a DVD / BD release...

Besides, a Chan Ho Sun film with sloppy fight scenes and the "worst camera work" you've seen...? Wow, I'm truly puzzled! I mean, this is one director / producer who never really let me down so far, no matter the type of "genre" he takes on. Can't wait to get my hands on this and see it for myself...

Thanks for the review. I'm still going to judge for myself rather than take other people's words right away.

Yeah, same here.

Like Billy Lo says: "I'd rather see a good movie with very little action, than a lame movie with a lot of action"

I got it from this Guy who sells Asian movies in New Jersey at the Mall!

Listen everyone has to judge it for themselves, what I Love you might hate, & vice versa. This movie just dragged on & on.

odioustrident

I thought the action scenes were ok; they're on the same creative level as every other period piece we've seen in the last few years. The quality isn't so different from Ip Man 1/2, Lost Bladesman, Bodyguards and Assassins etc... The barn fight was certainly decent.

The only fresh choreography I've seen recently was in Reign of Assassins and that was due to the wirework.

Good point. Especially when some say The Deer Hunter dragged on and on with hardly any action.

mpm74: Perfect example I hated The Deer Hunter to me it did drag on & on! But again I haven't seen it in years. But trust me this movie did drag on!

mpm74: Perfect example I hated The Deer Hunter to me it did drag on & on! But again I haven't seen it in years. But trust me this movie did drag on!

I watched The Deer Hunter a few months ago, after purchasing it a few years ago...:tongue:

It's an excellent film and even though not a lot of action present, the dialogue and character development is what sets up the 3rd act. If you are a person that is driven by action, certain fare may not work well with you... Then again, if you're one of the people who complain these films need more character driven stories, then there has to be a medium.

The films of today are doing so much better than the movies of the 60's and 70's where endless 20 min., senseless, fight scenes dominated.

Just my opinion.

I thought the action scenes were ok; they're on the same creative level as every other period piece we've seen in the last few years.

Really? I can see where some people relate the same quality of Hong Kong action with all recent movies of the past few years but as far as Donnie's own creative level goes, it's far beyond the conventional standards of other action directors today. People may be satisfied or not but in any movie where he's the choreographer there's always something new and different that isn't attempted otherwise. SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate, Flash Point to Legend Of The Fist, and The Lost Bladesman are certainly not on the same creative level of Ip Man movies, Bodyguards & Assassins, Reign Of Assassins and other recent martial arts movies. They are a step ahead.

The barn fight is the only action set-piece that belongs in traditional HK style archetype but the other two set-pieces are attempts never made in Hong Kong action choreography before.

odioustrident

The barn fight is the only action set-piece that belongs in traditional HK style archetype but the other two set-pieces are attempts never made in Hong Kong action choreography before.

There are a couple new ideas in the other 2 fights, but not nearly enough to impress people IMO. They didn't feel like attempts at anything to me but I'll take another look, especially if we're taking recent tv choreography into account too.

SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate, and Flash Point were all pretty fresh actionwise..... Lost Bladesman was not nearly as creative, and I'd lump Wu Xia in with that film. I actually hadn't even taken a look Legend of the Fist because I thought it would be shit. On reading your comment I took a look online. Seems to be top shelf screenfighting for this era!

Spoiler Alert

No I love a great storyline and the Action can come in 2nd. as in the Deer Hunter. But this movie just dragged on with The Detective trying to put all the pieces together and showing his point of view, this it could've been cut in half then it would've been better, but the Action and heart of the Storyline really didn't come into play until the movie was almost over! So That is my point! And it really didn't make any sense for Donnie to cutoff his own arm to cut his ties with his Clan! Just my own Opinion

There are a couple new ideas in the other 2 fights, but not nearly enough to impress people IMO. They didn't feel like attempts at anything to me but I'll take another look, especially if we're taking recent tv choreography into account too.

Lost Bladesman was not nearly as creative, and I'd lump Wu Xia in with that film. I actually hadn't even taken a look Legend of the Fist because I thought it would be shit. On reading your comment I took a look online. Seems to be top shelf screenfighting for this era!

Well like I said, people may be satisfied or not. You don't have to like everything new and at the same time can't really dismiss creativity behind something that's unlike stuff before. To put it short, Legend Of The Fist continues the comic-book traditions of Dragon Tiger Gate in updated form blending over the top elements with realism. The Lost Bladesman uses a grounded and realistically different weapons style unlike many recent period movies that otherwise takes advantage of spears, crossbows/arrows and swords in army vs army fights and done in exaggerated ways (Reign Of Assassins included). Wu Xia uses anatomy aspects and different film language in the fights to integrate them faithfully in the story opposed to just adding senseless fight scenes.

But in the end, you think the fights in Wu Xia are ok so I'll leave it at that and respect your opinion.

Archived