Wu Xia (2011) (aka 武俠, Dragon)

Guest WuxiaFan
I hope the slow motion and other stylistic choices don't make this film less entertaining

I'm with you on that. I'm not sure I like the x-ray vision of the nervous system, veins, and organs being damaged upon impact. I can't think of what other movie they did that in, but it was annoying. Maybe it fits with Kaneshiro's character...:confused:

Other than that, Donnie Yen looks just awesome and I'll be looking forward to seeing it. :smile:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude
I'm with you on that. I'm not sure I like the x-ray vision of the nervous system, veins, and organs being damaged upon impact. I can't think of what other movie they did that in, but it was annoying. Maybe it fits with Kaneshiro's character...:confused:

They did something similar in Romeo Must Die. Didn't Fearless use a shot or two like that as well?

Wow. One of those pictures is definitely a "spoiler" lol Now we finally know why it's sort of a "remake"....

Thanks for updating this thread guys.

Wow. One of those pictures is definitely a "spoiler" lol Now we finally know why it's sort of a "remake"....

Thanks for updating this thread guys.

You are right... post edited

i went to the cinema today.. i was so excited... donnie yen, kara hui, jimmy wang... it must be good,right?

the truth is that i was a little bit dissapointed by this movie.

The flick is not (only) about martial arts scenes, but more about the background of the characters. They spent a lot of film on showing Liu (Donnie)'s past, how he changed from his past, his new life and such (his relationship with his wife, his sons, etc).

The fighting scenes are just a few.. the longest ones are Donnie Vs Kara Hui, Donnie Vs Jimmy Wang. Between the two, i loved the first one.

The final duel between Donnie and Jimmy was so and so.. i know Jimmy is old now, but i was expecting more than that (from both actors).

But the worst and most dissapointed part is the ending of the fight between Donnie and Jimmy... you have these 2 big actors and u make a shitty finale like that? are u serious? I was "what the fuck?!?" .... i will not spoil anything but it just sucks.

I loved the set of the movie though.. Yunnan is gorgeous..

6.5/10

daisho2004

WOW! That's sounds like a big let down! fiol: So again this sounds like a movie that should've been made in 2 parts?

WOW! That's sounds like a big let down! fiol: So again this sounds like a movie that should've been made in 2 parts?

No i think it would have been useless to make it in 2 parts,It works well for its 115min.

It's just i expected more fights (i didnt watch any trailers, i just went straight to the cinema).

The major let down was the final fight anyway.. trust me you would never expect how it ends..

I didn't expect it either, but I thought it fit with the themes. I enjoyed the film as a whole.

Just saw it and here's my review...no real spoilers.

First, I saw it without subtitles, so my view may be totally different after I see it with subs.

Story

-I was clueless! I wouldn't say it's complex story, but it wasn't easy to follow either. By the way it looks, I didn't like it. It didn't seem to follow the "one armed swordsman" storyline. It's better than Chen Zhen by a large margin...and probably better than lost swordsman..which seems like a disapointed as well.

Characters

-I hate Takeshi Kaneshiro. I don't think he fights at all. He's just an observer and talks most of the time. Actually, it relates to the story as he's narratting much of the time. It's useless in my opinion. I wished they had just let this movie flowed and speak for itself rather than him going back to parts of the movie and talked.

Fighting

-There was not enough fighting, but when they did fight, it was pretty good.

-Don't worry about the slow motion....it wasn't a big part of the movie. It wasn't corny like the trailer, which was my biggest threat.

Conclusions

I would say it's a bad (but watchable) to okay movie. Good enough to add to the collection and when you watch, just fast forward to two good fight scenes, and that's it.

I might change my mind after the subs..I doubt it.

It didn't seem to follow the "one armed swordsman" storyline.

Wu Xia isn't a remake of The One-Armed Swordsman (despite few references and having Wang Yu himself in it). Peter Chan was supposed to make a remake but couldn't because he lost the rights to it so he made a completely different movie, hence all confusion by the media during production.

They probably shouldn't have made the film in my opinion. Though the original is bad now due to its time, i'm sure that it was the shizzel back in th days and anybody that watch it would see that it would be an amazing remake. In the original, from what i remember, it showed a guy that lost his arm, retrained, found love, and kicked butt. Classic simple story that everybody loves. It seems that they threw away all of the magic in this film. Some good fight scenes though, but overall disapointed.

I think it's time to bring back ipman!

Wu Xia isn't a remake of The One-Armed Swordsman (despite few references and having Wang Yu himself in it). Peter Chan was supposed to make a remake but couldn't because he lost the rights to it so he made a completely different movie, hence all confusion by the media during production.

You might change your mind after you see it with subs. Kaneshiro is a crucial part of the story.

Why does it seem that everyone is being dissapointed by a lot of Yen's recent movies beside Ip Man. I keep hearing not enough fight scenes or dissapointing fight scenes. Maybe hes taking on more then he can handle?

He's taking acting and story more into consideration. And with a short period of time shooting a movie, he can't choreograph more than 3-4 fight scenes at most and focus on the acting at the same time. Ip Man movies are different because he totally focused on his acting while someone else was choreographing him.

Guest Yi-Long

Kara Hui, my kung fu princess, the most gorgeous HK leading lady of kick-ass cinema, had injured her lovely perfect knee during the shooting of this movies. My precious babe what have they done to you!? WHAT HAVE THE DONE TO YOU!?!?!?? THOSE BASTARDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssss!!!!!:laluot_20:

http://grooveasia.com/news/31216/Wai-Ying-Hung-loses-a-piece-of-her-knee

I vow bloody revenge on all those involved! I will never forget nor forgive this!!!:laluot_14:

Archived