Wu Xia (2011) (aka 武俠, Dragon)

Guest Ricksomchai

Whats all this talk of Tony Jaa AKA Tatchakorn Yeerum and Donnie Yen doing a film together? I knoww Jaa is now a monk but after that short lived Monkhood will they really work together?:tongue:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Donnie Yen to Star in "Wu Xia"

Donnie Yen has landed the lead role in director Peter Chan's new martial-arts film "Wu Xia" (provisionally "Swordsman"), the Beijing Times reports.

Takeshi Kaneshiro, better known to Chinese audiences as Jincheng Wu, has been confirmed as Yen's co-star.

Gong Li has been offered a role but has not yet accepted it, while Chan says a rumor of actress Tang Wei being involved is not true.

Chan reckons there hasn't been a good Chinese sword film since Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000 but he hopes to offer some unique sword-fighting scenes in his movie.

"Wu Xia" will start shooting at the end of the month in southwest China's Yunnan Province.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/08/10/2482s587788.htm

Well, there's a cast and a half. With Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro already signed on to star in Peter Chan's remake of Chang Cheh's One Armed Swordman - Chan's version is currently being referred to simply as Wuxia - word is now out that Chan has offered one of the female leads to Gong Li.

Apparently Chan visited the set of the Chinese remake of Mel Gibson's What Women Want - I did not make that up - which Li is starring in to offer her the role. He is still waiting for a response. There are rumors that Tang Wei has been offered the other female lead but Chan has denied those.

Donnie Yen is also on board to choreograph the fight scenes.

Chan reckons there hasn't been a good Chinese sword film since Ang Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000 but he hopes to offer some unique sword-fighting scenes in his movie.

urm Hero? House of Flying Daggers? nah none whatsoever:rolleyes:

Easy for you to say. You and your hand-to-hand MA action fetish haha. :wink2:

The last great sword film was Tsui Hark's The Blade.

Peter Chan's New Movie Starts Shooting

wj0823wx01.jpg

Director Peter Chan's new movie "Wu Xia" starring Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro, better known as Jincheng Wu, has started shooting at Teng Chong, a small town in Yunnan province, Sohu.com reports.

Set in a small village in ancient China, the film tells about murderer on the run (Yen) and an officer of the law who captures him (Kaneshiro), who are appearing together for the first time.

"Swordsmen" is Peter Chan's second film this year, the other being the romance "Waiting" (Deng Dai). His previous films included "The Warlords" ("Tou Ming Zhuang") starring Andy Lau, Jet Li and Jincheng Wu, in 2007.

The female lead and other cast members are yet to be announced.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/08/23/2602s590287.htm

Wu Xia To Begin Production Soon

-- Wuxia --

The crew, including director Peter Chan, and cast, Donnie Yen, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tang Wei, for Wu Xia have been arriving on the set in Tengchong, Yunnan in the past few days to get ready for production of the film, which has been held up due to extreme weather conditions, such as storm, flood, brought about by climate change, further fueled by El Nino effects. Director Peter Chan says they are beginning production soon so as not to eat into the schedule of Donnie Yen's next film Monkey King.

Peter Chan indicates that Wuxia is an original script which marries action, physics, medical science with special effects to look at martial arts, such as how powerful a blow could be, and how different the impact would be when a fist lands on a martial arts exponent versus on a regular person. While Wu Xia is set in Manchu dynasty, Donnie Yen, who is also serving as the action director, and Takeshi Kaneshiro need not shave their head.

In Wuxia, Donnie Yen, who hides a dark past, lives in a small village. When an unthinkable homicide was committed, Takeshi Kaneshiro comes to investigate, only to discover a more sinister conspiracy, with Donnie Yen being the prime suspect. It's speculated that Tang Wei would play Donnie Yen or Takeshi Kaneshiro's wife.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/851-Wu-Xia-To-Begin-Production-Soon.html

Chan set to shoot Wu Xia starring Yen, Kaneshiro

Hong Kong’s Peter Ho-sun Chan is set to start shooting $20m action thriller Wu Xia, starring Donnie Yen, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Chinese actress Tang Wei.

Produced and financed by Chan’s We Pictures, the project marks Chan’s first film as director since the 2007 war epic The Warlords and the first time that leading Asian stars Yen (Bodyguards And Assassins) and Kaneshiro (The Warlords) have appeared in a film together.

The film will start shooting at the end of August in the high altitude landscapes of Tengchong in China’s Yunnan province.

Yen plays a killer who has repented of his deeds and is taking refuge in a remote village, while Kaneshiro plays a detective who is trying to track him down.

Behind-the-scenes talent includes Oscar-nominated production designer Yee Chung Man (Curse Of The Golden Flower), costume designer Dora Ng (Bodyguards And Assassins) and DoP Jake Pollock (The Message). Yen will also be the action choreographer on the film.

Chan says he aims to rejuvenate the martial arts genre with the project. “It’s been ten years since the only great martial arts film like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came along, which is why I want to give this genre a reboot.

“I want to demonstrate the physicality and lethality of martial arts by injecting medical and scientific elements into action choreography, and I know I wouldn’t have done it without a partner like Donnie Yen, who I think is the best action director in the world today.”

The film is scheduled for wide release in the second half of 2011. World sales will be handled by Chan’s sales outfit We Distribution.

http://www.screendaily.com/territories/asia-pacific/chan-set-to-shoot-wu-xia-starring-yen-kaneshiro/5017384.article

Chan says he aims to rejuvenate the martial arts genre with the project. “It’s been ten years since the only great martial arts film like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon came along, which is why I want to give this genre a reboot.

Someone needs to burn a copy of Ip Man for this Peter Chan guy.

I know, not exactly a Wu Xia film... but... you get my point.

indeed...and Fearless....and Fighter in the Wind...ect ect lol....guess he's not a huge MA fan but if he's letting Donnie do fight scenes then hope is there...aslong as donnie backs that damn camera up!

Heh, has he been living under a rock?

Also, Kara Hui!

Martial-Arts Actioner 'Wu Xia' Lands International Presales

Peter Ho-Sun Chan's film scored seven-digit presales to Singapore and Malaysia and also sold to Indonesia.

Peter Ho-Sun Chan's martial arts action mystery Wu Xia, now shooting in China with Donnie Yen, Takeshi Kaneshiro and Tang Wei, scored seven-digit presales to Singapore and Malaysia and also sold to Indonesia, We Distribution said at the American Film Market.

Luxuries Resources bought Chan's $20 million period film for Singapore and Malaysia, and PT Teguh Bakti bought the film for Indonesia, We said Wednesday.

Wu Xia marks Chan's return to the director's chair after producing last year's Teddy Chen hit, Bodyguards and Assassins. Chan last directed the Chinese box office hit The Warlords in 2007.

Wu Xia stars Yen (Ip Man) Kaneshiro (Red Cliff) and Tang (Lust Caution) currently are on set with Chan in remote Yunnan province in southwest China, near the border with Burma.

Yen plays a man with a past -- and wicked kung fu skills -- sought by a detective, played by Kaneshiro. Tang plays Yen's wife.

Also starring as the villain is veteran actor Jimmy Wang Yu, best known for his role in Chang Cheh's One Armed Swordsman. Wu Xia will be Wang's first onscreen appearance in 17 years.

At AFM, We Distribution also has the Chan-produced action-fantasy-comedy Mr. & Mrs. Incredible, directed by Vincent Kok and starring Sandra Ng and Louis Koo. That film will be released in Asia during the Lunar New Year period in late January-early February 2011.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/martial-arts-actioner-wu-xia-35438

One Armed Boxer
Also starring as the villain is veteran actor Jimmy Wang Yu, best known for his role in Chang Cheh's One Armed Swordsman. Wu Xia will be Wang's first onscreen appearance in 17 years.

Now this is some interesting news! Twitch have also got wind of it -

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2010/11/jimmy-wang-joins-the-cast-of-peter-chans-wu-xia.php

Wu Xia scores record pre-sales

Wu+Xia+-+Jimmy+Wang+Yu+01.jpg?m=resize&o[geometry]=500x1000&s=fbe844d7ca9eea4a

Sales News

Wu Xia (武俠), the now in-production period action film being directed by Peter Chan (陳可辛), scored early pre-sales ahead of the American Film Market.

The $20 million film, was licensed to Luxuries Resources for both Singapore and Malaysia, with a seven figure price tag that sales agent We Distribution says is a record for the territories. Additionally, the film was licensed to Indonesian distributor PT Teguh Bakti.

Distribution in the 'Greater China' territories of China, Hong Kong and Taiwan are being handled by We Distribution’s own branch offices.

We Distribution reports "intense" bidding interest from buyers in several major territories including the US, UK, France, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand.

Wu Xia stars Donnie Yen (甄子丹), Kaneshiro Takeshi (金城武) and Tang Wei (湯唯) in a story about a detective on the trail of a killer who has assumed a new identity and gone to ground in a quiet village. Veteran action star Jimmy Wang (王羽), who has been away from the big screen for 17 years, also recently joined the cast.

We Distribution is screening extended footage at its booth in AFM.

http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/wu-xia-scores-record-pre-sales?utm_source=fba&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Yup...that's the Wang-ster in his first film in 17 years!!! I find it exciting that he is playing the bad guy in the remake of the very film that made him a star.

Morgoth Bauglir

I wasn't looking forward to this much, but with Wang Yu in it I have to see it ASAP. He looks really evil. Should make for a great bad guy.

Archived