Wu Xia (2011) (aka 武俠, Dragon)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
AAAWwww seediq bale was sooooo good!!!!! i feel sorry for people who see the edited version :(

Yeah bro, right? :bigsmile:

I almost got to see this epic uncut on the big screen at last years NYAFF, but my wife was a few days away from (a scheduled) surgery and I didn't want her sitting alone at home worrying. Big props to those guys for screening it at the festival though! :nerd:

Is there a thread on WARRIORS OF THE RAINBOW: SEEDIQ BALE? If there is, you and I should post on there to make people aware of the film. I feel like it's getting passed by.

EDIT: There is, here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18138&highlight=WARRIORS+RAINBOW%3A+SEEDIQ+BALE

I'll post there about it soon.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I blind bought that bluray opening day. Its split into two parts like Red Cliff cause its so long. I thought it wasn't bad but either way its great that they released both versions. I really hate when I really like a specific scene from a movie just to buy the region 1 release and find that scene has been altered, or omitted. Really takes me out of the movie.

That would be real bad if it were the case. Fingers crossed for the DVD/Bluray to be uncut at least.

Neil Koch

From what I gather, the Weinsteins own the European rights outside of France. The fact that they're using Dragon rather than Wu Xia is probably evidence enough that both the theatrical and home video versions will be the shortened one.

Beside France, the Weinsteins bought global rights except for China, Hong Kong (Media Asia) and UK (bought by Metrodome Group: http://www.screendaily.com/news/distribution/metrodome-picks-up-wu-xia-for-uk/5034262.article). I think they could be using Dragon as a way to promote the movie but whether it is the US version or the original cut has yet to be announced. We'll see.

Its the 98 minute version here in the UK, i just checked cineworld :sad:

Still looking forward to seeing it tonight tho!

WHY would they cut it? its direct to video so theatrical run time doesnt matter. Do they just cut it to piss people off?????

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
WHY would they cut it? its direct to video so theatrical run time doesnt matter. Do they just cut it to piss people off?????

Outrageous. The cuts seriously hurt the film too. Well, there's no positive way of looking at this. Thanks for fucking the fans AGAIN Weinsteins. I held out buying this so that I could support the region 1 release. But I'll be damned if I'm going to buy their bullshit version. I was hoping the UK one would be uncut. But I was disappointed once again. Okay, Hong Kong gets my business.

Thanks for making a cool movie and then not messing it up before releasing it onto home video Hong Kong.

kingofkungfu2002

I was gonna get the UK bluray to upgrade from my HK dvd, but I've just ordered the Australian bluray instead (uncut)

Its the 98 minute version here in the UK, i just checked cineworld :sad:

Such a real shame. Oh well...

Tigerstyles

No mention of Jimmy Wang Yu on the cover even though he was a vhs household name in the 80's ... DAMN

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
does he have a big role?

Yup.

he's just the main bad guy

And he rocks the shit out of this role! Believe it or not, he's a truly intimidating guy in this.

This may be his swansong performance. I heard that he suffered a stroke before WU-XIA even premiered. Hope he recovers. He showed up at Lau Sifu's funeral with a cane I believe. He's getting around, and that's a good sign.

masterofoneinchpunch

I looked through this thread but did not find this Time Out Peter Chan interview (July 20, 2011)

It’s exactly what happens in [Chang Cheh’s] One-Armed Swordsman.

It’s exactly what happens in One-Armed Swordsman, and it’s also exactly what happens in the new One-Armed Swordsman with David Chiang and Ti Lung, and it’s also exactly what happens in John Woo’s – the biggest disciple of Chang Cheh’s – The Killer. It’s the same story! I mean, people say my film is [a reference to David Cronenberg’s 2005 film] A History of Violence, but I think A History of Violence is the fifth or the sixth or the tenth reincarnation of the stuff that we’ve done for the last 40 years.

I finally saw this and while watching this I kept thinking at the beginning that this was a lot like A History of Violence (a film I like quite a bit). Because the similarities go a little further than just someone trying to pretend to be someone they are not. Two criminals get dispatched with haste in both (of course here he pretends to not know what he is doing), the psychological aspects of pretending to be someone you are not, the moment of revealment also felt quite similar (effective in both).

But this was quite an enjoyable film. I liked the use of voice over from Xu Bai-Jiu and the fact he was emotionally crippled from a past incident and makes some hilarious if not almost deadly "mistakes" in judgement. I liked the fight scenes. I thought they were done well. Wang Yu makes a scary and effective bad-ass. Not the father you would like.

I do wish (R1) they released the uncut version, but this version had no major logical inconsistencies. I read a little of what was missing on IMDB.

JackieRome

I talk about it here. I also forced a person to see him with me. Go easy on the negative comments thanks:coveredlaugh

Archived