Wu Xia (2011) (aka 武俠, Dragon)

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to have a bit of faith on US trailers for Hong Kong films. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the movie justice. Wu Xia is a heavily drama-based picture and the trailer makes it look action-packed. So for y'all that haven't seen it and want your action film fixes, don't expect too much.

• Administrator
I'm beginning to have a bit of faith on US trailers for Hong Kong films. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the movie justice. Wu Xia is a heavily drama-based picture and the trailer makes it look action-packed. So for y'all that haven't seen it and want your action film fixes, don't expect too much.

Well said DiP.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, but I'd say go into it expecting an interesting drama with a bit of mystery. And oh, by the way, there are some cool kung fu fights too.

Donnie gives a fantastic performance, Kara is a joy to see, and Jimmy Wang Yu is epic!

I just watched Wu Xia last night and i loved every moment of it. I think it is a exelent movie and one of Donnie Yens best performances. Like Bob said the cast is great, Kara is great, Wang Yu is badass and Takeshi Kaneshiro is fantastic.

Sure there is not non-stop kung fu, but the action is cool and the drama is interesting. I dont regard is at a drama movie, more a kung fu movie. Anyway, genres aside it is just great cinema.

A new interview with Donnie on the movie. Fascinatingly, Donnie reveals an alternate ending that was supposed to be the original one but never made it in the final cut.

"We actually have an alternative ending which I thought was quite innovative and unfortunately we had to cut it out because of [Chinese] censorship," Yen said, shaking his head.

"Jimmy Wang was chasing me to the second floor and he was beating me up and my son came out and stabbed him from behind," Yen explained. "So it was like the father is beating up the son, and the grandson is hurting the grandfather. The grandfather turns around and is looking at the grandson and giving no reaction. And the kid is obviously crying, and I was holding Jimmy’s leg to restrain him from hurting my son. The whole triangular emotion of the situation was really awkward. Which I thought could be the essence of the whole scene, the odd way the grandfather turned around and looked at his grandson and actually smiled, like the grandson had his blood.”

“Right away Peter [Chan] knew that it crossed the censorship line, so we shot it and took it to all of the China censors and they thought it was too powerful. He [Chan] played it safe, said he loved the ending, but we couldn’t have it.”

Yen wasn't sure if the alternate ending will even make it onto special edition DVD releases in the future. “I don’t know if Harvey [Weinstein] will recognize that ending because, I believe, when he bought the film it was already edited out."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/25/donnie-yen-dragon-interview_n_2017197.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Wow that is pretty interesting. I would love to see that find it's way onto a DVD/BR someday, either as a deleted scene or an alternate ending the viewer can actually put into the movie.

Was anyone else aware of this? Also from DiP's link:

You can check out "Dragon" on Video On Demand on October 26 and in limited theatrical release on November 30. It's worth nothing that the upcoming releases of "Dragon" will feature a trimmed down version from of the original Asia release -- by 19 total minutes, streamlining the film to a more briskly paced 97 minutes.

Hopefully if there is a DVD release over here it won't be cut :squigglemouth:

• Administrator

It's not 100%, but the guys at the NYAFF told me that based on their conversations with the US distributor, it looked like the DVD was going to feature both cuts.

I certainly hope so. I've seen both versions, and I feel like the edited one removed several very good scenes, and IMO this hurt the film.

That's good to hear. I have a bootleg (bonzai media :P ) of the uncut version and I will definitely buy the US release if it has both cuts!

One Armed Boxer

Just got through watching this, with most recent Hong Kong martial arts based movies I like to wait a year or so before watching them, as it seems the majority of views from people who watch it upon release are like knee jerk reactions as to how it played out against their own expectations. Reading back through this thread it's amazing to see people calling 'Wu Xia' things like 'boring' & 'dull'....this is probably one of the best HK movies featuring martial arts to come out in a long time, at the very least it should be recognized as an excellently crafted story and homage to the era it's so influenced by.

Yen is on fine acting form here, and I'd put this next to '14 Blades', 'Ip Man', & 'Flash Point' as being his best movies from the last 5 years....the rest of his output within the same timeframe has been pretty forgettable for me. It goes to show what a big difference it makes being under a quality director like Peter Chan, and he's surrounded by an excellent supporting cast of the gorgeous Tang Wei, the still gorgeous Kara Hui, a truly menacing Wang Yu, & most significantly Kaneshiro Takeshi.

If anything Takeshi's character is given as much substance & depth as Yen's, as an eccentric investigator who's obsession with science & the law even hints at him being a little mentally unstable, particularly in the part were he thrusts a blade into Yen's shoulder, believing Yen's Qi power would leave him unharmed from the blow.

While the action is sparse, it really shouldn't be what anyone is watching the movie for, it's first and foremost a mystery thriller, and a great one at that. But for what it's worth, when it does come it's well worth the wait, with the opportunity to see Yen performing some very rare shapes work in scenes that are given extra impact due to them actually serving to progress the story, rather than just punctuating it.

Much of everything else I could say about 'Wu Xia' has no doubt been said before in the previous pages, but for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, you're missing out on a great movie and should check it out as soon as possible.

Jeru the Damaja

I've been patiently waiting for this movie to come out on dvd/blu in the US, but there is still no official release date. What's the hold up? The movie has been out in Hong Kong since 2011. I think it had a limited run in theaters in the US and UK so why haven't we heard anything about an official release?

I've been patiently waiting for this movie to come out on dvd/blu in the US, but there is still no official release date. What's the hold up? The movie has been out in Hong Kong since 2011. I think it had a limited run in theaters in the US and UK so why haven't we heard anything about an official release?

Why wait?...just buy the HK release, at least you know then that your getting the full version.

Jeru the Damaja
Why wait?...just buy the HK release, at least you know then that your getting the full version.

Trust me, I thought about it, but I usually prefer to buy the region 1 releases if they are available. However, it looks like I won't have to wait much longer.

http://www.cityonfire.com/dragon-aka-wu-xia-blu-ray-dvd-anchor-bay-donnie-yen/

Drunken Monk

TheUS Blu Ray and DVD get released in the Us on April 16th. Bad news? They only contain the 98 minute cut down version.

TheUS Blu Ray and DVD get released in the Us on April 16th. Bad news? They only contain the 98 minute cut down version.

didnt know there was a cut version. ive never seen the movie so when i bling buy it when im getting Django,i should still enjoy it

Drunken Monk
didnt know there was a cut version. ive never seen the movie so when i bling buy it when im getting Django,i should still enjoy it

Apparently some character development has been trimmed as well as some music.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

Trust me, I thought about it, but I usually prefer to buy the region 1 releases if they are available. However, it looks like I won't have to wait much longer.

I usually wait for the R1 release too. That way I support domestic releases of Asian films and usually you get better English subtitles.

What?! :tinysmile_angry2_t: Are you sure? :squigglemouth: Where did you hear this?

It's listed on Blu-ray.com as being 114 minutes, though there's not a review yet.

Apparently some character development has been trimmed as well as some music.

I watched the full, uncut version several times, and I really dig it. Then when I saw it at the NYAFF last year I was shocked when the print (which I later found out was provided by the Weinsteins :neutral:) was edited! For me, the cuts really take a major toll on the film. I was really pissed off. But the word going around was that the R1 release was being done by a new branch of their company that were more sympathetic/respectful of the films, and that it would most likely be released with both versions on the discs. Let's hope this is still the case. I will NOT be supporting their R1 release if it's the cut version only. Fingers crossed.

Drunken Monk
What?! :tinysmile_angry2_t: Are you sure? :squigglemouth: Where did you hear this?

Twitch apparently got an copy and reported that it's actually the cut version. Whether that's actually the case I don't know, but it seems pretty legit.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Twitch apparently got an copy and reported that it's actually the cut version. Whether that's actually the case I don't know, but it seems pretty legit.

:tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t::tinysmile_angry2_t: Must stop... biting... computer monitor...

The eternal optimist in me is still holding out some hope... Maybe Twitch got a screener copy that didn't include both cuts? :angel:

I'd just go with the Hong Kong BD but if you still want to get the movie else where, wait for the UK BD (Metrodome).

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I'd just go with the Hong Kong BD but if you still want to get the movie else where, wait for the UK BD (Metrodome).

I hear you man.

When the R1 is released on Tuesday I'll check the reviews. If it is cut, then I'll see which version, the HK or the UK one, has better extras and just get that version.

It's pretty crazy though... 2013 and they still can't get it right. Stop cutting the movies up! I can put up with stupid DVD covers and asinine re-titlings, but I want the movie left alone! They're one of the biggest movie companies in the world, but with the smallest respect!

I just recently watched the completely uncut version of WARRIORS OF THE RAINBOW: SEEDIQ BALE (Part 1 & Part 2). It's 4.5 hours long, yet Well Go USA had the good sense, and respect for the material to release it UNCUT... UNABRIDGED in any way shape or form. :smile:And, they included a second disc loaded with fantastic extras. :nerd: That's the way it's done Weinstein Company! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

lillippa328

I just recently watched the completely uncut version of WARRIORS OF THE RAINBOW: SEEDIQ BALE (Part 1 & Part 2). It's 4.5 hours long, yet Well Go USA had the good sense, and respect for the material to release it UNCUT... UNABRIDGED in any way shape or form. :smile:And, they included a second disc loaded with fantastic extras. :nerd: That's the way it's done Weinstein Company! :tinysmile_angry2_t:

AAAWwww seediq bale was sooooo good!!!!! i feel sorry for people who see the edited version :(

Archived